IIS broken after installing ForeFront.

Question

•  

After installing ForeFront on a x64 Windows 2003 IIS Machine, and applications pools are recycled, or IIS stopped and started I run into issues with all non SharePoint sites. on the server...  All sites get Service Unavailable.  In the event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC-WP
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2214
    Date:  5/2/2007
    Time:  1:26:39 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: ARIEL
    Description:
    The HTTP Filter DLL C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Forefront Security\SharePoint\FSSPUsernameFilter.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 05 00 00 00               ....   

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC-WP
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2268
    Date:  5/2/2007
    Time:  1:32:46 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: ARIEL
    Description:
    Could not load all ISAPI filters for site/service.  Therefore startup aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 05 00 00 00               ....   

If I remove the isapi module from the root, and apply it to only the SharePoint web sites, everything seems okay.  I haven't yet, tested if ForeFront AV actually is catching any virii...

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:40 PM

All replies

• I have encountered this error as well (with similar hardware/software).  On one installation everything worked fine, but on the other, I received the above error.  It appears that the installer did not assign the appropriate permissions on the following directory: 
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Forefront Security\SharePoint

On the successful installation, the IIS_WPG and the IIS_ADMIN_WPG groups were granted Read & Execute and List folder contents permissions on this folder.  Once these permissions were added, it resolved the issue.

However, I am still unsure why this occured on one server and not the other...

Monday, May 07, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Hi Rory,

When I checked the access...

WSS_ADMIN_WPG and WSS_WPG were granted access.   However, IIS_WPG was not.   I do not have a group called IIS_ADMIN_WPG on any of the machines.

CH

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Greetings,

I also had this "Service Unavailable" problem, and I finally "fixed" it.

I was migrating my Exchange 2003 / LCS 2005 machine to a 64-bit W2K3 Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007 machine.
      I installed Exchange 2007 without a problem, and everything worked fine.
      Whenever I installed OCS 2007, immediately after the installation completed successfully, IIS would still seem to be working, but as soon as a client would try to access any webpage on it ( OWA, for example ), IIS would reply a "Service Unavailable".
      I found out the two reasons for this:

1 - I forgot to "Allow" the Active Server Pages, in IIS->Server->Web Service Extensions, which is required for OCS 2007;
      2 - IIS 6.0 on a W2K3 SP1 machine works in either full 64-bit mode, or a 32-bit on 64-bit mode (WOW64). Exchange 2007 needs it to be in 64-bit for it's web services, while OCS 2007 needs it to be WOW64...

I ended up separating the two services into two different boxes, one 64-bit for Exchange, and one 32-bit for OCS.

I hope this helps someone

Rodrigo Monteiro
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:53 AM
  • You are big man ...
    This is the key !!! But it has to reset permissions to this groups to all childrens ...
    Thanks
    Friday, May 30, 2008 1:00 PM
  • check the following Kb article that has the same error mentioned. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943621
    Cheers,
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:27 PM