none
Chrome updater trojan detected Medfos.B

Question

• On one of my clients' computers Forefront is detecting chrome updater as a trojan, Medfos.B. Both definitions are up to date. Chrome is up to date (v22).

After removing it and updating chrome, Forefront detects the item again. Same version of chrome and forefront on my computer and many others, nothing detected. Should I be worried? 

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2012 2:13 AM

Answers

• I had same problem and apply the latest def. update from microsoft to resolve issue "Definition version 1.137.666.0".
    Friday, September 28, 2012 9:04 PM

All replies

• Upon investigation I found that none of the listed files exist on my own computer. There is no chromeupdate.crx in my Appdata\Local. I scanned my own computer and found nothing. I renamed the file and emailed it to myself, then scanned it with Forefront - virus detected. 

I am guessing that the client's PC is infected with this Trojan, I will attempt to clean it with malwarebytes or something otherwise reimage the machine.

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:53 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with "infection" occurring every 5 minutes. Only started today. Wondering if it is a time delayed Trojan as seeing other reports for today only popping up on the internet.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Uninstalled Java and then MSE detected a virus in the roaming area and the registry and the problem seems to have gone away.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Thanks I'll try that

--- Thanks & regards, James - JSRACS ------------------------

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I had same problem and apply the latest def. update from microsoft to resolve issue "Definition version 1.137.666.0".
    Friday, September 28, 2012 9:04 PM