How to fix the Failed Connection Attempt with PPTP for VPN

Question

• Over the weekend something changed in my settings.  Now I'm not able to Remote into our Security Server and no one is able to VPN into our network anymore. I checked all the rules and everything seems to be ok.  I dont know what happened.  When i go into the logs it shows Failed Conection Attempt.  Result Code 0x8007274d WSAECONNREFUSED.

Can anyone help me with this issue.

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• Do we see PPTP ports in RRAS console?

What is the error message that we see on Client?

Thx, Junaid

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:41 PM
  • I have been trying to figure this issue out for some time now.

We currently have a EBS 2008 enviroment with Forefront TMG installed.

I tried different scenarios. So I reinstalled the RRAS and set up the ports for PPTP.  Everything seems to working fine.  But as soon as I restart that server.
    Everything goes back to the way it was.  Forefront TMG states that the VPN is on and when I go into RRAS PPTP ports disappear.

Im pretty sure it has to do with Forefront TMG but I just cant figure out what.  Can anyone help.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Can you try modifying the field "maximum number of VPN clients allowed" section in TMG VPN client config andapply and sync the config and then try whether your Ports appear in RRAS?
    Bala Natarajan [MSFT]| Sr. Support Escalation Engineer | CSS Security
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:52 PM
  • "I reinstalled the RRAS and set up the ports for PPTP" - is incorrect.

When you use TMG, VPN connectivity can only be configured and managed via the TMG console.
    Also, with EBA, you must use the EBA wizards to ensure that all of the configuration data is carried through to teh proper places.

Jim Harrison Forefront Edge CS
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:49 PM