none
FPSMC tasks generating User Profile Service errors

Question

• I have installed Forefront Protection Server Management Console in our test environment in Standalone Express configuration.  Since the installation I have been seeing errors in the Application Event Log from the User Profile Service.  Most of the errors are 1512:  Windows cannot unload your registry file. The memory used by the registry has not been freed. This problem is often caused by services running as a user account. Try configuring services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. DETAIL - The media is write protected.

I believe these are being generated from the Scheduled Tasks that were created when FPSMC was installed.  The tasks are configured to run as a local user account (SMGR_SERVERNAME) that was also created during the install.  Should I modify the Scheduled Tasks to run as Local System or is there a better way to fix these errors?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:15 PM

All replies

• I am seeing the same Error - Event ID: 1512 - and also, Information - Event ID: 1517

Friday, January 07, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Add me into the mix. I'm seeing the same thing.
    Orange County District Attorney
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:27 PM
  • I am also seeing the same errors/information in the Event log
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I get the same errors, I installed two different systems with the Console and they both show the same errors in the EventLog.
    Any additional info would be welcome...

By the way, did any one ever try the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean) tool (as suggested on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=1512&EvtSrc=Userenv&LCID=1033) ?

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Good question.  I haven't seen these errors but it seems a fair amount of you have.  Has anyone run that user profile hive cleanup service tool that Yves posted above.  It sounds like that would do the trick.

FPMC does create default scheduled tasks on install and if you create any jobs it will create additional scheduled tasks to correspond to those jobs. 

All of my scheduled tasks run as a user (domain\adminaccount) and I do not receive those application log entries.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I actually did some asking around about these events.  Apparently, this is a byproduct of a Windows problem with Task Scheduler not logging off the username after running the scheduled task(s). 

The tasks should run under the account you listed but that has nothing to do with the error so changing it will not resolve the issue.  I was told that changing it to LocalSystem would break everything!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I should also state that this error is benign...
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:47 PM
  • These user profile errors probably occur when your Forefront management installation account is locked down for security purposes.
    Check wether your account is denied logon locally permission is checked.
    If so ask for removal and log on loccally so a profile is created, afterwards the deny log on loccally can be set again.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:59 AM