none
Prompting for username/password for all Outbound Connections

Question

• Hi,

In a month I'm about to hold a LAN-party for 300-350 participators. They will all be connected through switches to my server. This server is then to prompt them for a username and password, before giving them internet access. There is no payment involved and they will have their credentials delivered on a piece of paper.

I have successfully installed TMG, but now I am stuck. I believe, I need to setup a RADIUS server on the machine and then make TMG authenticate through it, but I'm not sure, and so far, I have not been able to make the windows NPS service work. Can anyone provide me with a working tutorial on this, or tell me if it's the right direction?

Apart from this I have also created a new access rule in TMG. I've set it to allow authenticated users on all outbound protocols, however when I open a browser with a client on the internal network, the browser just displays the page "The page could not be found"

Regards,
    TGVLAN

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you don't have to use RADIUS. Make sure that the TMG Server is a member of a Active Directory domain or a local workgroup. If a local workgroup create the user accounts local on the TMG Server. Set the authentication on the TMG Server in the properties of the INTERNAL network definition to basic authentication.

If you want to user user authentication in Firewall policy rules for protocols other than HTTP/HTTPS (inly TCP/UDP) you must install the TMG client on alle client machines!
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794762.aspx

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you don't have to use RADIUS. Make sure that the TMG Server is a member of a Active Directory domain or a local workgroup. If a local workgroup create the user accounts local on the TMG Server. Set the authentication on the TMG Server in the properties of the INTERNAL network definition to basic authentication.

If you want to user user authentication in Firewall policy rules for protocols other than HTTP/HTTPS (inly TCP/UDP) you must install the TMG client on alle client machines!
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794762.aspx

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:56 AM
  • I'll take a look at it, and return if it is not was I am looking for :) I'm going away from RADIUS and just creating the accounts local on the TMG Server.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:07 PM