Scan to word

Question

•  

How do I scan a Document to word

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:18 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry.  I'm not sure what you mean....

Is this in reference to keyword scanning of .doc files?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 3:53 PM
  • D L,

I assume as this is part of the Forefront section you are looking for ways to scan a word document for viruses when uploaded to SharePoint?

If this is the case under the Central Administration > Operations > Antivirus  page you will be able to configure SharePoint to scan files on upload, download and other related settings.   Forefront uses the VSAPI to hook into SharePoint and will scan the document based on you installation.   There are a number of settings in Forefront to define the file types, scan depth (for zip and embedded objects) and the virus scan engines to use.

You will need to install Forefront on each front end web server.

HTH

Andrew

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:12 PM
  • Well, that all depends on whether or not you are using Word 2007 or not.  If the answer is not, from inside Word click Insert..Picture..From camera or scanner.  Choose whether you want it to be print quality or web quality and full scan or custom scan.  This will launch your scanner software and you would scan as usual.

If you are attempting to scan a document with editable text (OCR), launch your OCR scanning program (usually a part of the software that come with the scanner.  Find something that says preferences or options and somewhere in there you will be able to find either OCR or document (as opposed to picture) and a choice as to where to scan it to (pick Word).  Close the options and scan as usual and the document will launch after the scan.

Now, if you're using Word 2007, you are SOL.  Word 2007 does not support direct scanning of any kind, picture or document.  The program is a piece of Apple wannabe junk and I am going back to 2003.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Actually, despite Microsoft's assertion that this function no longer exists, you can still do it by using Alt(I P S).  This was the keyboard shortcut in 2003, and somehow it still exists in 2007, and it still works.  I just tried it.  Maybe Microsoft don't even know that they didn't take it out!

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Actually, idiot, you can scan from Word 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924462

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:48 PM
  •  D L Crawford wrote:

How do I scan a Document to word

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Fautbauxter said:

Actually, idiot, you can scan from Word 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924462

This post may be old, but actually...you're the idiot for calling Harpsichordisit an "idiot".  While your answer was also correct, Harpsichordist's answer satisfied the question/request.

I personally was looking for away to scan directly into a word doc from my scanner/printer. It isn't exactly what a I wanted but it will do.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:29 PM

• Actually, idiot, we want to do this without having to use the clip organizer.  If I wanted to click this many times to do one simple operation I would have bought a mac.

Real PC users will find harpsichordist's comment very helpful.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Wow - I have looked EVERYWHERE for an answer on how to scan directly into Word 2007 w/o having to do the cumbersome, work-around routine of first scanning to Clips and then pasting into word, etc.

"Harpiscordist" (press and hold Alt while individually hitting i-p-s) worked beautifully.

And to Fautbauxter - get some manners dude!
    • Edited by Grrr82CU Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:25 AM
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:22 AM
  • Things can be simplified even more by creating a macro containing the the key strokes. An icon can then be added to the Quick Start bar for point and click operation.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:44 PM

• geez, I've got stonger language for MS. I spent a day and half looking for software to work with Win7 to scan multi-page docs to PDF's. The software I had before I loaded Win7 became useless. MS said you couldnt insert from your scanner into Word 2007 and one of their users comes along and says they are full of s___. Well they are. Alt + IPS works great. If they read this, on the next upgrade they will probably obliterate the convention.

Thanks loads for the tip. Wish I had come across your post earlier this week.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Harpsichordist for President!

TY
    Monday, March 08, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Can anyone tell me how to generate a macro in Word in order to automate the ALT I-P-S key sequence required to initiate an insert from scanner? I have tried but not succeeded.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:00 AM
  • try this.

http://superuser.com/questions/89747/initiate-scan-and-ocr-in-microsoft-office-word-2010-beta

If you follow this you'll get what you want.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Actually, Fautbauxter, you are the idiot.  In Word 2003, you could scan an image from your scanner directly into a Word document.  I am really having a difficult time undersatnding why Microsoft would remove the ability to scan directly into newer versions of Word.  Why would we want to take seven or eight steps to do something that we used to be able to do in one?  Somebody really slipped a cog on this one.  Must have been a new snot-nosed programmer.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Harpsichordist- thank you so much for that tip!  So much easier than using that crazy clip organizer.  Talk about extra steps.  Thank you for posting.

Kevin

Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:12 PM
  • you can scan using office 2007 on windows7 by first go to controll pannel>uninstall progm> office 2007>right click  and chose change>add OR remove Feature> clicl continue>right click Office tools > then go to Microsoft Office documeimaging >left click it and chose Run From My Computernt > clicl continue. After this go to  start>programs>MS office>tools> doc imaging....
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hi

Agreed can be done in 2007....

http://andytechnician.co.uk/how-to-scan-in-editable-text-in-microsoft-word-2007/

Anyone tried with 2010 yet?

Friday, July 09, 2010 2:39 PM
  • This solution is WONDERFUL!  Thanks for the info.  I worked like a chamo and is much easier than using Clip Organizer, especially since that totally failed.  The Clip Organizer scanned fine but the results were not saved anythere.  I searched my entire C: drive and found nothing.  It wasn't in the Clip Organizer folder for our scanner, which is why I searched entire drive.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Well Itried the steps prescribed in the link, and it does not seem to be working. Alt (I P S) does work however. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Hello - I went through the whole rigmarole of getting a Windows Live profile etc., just so that I too could say: Harpsichordist for president!
    Friday, November 05, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi the Alt+IPS works a treat for the kids at school who spent ages looking for the option for inserting from scanner. Now our IT guys know how to do it and all the keyboards on the scanner pcs have a help sticker on them.

Happy teacher (yes we do exist!)

Monday, November 08, 2010 12:15 AM