Error 0x80240016 downloading definition updates

Question

• I came in this morning to the nice orange icon in my tray telling me I needed to download definition updates. When I click on "Check for Updates Now" I get "Error found: Code 0x802400016."

What do I need to do to download the updates?

Thanks.

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Jenifer,

Thanks for your post.  Error 0x80240016 is

WU_E_INSTALL_NOT_ALLOWED

Operation tried to install while another installation was in progress or the system was pending a mandatory restart.

I believe you simply have a reboot pending for this machine.  After doing so you should be able to download definition updates if you are either talking to a WSUS/Distribution server or opted into MicrosoftUpdate.

Thanks,

Craig

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I have the same problem and have tried your suggestions Craig and it hasnt worked.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:25 PM
  • it dosent help me either

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Thanks for your postings,

Just to be clear, I was only advocating the reboot for the exact error number: 0x80240016.  Other error numbers would like require other troubleshooting steps.

Teresa & sonnes: can you post the exact error number you were receiving, is it the same?  Also, has the definition update process ever worked on this machine?

Thanks,

Craig

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:54 PM
  • yes the error no is the same that is why I posted and yes it has worked on this machine.

My computer has two drivers C and D.  The C drive is the smaller of the two.  Could it be this that causes the problem and if so how can I cure it to make the updates go on the D drive?  It is a Sony lap top PCG-GRT240G

Thanks

Teresa.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:49 PM
  • I reinstalled Windows Defender today and when trying to get updates, got the 0x8020016 message.  Have cold booted twice to no avail.  Any other suggestions?
    • Proposed as answer by xiphius Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:38 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:25 AM
  • Teresa,

To help you debug your problem, we will need to dig into your log files to get more information.  Can you do the following for us?

·         Visit our Connect portal bug submission page: http://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=27  

·         Follow the steps to register on the site and then click the 'Feedback' link in the left nav

·         Run %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Forefront\Client Security\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe -GetFiles

·         Gather the cab file from %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Forefront\Client Security\Client\Antimalware\Support  and attach to the bug

We will review it internally and will post back via Connect if it's a specific user problem or post here on the forum if it's a general issue that would likely be beneficial for everyone to see.

mrnno1 – The is a discussion group for Forefront Client Security.  See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx for Defender newsgroup information.

Thanks,

Craig

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:54 PM
  • hellow microsoft people

it just happend to me error 0x80240016
    the defender program suggested that I search for updates
    so I did, but the update (KB915597 ,defenition 1.18.2549.5)
    refuses to install ... then i get error code 80070714
    could it have something to do with SKYPE ?

what can I do ?
    btw: i have vista
    • Proposed as answer by xiphius Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:40 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Hi!

By the way, did you ever figure out what the problem is with the 80070714 code?  That's what I keep getting when I try to update Windows Defender, and I can't find an answer anywhere on the Microsoft website.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:34 AM
  • did you ever try to manualy update your client using windows update ?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:33 AM
  • "did you ever try to manualy update your client using windows update ?"

Does simply running Windows Update count as manually updating my client?  I run the update periodically and the only update that always fails is the one for Windows Defender. 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:38 PM
  • Hi folks

As Craig mentioned earlier in the posting, this forum focuses on Forefront Client Security - for help on Windows Defender, I'd recommend posting in the forum Craig linked to

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:49 PM
  • great, thanks!  i'll try that.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:07 PM
  • To all of you that having the same error code 0x80240016 & running SKYPE.

All I had to do was uninstall the plug in or add on for skype on the IE7 then the update for windows defender was successfull.

hope that helps anyone.

Running WinXP & IE7

good luck

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Disabling PC Tools Spyware Doctor OnGuard solved my problem allowed me to install the update.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:36 AM
  • I was having the same problem, but mine was a simple solution, I had just done a windows update and it was blocking me. Once I rebooted my Windows Defender Updated just fine.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:29 PM
  •  

go to -> iniciar -> executar [msiexec /regserver] <enter>
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:41 AM
  • I came acrossed the same thing...Microsoft says to go here.  I have not tried it yet.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918355
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:08 PM
  • I had MySpaceIM installed which has Skype integrated. Once I uninstalled Defender started working fine.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:26 PM
  • i have been having problems with code 0x80240016 (exact code) when i try to download or scan my computer (windows Vista 32 bit). i try to scan it an it says it can not finish the scan, i try to download to upgrades it doesnt go through, i even tried it manually an it wont do it. Iv read all the comments on how to fix this code but none have worked, even the web site that says how to do it, i would greatly apreciate anyonw who has encountered this an knows anything on this. Windows Defender Error Code 0x80240016. Iv tried to reboot an nothing.
    Monday, June 02, 2008 10:59 PM
  •  hey,
    i had exactly the same problem.  I went to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx.  I downloaded the latest version of defender and it worked!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:22 AM
  • This is for those of you using Forefront Client Security: 

Make sure you have enabled Microsoft Update, not just Windows Update!!
    We have Forefront without MOM support installed on our client image. We had the yellow exclamation system tray icon on all our laptops. Its pretty disappointing, but apparently Forefront requires having Microsoft Update in order to get its definition updates!!!!
    After you get Microsoft Update, open Forefront and click 'Check for Updates' one more time.  It should work properly and give you a nice green check in the system tray ;)

To enable Microsoft Update:

For XP: On the client, go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US and accept whever agreements needed to get Microsoft Update.

For Vista: Open Windows Update. Notice in the middle of the window it says "You receive updates:" If this says "For Windows Only," click the yellow boxed link which says something like "get updates for more products." Accept the agreement and you'll apply Microsoft Update.

If it says "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update," you have already applied Microsoft Update.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:46 PM
  • try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307
    it works for me.. problem solved
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Please visit this page on microsoft website. It is realy helpful to fix this error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Boy oh boy, I gotta tell ya', the more I read on pretty much any site or forum about trying to resolve ANY problems with Forefront the more it is very apparent that Forefront is unnecessarily complicated and NOBODY involved with it has any idea how to run or troubleshoot it.

Very disappointing.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:56 AM
  • I had the same forefront error code 0x80240016 update issue. I realize I had Spybot search $ destroy running. Once I uninstall this I was able to update new definitions for Forefront. I believe you need to uninstall all other anti-spyware program to run Forefront fully. Hope this help someone else's problem
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:47 PM