none
Large number of .msp files in Windows\Installer folder

Question

• I have noticed the C: drive that holds our Exchange 2007 & ForeFront for Exchange executables free space is decreasing at a quite alarming rate.

I have looked at the folders and found that the Windows\Installer folder is getting files added once per day that in total over 13MB. The files have names such as 51a06d7e.msp and are listed as Windows Installer Patch.

I assume that these patch files are anti-virus pattern updates for ForeFront for Exchange. Would I be right? If so, how can I remove old ones as they have been getting added daily since early 2010!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, we should not delete any of the files in Windows folder or in Windows\install folder. Because this files will be shared with some application which is running in the system. If we try to delete those files it may affect those application. And MSP file is a Windows Installer patch file that includes updates to an application that was installed with Windows Installer. So it will also affect the Windows Installer, if we try to delete it. if Windows Installer is corrupted then we will not be able to install any application.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, we should not delete any of the files in Windows folder or in Windows\install folder. Because this files will be shared with some application which is running in the system. If we try to delete those files it may affect those application. And MSP file is a Windows Installer patch file that includes updates to an application that was installed with Windows Installer. So it will also affect the Windows Installer, if we try to delete it. if Windows Installer is corrupted then we will not be able to install any application.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I have found the same thing.  I have a 75G hard drive on my computer and have found that 64G of it is taken up by this windows\installer folder filled with the .msp files. 

Is it your advice that they beleft there?

Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:55 PM
  • i live in france and i have lots of english friends so i would call that "expert" a whanker. i have been in the computer business over 25 years and that answer seems to be only written to gain points. He himself proposed and marked it as an answer, which tells me he is , as they say in the UK a whanker, how he got to 20.000 points is beyond me. kudos for MS to give idiots like that a certificate, and let them accumulate points based on stupid answers, apparently he thinks we are idiots, and i have marked his post as abusive. if ever i would be close to his person, i would slap him and spit in his face.

sincerly, Bret

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:21 PM