none
"Parameter is incorrect" error in Remote Access Getting Started Wizard

Question

• Hi all

On a vanilla W2K12 server, I run the "Getting Started Wizard" after installing the Remote Access role. I select "Deploy DirectAccess only", and change the necessary configuration settings. When I want to apply the settings, the wizard aborts and rolls back, and shows the following error:

"The configuration was rolled back successfully"

(green/OK) Initiating operations before applying configuration

(red X/NOK) Configuring Remote Access Settings

- Retrieving server GPO details
    - Clearing existing stale configuration settings
    - Checking the specified adapters
    - Deploying the Remote Access server behind NAT
    - The parameter is incorrect

This error prevents me from configuring DirectAccess thru the wizard. (Configuration via PowerShell went thru but the DA-server did not work afterwards.)

Any ideas on how to start the "Getting Started Wizard" in "verbose/debug mode" so I can see what goes wrong?

Regards
    /Maurice

vendredi 19 avril 2013 09:52

Réponses

• There are two different versions of the GUI installer. There is the "Getting Started Wizard" which takes the most basic of settings and makes the assumption that you want to do things like enable DirectAccess for all Domain Computers (which you probably don't want to do) and doesn't let you choose much of anything when you are installing. And then there is the full "Remote Access Setup Wizard". This is the one that you want to run. After you install the role, from inside Server Manager click on the Tools button then click on Remote Access Management. Then on this screen you will see the two different options for either the Getting Started Wizard, or the full Remote Access Setup Wizard.
    lundi 6 mai 2013 18:21

Toutes les réponses

• hi,

You can find the solution on TechNet, unfortunately I can't insert links because my profile isn't verified :(

TechNet Article name: "Deploy Remote Access in a Cluster"

> Known issues

The following are known issues when configuring a cluster scenario:

• After configuring DirectAccess in an IPv4-only deployment with a single network adapter, and after the default DNS64 (the IPv6 address which contains ":3333::") is automatically configured on the network adapter, attempting to enable load-balancing via the Remote Access Management console causes a prompt for the user to supply an IPv6 DIP. If an IPv6 DIP is supplied, the configuration fails after clicking Commit with the error: The parameter is incorrect.

To resolve this issue:
      1. Download the backup and restore scripts from Back up and Restore Remote Access Configuration.
      2. Back up your Remote Access GPOs using the downloaded script Backup-RemoteAccess.ps1
      3. Attempt to enable load balancing until the step at which it fails. On the Enable Load Balancing dialog box, expand the details area, right-click in the details area, and then click Copy Script.
      4. Open Notepad, and paste the contents of the clipboard. For example:
        Set-RemoteAccessLoadBalancer -InternetDedicatedIPAddress @('10.244.4.19 /255.255.255.0','fdc4:29bd:abde:3333::2/128') -InternetVirtualIPAddress @('fdc4:29bd:abde:3333::1/128', '10.244.4.21 /255.255.255.0') -ComputerName 'DA1.domain1.corp.contoso.com' -Verbose
      5. Close any open Remote Access dialog boxes and close the Remote Access Management console.
      6. Edit the pasted text and remove the IPv6 addresses. For example:
        Set-RemoteAccessLoadBalancer -InternetDedicatedIPAddress @('10.244.4.19 /255.255.255.0') -InternetVirtualIPAddress @('10.244.4.21 /255.255.255.0') -ComputerName 'DA1.domain1.corp.contoso.com' -Verbose

7. In an elevated PowerShell window, run the command from the previous step.
      8. If the cmdlet fails while it is running (not due to incorrect input values), run the command Restore-RemoteAccess.ps1 and follow instructions to make sure that the integrity of your original configuration is maintained.
      9. You can now open the Remote Access Management console again.

-Alex

mercredi 24 avril 2013 04:12
  • I don't think he's trying to setup a cluster yet based on the description. If you are, please don't do it yet. Wait until you get DA working on a single node first before you try to enable any of the load balancing features.

I have not personally seen this one, but I also try to stay away from installing behind a NAT whenever possible. The best advice I can give you at this point - do NOT use the Getting Started Wizard. This wizard was created as a "shortcut" way of getting DirectAccess operational and does not follow best practice settings or give you options for really configuring what you want with your DA install. Always use the real wizards to configure DA. It means you have to know a little bit more about what is going on under the hood, but that is always a good thing right? And all of the wizards are pretty self-explanatory.

jeudi 25 avril 2013 12:18
  • Hello Alex and Jordan

Thanks for your input. I was indeed not setting up a cluster, it was just a simple DA installation on a server only having a private IPv4.

@Jordan: just wondering what you mean with "Always use the real wizards to configure DA". For W2K12 I only know the "Getting Started Wizard" or configuring DA via PowerShell. Did I miss anyting?

/Maurice

lundi 6 mai 2013 15:10
  • There are two different versions of the GUI installer. There is the "Getting Started Wizard" which takes the most basic of settings and makes the assumption that you want to do things like enable DirectAccess for all Domain Computers (which you probably don't want to do) and doesn't let you choose much of anything when you are installing. And then there is the full "Remote Access Setup Wizard". This is the one that you want to run. After you install the role, from inside Server Manager click on the Tools button then click on Remote Access Management. Then on this screen you will see the two different options for either the Getting Started Wizard, or the full Remote Access Setup Wizard.
    lundi 6 mai 2013 18:21