none
FCS Still running on client after 14 hours

Domanda

• My users have been complaining of terrible response time from their computers running applications.  When I looked into it further, I found FCS running a scan.  I assumed it was a catch up scan and didn't pay much attention.  However, now even on my own computer, the scan has been running for 14 hours.  It was ever so sloley scanning the cached profiles on the workstation.  I stopped the scan and did a disk check and found no problems.  I also checked fragmentation and it was zero.  This scan runs nightly and sometimes it just hangs up.  This issue has been on going for about a month.  Any ideas?

martedì 24 aprile 2012 12:18

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please verify FCS policy settings below to troubleshooting:
    1.Set file and folder scan exclusions following KB below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943556

2.Try to set quick scan daily and full scan at weekend
    3.Disable scan archive files option temporarily.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Contrassegnato come risposta Dot1 giovedì 26 aprile 2012 12:26
    mercoledì 25 aprile 2012 07:14
    Moderatore
  • Thank you for your reply.

I reviewed those links, but the first one we can't impliment because it isn't a best practice nor recommended by Microsoft.  We are prohibited by our own policy to impliment solution like that top link.  The bottom link did not apply to Windows 7 unless I missed something.  I am lucky enough to have 100% windows 7 computers. 

I changed the scan the other day to do a full scan on Fridays at 6pm and a quick scan at 24 hour intervals.  I am not sure how I can force the quick scan nightly while keeping a full scan on the weekend.  Maybe I need another policy.

If I am eliminating the nightly full scan, I am not sure how disabling the scan archive files option will help.  Perhpas this is a choice rather than changing the schedule.

mercoledì 25 aprile 2012 12:44
  • Hi,

The suggestions are based on Planning your policies article:
    Settings to improve performance of computers
    .A full scan is scheduled once a week, at an optimal time of day
    .Do not scan archive files
    .Exclude large data files from scans

I am not sure how I can force the quick scan nightly while keeping a full scan on the weekend.  Maybe I need another policy.
    FCS client could apply only one FCS policy at same time. It's okay to run scheduled quick scan by daylight. If you want to run quick scan at customized time like noon, you could use GPP scheduled task policy to implement it.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kfalde/archive/2008/10/23/how-to-add-extra-scheduled-scans-or-definition-updates-for-fcs.aspx

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Contrassegnato come risposta Dot1 giovedì 26 aprile 2012 12:26
    giovedì 26 aprile 2012 07:10
    Moderatore