none
BizTalk WCF-SAP adapter

Question

• Hi,

I'm new to BizTalk WCF-SAP adapter and novice in SAP.
    I have read some articles to connect with SAP Adapter. So, these questions maybe very basic.

I have noticed IDocs, BAPI and RFC generates Request and Response xsd's when consumed.
    1) So, which one to use when? What's the difference?
    2) It seems that BAPI's and RFC's just like the API exposed. Is it? What should should we use often?
    3) I suppose all the approaches also generates the config file. Does they also generate the Port?

Thanks.

Kunal G

lundi 18 juin 2012 07:15

Réponses

• Hope this will help you (extract from book).

RFC/BAPI vs IDOC :
    •Is your integration scenario synchronous or asynchronous?    ==> Synchronous for RFC/BAPI
    • Does an out-of-box interface exist? Using out-of-box interface reduce or prevent SAP customization
    •Are you trying to chain multiple events/processes together?   ==> RFC/BAPI provide commit/rollback functionalities
    •Does your process require SAP Workflow? ==> IDoc is a better choice

Christophe BRANDO...If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

lundi 18 juin 2012 12:10

Toutes les réponses

• I would do suggest you to read Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 Line of Business System Integration book. Detailed chapters fully dedicated to SAP communication are included in the book.

For the moment, I would write :

• IDOC (Intermediate Document) is used for exchanging data within SAP systems and with external systems.
    • RFC (Remote Function Call) is the standard SAP interface when exchanging data across SAP systems or between non-SAP systems.
    • BAPI (Business Application Programming Interfaces) is a RFC-enabled function module. A function module is a logical grouping of domain specific functions that belong together.

Christophe BRANDO...If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

lundi 18 juin 2012 10:00
  • ok. Thanks for the book. But, right now it's not possible to read it ;)

I have already read those definitions. I have posted the question as I have to prepare a short POC urgently. The POC can also be done using only IDocs but I wanted to know the differences in case to finalize a good approach and get some basic understanding.

Kunal G

lundi 18 juin 2012 10:41
  • Hope this will help you (extract from book).

RFC/BAPI vs IDOC :
    •Is your integration scenario synchronous or asynchronous?    ==> Synchronous for RFC/BAPI
    • Does an out-of-box interface exist? Using out-of-box interface reduce or prevent SAP customization
    •Are you trying to chain multiple events/processes together?   ==> RFC/BAPI provide commit/rollback functionalities
    •Does your process require SAP Workflow? ==> IDoc is a better choice

lundi 18 juin 2012 12:10