none
UAG - Issue Joining to an array

Question

• Hello,

I have a clean UAG 2010 SP1 Box running 2k8 R2 that I'm trying to join to an array.  The array manager is another box running UAG 2010 SP1 with 2k8 R2.

Every Time I attempt to join to the array, I get an error message, "The server is not operational."

I did tell the array manager that a member will be joining.

Could it be a rule in TMG that is blocking the process?  My UAG/TMG skills are pretty weak.

Thanks.

vendredi 12 juillet 2013 22:10

Réponses

• With the time you are taking on this, I think that I would just uninstall and reinstall UAG on your primary server. (when you uninstall, uninstall both UAG and TMG, then when you reinstall UAG, TMG will get put back into place automatically)
    • Marqué comme réponse A113 vendredi 9 août 2013 21:09
    mercredi 17 juillet 2013 15:19

Toutes les réponses

• Hey

Thanks for the post ,

Follow the article below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd857330.aspx

if not  - looking for syn between your 2 2k8 R2 servers.

Notice me asap .

I'd be glad to answer any question

samedi 13 juillet 2013 11:46
  • Do you have any firewall between the internal NICs of the appliances? You must allow everything, they like to communicate between each other quite a bit.

The "allow" rules in TMG get automatically created when you walk through the wizard inside UAG on the Manager where you tell it the name and IP address of the second member that you are going to be adding. So as long as you walked through that wizard successfully, TMG is already expecting that member to come in and join at some point.

Double check and make sure that UAG and TMG are running the exact same version numbers on both servers, if they are different at all that could also mess this up.

lundi 15 juillet 2013 15:27
  • So I have seen the TechNet article before, but I went back through it just to make sure.  The member server still would not connect to the manager. Same error message.

I ran Wireshark on the array manager to check for the SYN packets.  I see two SYN packets every time that I try to join the server to the array.  After that, I see a bunch of RST, ACK packets from the other server to the manager.

lundi 15 juillet 2013 21:16
  • I checked the version numbers of UAG and TMG.  They all match each other.

I have run the wizard on the UAG manager several times to tell it about the second member.  Removing and adding the second member each time. Still doesn't work.

Also, I've tried adding a rule in TMG to specifically allow traffic between each UAG box.  That didn't fix it either.

Thanks.

lundi 15 juillet 2013 21:21
  • On the second box, the one you are trying to make the second member, have you run through the initial UAG Network Interface wizards to define networks and the scope of the internal network? Have you also Activated UAG for the first time (as a "single server")? I usually take these steps first, make sure that UAG is responding and activating successfully, though without any configuration, as a single server, then run through the process of creating the array. That way you vet out any problems that UAG itself on the second member might be having.

I would also do a double check of all NIC settings and make sure they are set correctly. Default Gateway only on the external NIC? DNS servers defined only on the internal NIC? Binding order set to have Internal first and External second? Do you have the exact same routes configured for both servers?

mardi 16 juillet 2013 13:10
  • Good Morning Jordan.

I check the following items as you suggested.

UAG Network Interface wizard on second member: Check

Defined Networks: Check

Scope: Check

Activated UAG as single server: Check

Default Gateway: External NIC only

DNS Severs: Internal Only

Binding Order: Changed to Internal first, External second.  (Didn't resolve the issue)

Static Routes on each server are the same.

Also, I ran a log query from TMG (on both servers) and it shows the same signs of activity as the packet capture.  When attempting to join the arrary, both servers show attempts to open an connection and a corresponding closing of connection via a RST packet.

Interestingly, when trying to join an array using an IP address that belongs to a non UAG server, I also get that the same "The server is not operational" error message.  Could something on the array manager be blocking the member from connecting?  

Thanks.

Scott

mardi 16 juillet 2013 18:02
  • You could check inside TMG on the primary node and make sure that UAG is correctly injecting the information about the second box into it. In the Firewall Policy section, on the right side head over to Toolbox and then Network Objects. Drop down the Computers Sets folder and go into Properties of "Array Servers" - I believe that this is where the information gets populated for the second node. The inclusion here is what should be telling TMG to allow traffic to/from that guy. Hopefully that is the correct location, I don't have one in front of me at the moment and am going from memory.

You could also try opening UAG Management on the primary node and re-running the Network Interfaces wizard (launch from inside the Admin menu), to make sure that all network settings and scopes are correct on that one. If anything is wrong with network config on either node, it can cause strange behavior like this.

mardi 16 juillet 2013 18:43
  • I checked both of your ideas. The "Array Severs" computer sets on both servers have both addresses in them.

The scopes look good on the Array Manager as well.  I re-ran the Network Interface wizard and it still has the correct IP address ranges.  I also activated the configuration, just to cover all the bases. Still the same issue.

As an additional test, I did spin up a new VM running UAG.  The new VM I made the array manager and I was successfully able to join the member server to it.  It didn't have any problems joining. So the issue is somewhere on the current array "manager".

mardi 16 juillet 2013 22:46
  • With the time you are taking on this, I think that I would just uninstall and reinstall UAG on your primary server. (when you uninstall, uninstall both UAG and TMG, then when you reinstall UAG, TMG will get put back into place automatically)
    • Marqué comme réponse A113 vendredi 9 août 2013 21:09
    mercredi 17 juillet 2013 15:19
  • It's looking like that to me as well.  Thanks for all your help.

mercredi 17 juillet 2013 20:30