none
Order of Server Reboot in SharePoint Farm

Question

• Hi All,

We have a SharePoint Server 2010 farm with 2 WFE Servers and 2 APP Servers.

Can you please suggest the order of reboot of the servers, so that there won't be any issue?

Thanks & Regards, Irsath Mohideen

dimanche 25 mars 2012 09:42

Réponses

• If the WFEs are load balanced, it doesnt matter which one you reboot.

Again, for APP servers if all your SAs have redundancy then you dont need to worry and reboot any.

If not (i.e. above is not true), then you should be ready for some downtime. For e.g if your WFEs are not load balanced then shutting one down will result in downtime.

The order doesnt matter here. You need to know what exactly you are trying to achieve and what are your SLAs.

Sid Kothari | MCITP, SharePoint 2010
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

dimanche 25 mars 2012 22:57

Toutes les réponses

• If the WFEs are load balanced, it doesnt matter which one you reboot.

Again, for APP servers if all your SAs have redundancy then you dont need to worry and reboot any.

If not (i.e. above is not true), then you should be ready for some downtime. For e.g if your WFEs are not load balanced then shutting one down will result in downtime.

The order doesnt matter here. You need to know what exactly you are trying to achieve and what are your SLAs.

Sid Kothari | MCITP, SharePoint 2010
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

dimanche 25 mars 2012 22:57
  • Hi IFI,

Firstly, you should document all farm configurations, as well as do entire backup in SharePoint farm. Then inform business user about how SharePoint farm should be restarted if your SharePoint farm is being run as a production served for core business process. The communication can be referred at this article: Create a communication plan

In my opinion, the order of restarting those servers is as follow:

1. Load Balanced server: if you have any LB server, it would be good to start restarting them because this doesn't impact on your environment, supposing your network and your farm is stable at this time.
    2. Critical service application: if you have an application server running business service application (e.g. PerformancePoint, Excel..), you should restarted it prior to restarting WFE servers.
    3. Basic service application: some service applications doesn't impact on your front-end side.
    4. WFE servers.

Make sure you have a full backup of entirely SharePoint environment before restarting.

My 2 cents...

Regards,

- T.s -

SharePoint in Vietnam Blog: The SharePoint diary

lundi 26 mars 2012 04:28
  • Hi,

Thank you for the information...

In our case both the WFE Servers are load balanced.

Thanks & Regards, Irsath Mohideen

lundi 26 mars 2012 09:42