none
Filter multiple webparts using a dropdown list

Question

• Hi,

Using SPD, I would like to create a dropdown list.  When an item is selected from the dropdown list, the contents on all the wepbparts on that page will be filted based on the selection.  I know this question may have been asked and possibly aswnered already... but I can't seem to find info on it. 

Thanks in advance.

dimanche 18 mars 2012 06:15

Réponses

• Well, you can acheive this by creating an Infopath form:

• Create an Infopath form with a drop down bound to your list with filter values
    • Upload form to form library in sharepoint site
    • Use Infopath Form Web Part on your page (where you need to filter values)
    • Connect the infopath form to your list view web part and filter.

So, that is a solution (no-code) using infopath but not SPD 2010 as you had asked

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCTS

• Marqué comme réponse Ultragc88 mercredi 21 mars 2012 16:00
    mardi 20 mars 2012 10:09
  • Have you set the "Send datat to connected web part" option on submit of the form

i.e. In Infopath Designer --> Submit Options --> Custom rules on submit --> Send data to connected web part.

mercredi 21 mars 2012 05:17

Toutes les réponses

• You can use a Choice Filter web part. It would give a slightly different experience than a drop down. But it is a no-code solution.

Choice filter web part is under the Filters section of web parts.

Add the web part to the page with all your list views --> Configure the choices from the web part tool pane (Edit Web Part) --> In the web part menu select connections --> Send To --> (You need to select one web part at a time) --> A popup with configuration will appear --> Select "Get Filter values from" --> click configure --> select the column of the list which should be filtered.

Do this for all your list views.

dimanche 18 mars 2012 08:38
  • Thanks Huzefa.  The Choice Filter webpart use static choice.  Is there a way to pull the choice dynamically from a list?
    dimanche 18 mars 2012 18:41
  • No. That would require you to customize the web part through code and leverage the existing functionality to include the dynamic choices

lundi 19 mars 2012 04:50
  • That is what I am trying to avoie.
    lundi 19 mars 2012 14:50
  • Then I think the best is using the Choice filter web part. Because using SPD just creating the drop down with values from a list would be a major task (I think you would be able to acheive it with XSLT, but not sure about that).

Then you would have to connect the web part to other list view web parts on your page. (I don't think that is possible through SPD).

Even while using the Choice Filter Web part you will be able to dynamically update values.

lundi 19 mars 2012 15:03
  • I would think this is a common request... to use a dropdown list.  I just can't seem to find a solution.
    mardi 20 mars 2012 03:24
  • Well, you can acheive this by creating an Infopath form:

• Create an Infopath form with a drop down bound to your list with filter values
    • Upload form to form library in sharepoint site
    • Use Infopath Form Web Part on your page (where you need to filter values)
    • Connect the infopath form to your list view web part and filter.

So, that is a solution (no-code) using infopath but not SPD 2010 as you had asked

mardi 20 mars 2012 10:09
  • Okay.  When I use the Infopath approach, when I click the filter value (dropdown selection), it is not posting back.  Meaning, the page does not get refresh and the connecting webpart does not get filtered.  I have setup the webpart connection correctly.
    mercredi 21 mars 2012 04:04
  • Have you set the "Send datat to connected web part" option on submit of the form

i.e. In Infopath Designer --> Submit Options --> Custom rules on submit --> Send data to connected web part.

mercredi 21 mars 2012 05:17
  • Bingo!  That did it.

Thanks Huzefa

mercredi 21 mars 2012 16:00