none
Using External column type in InfoPath 2010

Question

• I have a custom list that has one column with type of 'External Data'.  I'm using the BCS to connect to LOB system to look up names of subcontractors.  In my custom list, I'm also pulling in additional external column data.  So, my custom list has the subcontractor name, address, phone (all from the BCS connection) as well as a column for status (choice column type) and region (text field).  I want my users to be able to open an item in the list and see the additional external columns - OOB they can only see this data in the view and not on the form - so I've tried customizing the list form using InfoPath 2010.  But, when I click on Customize Form from the list ribbon, I get a pop up message from InfoPath saying one of the fields is not supported because of the data type - Name (BusinessData).  'Name' is the external column in my custom list which is looking up subcontractors using the BCS.

I've read some blogs that this type of column is not supported.  Can anyone confirm this?  And, if it is not supported, does anyone have any suggestions for achieving what I want? 

I was hoping to customize the Display and Edit forms using InfoPath but leave the New Item form as the standard aspx page.  But, it seems that once you customize with InfoPath, it affects all three forms and you can't pick and choose.  Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated.

Milissa Hartwell

mardi 22 mai 2012 21:38

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

vendredi 25 mai 2012 12:38
  • Just wondering if anyone has ideas.  I have not been able to resolve this yet.  Any help is appreciated.

Milissa Hartwell

mercredi 13 juin 2012 16:49
  • Hi Milissa,

External Data columns are not supported when it comes to InfoPath and customizing SharePoint list templates.  Since we don't support the External Data column we can't pull in the data and thus can't run any rules to set other values based on the one chosen.  When it comes to customizing a SharePoint list with InfoPath you will notice a new section under the Form Web Parts titled Content Type Forms - these are the New, Display and Edit forms now used.  If you don't want to use those you can go into the list settings and choose Form Settings and disassociate the template with the SharePoint list.

If there is a way to modify the default Form Web Parts not using InfoPath in order to display those extra external columns I would have to defer to someone who is more familiar with customizing SharePoint than I am.

Regards, Aaron Suoja - Microsoft Online Community Support

lundi 18 juin 2012 18:26
  • I was hoping to customize the Display and Edit forms using InfoPath but leave the New Item form as the standard aspx page.  But, it seems that once you customize with InfoPath, it affects all three forms and you can't pick and choose.  Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated.

Milissa Hartwell

vendredi 13 juillet 2012 15:03