none
Sharepoint 2010 Adobe Reader error opening .pdf files

    Question

  • When external to the system, .pdf files in library won't open in client application. Adobe Reader error: There was an error opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    Internally, .pdf files open without issue.

    This problem just started within the last 2 days.

    Yes, Browser File Handling has been set to 'permissive'.

    vendredi 22 juin 2012 13:53

Toutes les réponses

  • Hi,

    Thank you for your post.

    I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.


    Xue-mei Chang

    TechNet Community Support

    mardi 26 juin 2012 09:00
  • Thank you Xue-Mei Chang

    FYI: I installed an earlier version of Adobe Reader on a test machine and it did not help.

    A fix was added to the server in the <system.web.extensions> of the config file a few weeks back. The line <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="false" enableCaching="true" /> was added which fixed a problem with redirection on external machines. This issue seems to be a similiar in the external way.

    One may right-click on the .pdf link and choose 'open', then the .pdf opens just fine in the client application. The 'open in new tab' or 'Open in new window' options will also work.

    I just need the link to work!

    mardi 26 juin 2012 11:18
  • I turned 'Client Integration' off and everything works.


    mardi 3 juillet 2012 17:26
  • This problem has been driving me crackers. The information that we can right click and open in a new tab is making life so much easier. Thanks
    vendredi 21 septembre 2012 08:55
  • Hello JohnnySurfs,

    Could you explain what you mean with Client Integration to off ?

    I've been struggling with this for days now !

    Thanks in advance !

    Lucien

    jeudi 13 juin 2013 14:30
  • go to Cental Administration > Manage Web Applications > Highlight your web application and click Authentication Providers > scroll down to where you see Client Integration and disable it.

    Solution worked for me, no more adobe errors, but I'm using an FBA site and there is no need to have client integration turned on. 

    mardi 9 juillet 2013 15:08
  • We had a similar issue where external users got the error.   Turning client integration off worked, but then that posed other issues with Office documents.  You can view that thread here.

    To get both Office and PDF documents to work for external users (with client integration enabled), we modified the DOCICON.XML file located location below.  Change the mapping key that controls how PDFs are opened.    Hope this helps others.

    <SharePoint WFE>\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML

    <Mapping Key="pdf" Value="icpdf.png" OpenControl="PdfFile.OpenDocuments"/>

    To:

    <Mapping Key="pdf" Value="icpdf.png" EditText="Adobe Acrobat" OpenControl="SharePoint.OpenDocuments"/>

    mercredi 13 novembre 2013 13:07