none
Users can edit READ ONLY sharepoint word documents in secure libraries

Question

• I have a sharepoint group called ALL Staff

I have added a testuser user to this group and given this group READ ONLY access to a document library called TEST LIB

Using an admin account I have added a content type template to this library and then created a new document using this template

When the READ ONLY testuser opens this document, they get an option near the top menu to CHECK OUT the document.

They can CHECK OUT, edit the document and save and then check the document back in.

THis should not be the case for READ ONLY permissions. What can be the issue?

Thx, Joe

vendredi 15 juin 2012 18:16

Réponses

• I was able to solve this using information from an article (sorry lost the link)

The issue is that I was logged into windows 7 using USER1 profile which has contribute rights on the sharepoint library in question.

When I switch to another user (which does NOT have contribute rights but READ ONLY rights instead), I am able to edit the document in WORD because the LOGGED IN user profile OVERRIDES the Sharepoint logged in user permissions. When I logged in using the READ ONLY user, I was NOT able to EDIT without providing appropriate credentials.

Thx, Joe

• Marqué comme réponse Joe Fenn___ mardi 19 juin 2012 22:22
    mardi 19 juin 2012 22:22

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Please check teh user permission through site admin tool for 2007 version and in SharePoint 2010 we can check teh user permission in it. Might be NT\Authority permission had been given as full permission at site collection level.Many Thanks,

Santosh Sethi

vendredi 15 juin 2012 21:36
  • I was able to solve this using information from an article (sorry lost the link)

The issue is that I was logged into windows 7 using USER1 profile which has contribute rights on the sharepoint library in question.

When I switch to another user (which does NOT have contribute rights but READ ONLY rights instead), I am able to edit the document in WORD because the LOGGED IN user profile OVERRIDES the Sharepoint logged in user permissions. When I logged in using the READ ONLY user, I was NOT able to EDIT without providing appropriate credentials.

Thx, Joe

• Marqué comme réponse Joe Fenn___ mardi 19 juin 2012 22:22
    mardi 19 juin 2012 22:22