none
User Profile Manage Properties Page - Extremely Slow

Question

• Environment:

SharePoint 2010 SP1 + Feb 2012 CUs

Problem:

After setting up User Profile Synchronization (i.e., creating a connection to AD and performing a sync) the user profile manage properties pages have become extremely slow.  This initial page load when viewing/edit ing a managed property can take up to 2 minutes. In addtion, re-ordering a single property takes minutes to complete.   Same is true for managing a user profile from within CA.

Has anyone else seen this issue and what were the steps for resolution ?

Thank you.

Tom

mercredi 30 mai 2012 12:52

Réponses

• Wanted to provide an update.   We opened a support case with Microsoft.  The case went through multiple layers of support ending with Microsoft Escalation Engineers.  The consensus was that this behavior is as designed.  

Microsoft's Assessment:

"Based on a review of the configuration of the connection between SharePoint and AD , the data analysis completed to date and a separate review of the case by Microsoft Escalation engineers everything from a SharePoint to FIM to AD connection look to be in order and functioning as designed .  Furthermore when an internal repro of a similar operation (Single SharePoint server and Single domain) was conducted at Microsoft a similar delay was experienced for rendering user profile pages.

Also in discussing this issue and looking at the various APIs and code involved in user profile web pages the consensus is that the particular APIs and code path being taken during the rendering of these pages is that of an administrative function to modify \ add \ Etc. specific for the connections themselves .  These APIs and code paths are not the same used by end users when interacting with things like My sites as they will leverage the content databases within SQL and not making connections directly back to AD . Thus this issue will not impact End user interactions with My sites. "  

From Microsoft's assessment,  it looks like it is behaving as designed with impact limited to administrative functions.  

Tom H.

vendredi 15 juin 2012 20:22

Toutes les réponses

• This has been a constant in all of my environments aswell, I've gotten used to it by now but if someone has an idea how to get rid if it I'd appreciate it aswell.
    mercredi 30 mai 2012 13:54
  • Wanted to provide an update.   We opened a support case with Microsoft.  The case went through multiple layers of support ending with Microsoft Escalation Engineers.  The consensus was that this behavior is as designed.  

Microsoft's Assessment:

"Based on a review of the configuration of the connection between SharePoint and AD , the data analysis completed to date and a separate review of the case by Microsoft Escalation engineers everything from a SharePoint to FIM to AD connection look to be in order and functioning as designed .  Furthermore when an internal repro of a similar operation (Single SharePoint server and Single domain) was conducted at Microsoft a similar delay was experienced for rendering user profile pages.

Also in discussing this issue and looking at the various APIs and code involved in user profile web pages the consensus is that the particular APIs and code path being taken during the rendering of these pages is that of an administrative function to modify \ add \ Etc. specific for the connections themselves .  These APIs and code paths are not the same used by end users when interacting with things like My sites as they will leverage the content databases within SQL and not making connections directly back to AD . Thus this issue will not impact End user interactions with My sites. "  

From Microsoft's assessment,  it looks like it is behaving as designed with impact limited to administrative functions.  

Tom H.

vendredi 15 juin 2012 20:22
  • Did you checked the server performance at that time. take the perfmon and see if there is any high CPU utilization.

Check the profile connection settings as well.

Please let me know if you have any event IDs or coorelation ID

Many Thanks,

Santosh Sethi

vendredi 15 juin 2012 21:39
  • Santosh,

In depth analysis has been done with the help of Microsoft Premier Support resources including 3rd level engineers.   The behavior is expected based on the API's in use for the administrative functions of the User Profile Service.    Microsoft collected a large amount of data including, network traces, perfmon output, ULS logs and Event Logs.  The conclusion was that the behavior is as designed.

Tom H.

lundi 18 juin 2012 00:23
  • This design doesn't consider of performance issue, and it's quite disappointing.  Microsoft should cache more data to make it 100 times faster.

Eric Fang

lundi 15 juillet 2013 01:02
  • Thanks for opening the ticket with Microsoft and sharing the info with us, it is appreciated!  I've been working with multiple SharePoint 2010 environments for a couple of years now, and have gotten to the point that I would MUCH rather endure a root canal than have to deal with that stupid Manage User Profile Properties page.  It's bad enough on our production servers with screaming fast hardware, but needing to do anything with it on the development boxes is beyond excruciating. 

It's unbelievable to me how Microsoft expects us to want to use their product when they make it so difficult for admins to use. 

Lady_M MCITP SharePoint 2010 MOCS SharePOint 2010

vendredi 1 novembre 2013 12:35