none
File server restore and permissions/ownership

שאלה

• Hi,

I was testing a desaster recovery for a file server. Which means that all the data on the file server is gone and as well as the permissions and security settings.

When i started to restore the user profiles and homeshares then the permissions, sharing and ownership is not restored.

I tried both restore security option, recovery point security and original but both of them didnt work.

Since share permission exist on the File server itself and the security settings exist on the files.

Now i will re-configure the sharing and permission manuelly but does the DPM backup the seceurity settings for the files when it takes backup? And what to do in case only the data were gone from a file server?

Thanks in advance.

יום שישי 16 מרץ 2012 07:28

תשובות

• HI,

Yes, the NTFS security permissions and file ownership should be applied during a recovery if you chose the option to use recovery point permissions.  If the file permissions were local permissions and not domain permissions, and you rebuild the server and didn't recover systemstate, then the restored permissions will not be valid and you should see GUIDS in place of usernames that were from local users who are no longer valid.  If the NTFS permissions were domain level, and the rebuilt machine is joined to the domain, then the correct user permissions and ownership should be there after a restore.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

יום שישי 16 מרץ 2012 23:48