none
Error backing up SQL server 2008 with filestream enabled

שאלה

• Hello,

I'm having issues with setting up protection group with SQL server database that has filestream enabled. On the DPM server side I'm getting replica inconsistent status... continuously. Looking at the Job in progress it doesn't show any data transferred. On the protected server I see following in the DPMRAcurr.errorlog:

15F8.12D8::06/20-20:35:05.918#37:mtamethrottlehelper.cpp(242)[0000000000C1FA: Failed: F: lVal : m_pMEBufferQueue->GetElement(&pMTAEncThrottle): 0x80004004

15F8.093C::06/20-20:35:05.918#37:mtamethrottlehelper.cpp(242)[0000000000C1FA: Failed: F: lVal : m_pMEBufferQueue->GetElement(&pMTAEncThrottle): 0x80004004

The same protected server is ok with backing up other databases on this SQL instance and no issues with other instances whatsoever. 

DPM version 2.0.8107.0

Any suggestions are welcome (or I will be upgrading DPM to 2010 to check if the issue resolves) :)

EDIT: Upgraded to DPM2010 - issue still persists :( Backup takes 25 minutes, does not transfer any bytes and still shows replica inconsistent. Shall I backup manually filestream folder, cause it is not being backed up now?

Thanks, Marcin

Marcin Dobija | MCSE:Security | MCITP:DBA,EA,EMA,SA | MCDBA | MCTS:W2k8,E2k7,SQL2005,OCS,ISA,Vista | MCBMSP:CRM4 | MS ITAC Member
    • נערך על-ידי Marcin Dobija יום שני 21 יוני 2010 11:11 problem update
    יום ראשון 20 יוני 2010 20:58

תשובות

• Hi Marcin,

A SQL Database having filestream itself is not an issue but if the number of file streams for the database are very high DPM has an internal 10 MB DCOM limit for agent communications and if exceeded will cause problems.  It's not the size of the files in the data stream it’s the number of file streams that cause us to exceed the 10MB dcom limit.

Before backing up a database, we pass the backup metadata from the protected server (SQL) to the DPM server and we are passing each file name in the FILESTREAM folder as a node in the metadata Xml file. If the .xml file exceeds 10MB, we will fail. This is planned to be fixed in the next release of DPM.

Just for my own information, how many files are we talking about in your filestream for that database ?

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    יום ראשון 27 יוני 2010 22:01
    מנחה דיון

כל התגובות

• Hi Marcin,

A SQL Database having filestream itself is not an issue but if the number of file streams for the database are very high DPM has an internal 10 MB DCOM limit for agent communications and if exceeded will cause problems.  It's not the size of the files in the data stream it’s the number of file streams that cause us to exceed the 10MB dcom limit.

Before backing up a database, we pass the backup metadata from the protected server (SQL) to the DPM server and we are passing each file name in the FILESTREAM folder as a node in the metadata Xml file. If the .xml file exceeds 10MB, we will fail. This is planned to be fixed in the next release of DPM.

Just for my own information, how many files are we talking about in your filestream for that database ?

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    יום ראשון 27 יוני 2010 22:01
    מנחה דיון
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for responding. That makes sense - from the technological point of view, not from the real-world perspective ;-)

My FILESTREAM folder is about 27'000 files for a total of about 60MB.

Thanks, Marcin

Marcin Dobija | MCSE:Security | MCITP:DBA,EA,EMA,SA | MCDBA | MCTS:W2k8,E2k7,SQL2005,OCS,ISA,Vista | MCBMSP:CRM4 | MS ITAC Member
    יום ראשון 27 יוני 2010 22:56
  • Did you ever resolve this as i have the same problem
    יום שישי 13 מאי 2011 13:03
  • Hello seniordb,

I have a workaround in place that agent job performs a backup to flatfile which then is picked up by file level backup by DPM.

Wish I knew filestream causes so many issues. The next undocumented and disappointing issue was with SP2 installation. It turns out SP2 fails when any of the databases has filestream enabled :( Then even uninstalling SP2 results in a DB failing to start. Two thumbs down for Microsoft for that :(

Marcin Dobija | MCSE:Security | MCITP:DBA,EA,EMA,SA | MCDBA | MCTS:W2k8,E2k7,SQL2005,OCS,ISA,Vista | MCITP Dynamics:CRM4 | MS ITAC Member | VCP4
    יום שני 10 אוקטובר 2011 21:13
  • We just upgraded one of our GIS applications and might be running into this as a DB that used to have extensive number of BLOB is now using filestream (20,000+ files).

In DPM we are seeing the DB with "Replica is inconsistent" status due to "The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on <servername>. (ID 52) </servername>

How can we check for the XML file being >10MB (arbitrarily small considering typically verbose xml formatting?)

Is there a hotfix? reghack? hexedit hack? DPM2012rc supported in production?

On one hand it is great for the less technical members of our team to do restores. OTOH, it is very sad that we keep getting hosed by DPM; there have been so many small issues and forced babysitting of it over the years. It's like dealing with Win95 back in the day. Continual random exception 0x0E with no perm resolution. :-S

יום שני 12 מרץ 2012 19:45
  • If the DPM 2010 alert has the error code 0x800706f7 - then that is the issue.  There is no fix for DPM 2010.

DPM 2012 has filestream support and should not get this error.  The only support for DPM 2012 RC is forum support, and as per the license agreement, RC should not be used in a production environment. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

יום שני 12 מרץ 2012 20:15
    מנחה דיון
  • Thanks Mike, Will DPM 2007 SP1 show that same error for this problem?
    יום שני 12 מרץ 2012 20:17
  • I'm thinking the best way to tell on DPM 2007 it to check the dpmra.errlog for the error as originally posted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

יום שני 12 מרץ 2012 20:30
    מנחה דיון
  • Oke Doke thanks again
    יום שני 12 מרץ 2012 20:32