none
Duplicate computer names

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

We use MDT and master images to deploy windows 7 computers. In the setup pahse we use the "/prepareenroll" switch to get the clients to enroll to Intune. In the task sequence we set the computer name to the serial number (%serialnumber%).This works great. The computers enrolls to intune fine.

However, when we reinstall a computer it will enroll once again with the same computer name (new windows installation, new enroll to intune, same computer name) This will create a new computer record in intune administrator console with the same name as the erlier computer.

Will this cause any problems or can i just retire the previous record?

Is there a way to determine which record is the oldest, beside last report date?

ATB

Mike

10 Maret 2012 17:10

Jawaban

• Hi Mike,

No, there is no harm in having duplicate machine names.  Best practice is the retire the machine prior to wipe/reload of the Operating System, but it's OK to retire the previous computer account after as well.

Currently the only way to determine which machine is valid is last report date.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

11 Maret 2012 7:10

Semua Balasan

• Hi Mike,

No, there is no harm in having duplicate machine names.  Best practice is the retire the machine prior to wipe/reload of the Operating System, but it's OK to retire the previous computer account after as well.

Currently the only way to determine which machine is valid is last report date.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

11 Maret 2012 7:10
  • Thanks, for yor reply

The users can wipe/reload the computers from a hidden partition, so we don't always get the "heads up" before they do it.

ATB

Mike

11 Maret 2012 14:40
  • Mike,

Can I ask how you create the hidden recovery partition?  Do you do that with MDT?

Björn Axell MVP http://blog.advisec.com

22 Maret 2012 20:00
  • It not really hidden. I just remove the drive letter. :)

I do it in MDT, and it is an plain primary partition. The reson for this is that i use Intune to update the image and i want it to be easy to access, but a little bit harder for the user.

Not fancy stuff really

ATB

Mike 

26 Maret 2012 21:50
  • Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure if I understand how you get this to work:-) How does the user recover from the hidden partition? Can you share what extra parts you have added to your TS to get an "extra" image onto the disk so a user can reinstall.

Thanks

Björn Axell MVP http://blog.advisec.com

29 Maret 2012 18:53