none
BizManager migration to BizTalk

Pertanyaan

•  We have BizManager and we use iSeries TrustedLink from Innovis to perform EDI transactions on AS2. At present all our systems are on the AS400 / Db2 environment. We want to leverage the BizTalk server we use in other projects to perform these EDI/AS2 transactions. Has anybody performed this migration? 

Based on what we have read, AS2 support is built right into BizTalk and we donot need any additional accelerators. BizManager and TrustedLink can be replaced by using BizTalk in 32 bit mode since AS2 support is not available in 64 bit mode. is this correct?

What other challenges / design considerations should we keep in mind?

17 Februari 2012 20:03

Jawaban

• Hi,

AS2, per se, is supported in 64 bit mode. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560166.aspx - BizTalk Server 64-Bit Support. The MIME Decoder is only supported in 32 bit mode, but for AS2 purposes, that should be transparent (if even applicable) to you.

I personally haven't made the migration, so I'm hoping some of our other forum gurus will chime in with more "real world" experiences.

As a support engineer, I think you'll have two challenges. The first is that BizTalk is a very different environment from the AS/400-iSeries-DB2 world. I agree with Biztalk-learner: get the evaluation version, set up a couple of virtual machines, go through the tutorial. If that takes your team more than the 120 day evaluation period, plan accordingly for your live migration.

Your second challenge is likely to be getting data into the AS/400. You say that "all" your present systems are there, so I assume this will be necessary. There are several ways to do this: DB2 adapter, web services, shared folders with import jobs on the AS/400, MQSeries, etc. Test this! And make plans for when something goes wrong. Murphy's Law.

If this is your first BizTalk deployment, you will need to plan this well in advance and coordinate with your infrastructure team, SQL admins, web admins, etc. Extremely important is implementing the BizTalk backup plan. I strongly encourage you to use the MsgBox Viewer tool. Address the critical warnings section. But don't stop there. Check out the non-critical warnings. They're not always disasters waiting to happen, but they ARE good advice. Use the BizTalk Documentor tool. Keep more than one copy.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Randy S. Ridgely [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

20 Februari 2012 14:48

Semua Balasan

• A detail tutorial is available at below link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/bb245935.aspx

How the Tutorial Solution Works

The solution will do the following:

• Receive an AS2 message from a partner (Fabrikam)

• Return an MDN response asynchronously to the partner

• Process the EDI payload of the AS2 message

• Return a 997 acknowledgment to the partner (Fabrikam) over AS2

• Route an XML file containing the payload of the EDI message to a backend application of the home organization (Contoso).

20 Februari 2012 10:01
  • Hi,

AS2, per se, is supported in 64 bit mode. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560166.aspx - BizTalk Server 64-Bit Support. The MIME Decoder is only supported in 32 bit mode, but for AS2 purposes, that should be transparent (if even applicable) to you.

I personally haven't made the migration, so I'm hoping some of our other forum gurus will chime in with more "real world" experiences.

As a support engineer, I think you'll have two challenges. The first is that BizTalk is a very different environment from the AS/400-iSeries-DB2 world. I agree with Biztalk-learner: get the evaluation version, set up a couple of virtual machines, go through the tutorial. If that takes your team more than the 120 day evaluation period, plan accordingly for your live migration.

Your second challenge is likely to be getting data into the AS/400. You say that "all" your present systems are there, so I assume this will be necessary. There are several ways to do this: DB2 adapter, web services, shared folders with import jobs on the AS/400, MQSeries, etc. Test this! And make plans for when something goes wrong. Murphy's Law.

If this is your first BizTalk deployment, you will need to plan this well in advance and coordinate with your infrastructure team, SQL admins, web admins, etc. Extremely important is implementing the BizTalk backup plan. I strongly encourage you to use the MsgBox Viewer tool. Address the critical warnings section. But don't stop there. Check out the non-critical warnings. They're not always disasters waiting to happen, but they ARE good advice. Use the BizTalk Documentor tool. Keep more than one copy.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Randy S. Ridgely [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

20 Februari 2012 14:48