07 Juni 2011 17:58
We have come accross a problem with OWA in 2010 SP1 roll up 3. Our OWA search function does not work. when we search via OWA, it just says that there are no matches, although I know I am searching for terms that exist in several email items.
MS said that they are aware of the problem. The only workaround they offered is for us to have all Exchange roles in one box. But that defeats the purpose of the HA features in exchange 2010.
I am wondering if anybody has come accross this problem.
09 Juni 2011 1:33Moderator
As we know, OWA and Outlook online mode use Exchange search feature.
Could you please try to rebuild the Full-Text index catalog?
The below article refers to Exchange 2007, It is same as Exchange 2010.
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
29 Juni 2011 17:49
Jerome: I have rebuilt the index several times.
Ms Workaround was to add all roles to the exchange 2010 environment. Which defeated the purpose of our HA environment.
So the workaround I fould was to have the HUBCAS servers with Exchange 2010 and keep the Mailbox servers as Exchange 2010 SP1.
Hope that helps other Exchange users out there and thank you MS for your useless help.
22 Juni 2012 16:43
I'm the administrator for a SBS 2011 server that is still having this issue. I have rebuilt the Index file several times without much luck. Randomly the search will work, but more often not. I’m at my wits end and any suggestion on how to fix this issue would be great.