none
IE9 fails to run Java & crashes with custom Java security settings

Dotaz

• Hi,

Two problems, first I cannot get IE9 to run any java applets other than the one on the java.com website that says it is installed.

All other websites simply complain that java is either not installed or enabled.  However, looking in the options, Java is (or so far as I can tell) enabled.

Java is installed correctly on the pc as I can run it from the command line/run java apps/use any other browser you care to mention and they work.

Any ideas?  I was checking with http://www.javatester.org to verify setting - I know it hasnot been updated for a while but it works and gives reliable results, especially when checking different browsers.

Second problem is that when I select Custom Java Security settings, (Options, Security, Internet Zone, Custom - Java VM entry),  a  button becomes enabled called "Java Custom Settings..".  Clicking on this crashes IE9.

Thoughts/advice welcome.

PC is Vista ultimate 32bit.  IE9  and fully patched with all latest patch updates.

JAVA is 1.6.0._24

Thanks

Ciaran

22. dubna 2011 13:09

Odpovědi

• Hi,

Regarding tools, I suggest you use process monitor to troubleshoot this issue:

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    28. dubna 2011 1:24
    Moderátor
  •  

Hi,

Have you tried the compatibility mode in Internet Explorer 9? Or does this issue occur to previous Internet Explorer versions?

You could try to deselect the “Automatically Detect Settings” to check how it works.

And enable the scripting of Java applets settings:

1.    Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options"  

2.    Next, select the Security Tab, and select the "Custom Level" button

3.    Scroll down to "Scripting of Java applets"

4.    Make sure the "Enable" radio button is checked.

5.    Click OK to save your preference.

Or you could try to change the settings in group editor:

·        Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\Internet Zone\Java Permissions

Meanwhile, I suggest you could reset the Internet Explorer to see if the crash issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    25. dubna 2011 10:09
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

•  

Hi,

Have you tried the compatibility mode in Internet Explorer 9? Or does this issue occur to previous Internet Explorer versions?

You could try to deselect the “Automatically Detect Settings” to check how it works.

And enable the scripting of Java applets settings:

1.    Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options"  

2.    Next, select the Security Tab, and select the "Custom Level" button

3.    Scroll down to "Scripting of Java applets"

4.    Make sure the "Enable" radio button is checked.

5.    Click OK to save your preference.

Or you could try to change the settings in group editor:

·        Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\Internet Zone\Java Permissions

Meanwhile, I suggest you could reset the Internet Explorer to see if the crash issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

25. dubna 2011 10:09
    Moderátor
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the suggestions.

IE8 worked ok especially on my Vista pc prior to the upgrade to IE9.  All your suggestions were tried, including the reset, but the same result occured - java/java applets simply will not run.

The test at java.com worked when all ActiveX filtering was turned off and repeating the same actions on other websites still reported that java was either not installed or enabled.

I am at a loss on this one as every site appart from java.com reports that java is not enabled. Java is properly installed (other browsers on my PC work OK).

Are there any IE logs/diagnostics that might help identify what is working/not working/identify what is blocking the use of Java/Java applets?

Cheers

Ciaran

26. dubna 2011 14:19
  • Hi,

Regarding tools, I suggest you use process monitor to troubleshoot this issue:

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

Alex

28. dubna 2011 1:24
    Moderátor
  • Hmmm...

Java has been updated from update 24 to update 25.  I have made no changes to IE and Java is suddenly working again in IE9.

I still get the crash on the custom setting but at least it is not telling me that rundll32.dll stopped working.  Checking with procmon now....

Ciaran

29. dubna 2011 13:53
  • Why do you suggest that end users de-bug your sorry software?  has Microsoft ever produced consumer ready software?

Pathetic

4. května 2012 19:08
  • @Hoop

this forum is for Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 (and 10 Consumer Preview) for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Technet is targeted to the IT Pro Audience, not conumers.

Rob^_^

5. května 2012 21:20
  • Hi,

Please try:

1. Open the java Control Panel, select Advanced.
    2. Navigate to Setting—Java Plug-in.
    3. Check the option "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in (requires browser restart)".

Best regards,

Carol

12. července 2012 13:08