none
How can I change IE10's default browser mode to IE8?

Frage

• My company is a little outdated and IE8 is the only compatible browser that I can use for my job.  I just had to get a new computer and it has windows 8.  I know if I open up IE10 and press F12 I can then change the browser mode from IE10 to IE8, but I have to do that for every window.  Is there a way to change it to where it defaults to IE8 mode?  

Just to be clear what I am basically saying is I have to user internet explorer for my job, there is no alternative.  I am also saying that if the browser is not IE 8 or in IE 8 mode, it won't work at all.  I am trying to find a way where I don't have to manually change it to IE 8 mode everytime I open a new tab or window on Internet Explorer.

Please help!  
    Thank you

Kyle

P.S. I have seen this kind of question asked before and seen this answer: 

Hi,

there is Quirks, Near Standards and Standards modes.... the Document and Browser modes are for testing purposes...visitors to your sites should not have to consider what browser or version they are using... code to standards and offer fallbacks for browser versions that don't support the features of your website.

for any web page validate you web pages with a valid document type and correct the errors to allow the web browser to parse and render the document in 'Standards' mode.... Different IE version are capable of (have been programmed for) different releases (versions) of (x)html. IE8 and higher are capable of displaying validated in Standards mode... IE8, IE9 and IE10 have different error corrections and symbol tables and various levels of implementation of the css2 and 3 specs. (see w3c.org)

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, and it doesn't seem to be answering my question.  Just wanted to clarify that this answer would not help me, or that I don't understand it.

Montag, 14. Januar 2013 02:34

Antworten

• Hi,

your quoting my answer.....

what it means is that there should be no reason (at all) why your company REQUIRES IE8.... IE9/10 emulate earlier versions of IE (see developer tool>Browser Mode and Document Mode lists)

if your company is using third-party websites that say they require IE8 then it is up to those websites to program their websites with the x-ua meta tag that tells IE browsers to use an emulation of a previous version of IE... when IE9 or 10 switches browser mode it sends the userAgent string for that earlier version of IE to the server.... tricking it to think that the client browser is an earlier version. (some websites have incorrectly programmed how they detect the version of a webbrowser and so give false or incorrect warning messages).

see Defining Document Compatibility

if your company's internal websites (Intranet) does not render properly in IE8 and higher, then you can

1. using GPO or manually turn on "Display Intranet sites in Compatibility View" on the Tools>Compatibility View Settings menu. 

2. correct your intranet websites to 'Standards' compliance so that they render in all versions of IE and any other 'compliant' web browser.

You would choose option 1 above if your company did not have the resources or the resource skills to develop/write code to industry standards OR if you are using Sharepoint.

If your company is using its own or third-party activeX controls or IE addons/Toolbars that do not work properly in later IE versions then you should

check with the vendor of the third-party activeX or Addon for updated versions that meet the tighter security requirements of later versions of IE. For your internally developed ActiveX controls, you should consider re-writing them to meet security requirements or only use them on pages on sites in your Intranet zone (where security is more forgiving).

"I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, and it doesn't seem to be answering my question.  Just wanted to clarify that this answer would not help me, or that I don't understand it."

in really simple terms... Yes and no...

for your sharepoint and other intranet sites, you can switch on the Compatibility View Setting... "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View".

for external sites (third-party) .... it is up to the programmers of those sites to program them (by adding a x-ua meta tag or fixing/removing their incorrect browser sniffing scripts) correctly.... (also check "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" in the Compatibility View Settings)

or

you can just press the Compatibility View button on the Address bar if the site does not 'look' right (does not render correctly) to place its domain in the internal list of sites requiring compatibility view.

for ActiveX or IEAddons that require only IE8 in order to run properly, NO.... use of these should be discontinued until such time they have been upgraded to meet the security requirements of later versions of IE...

If you are encountering websites that say you need IE8 for security reasons (256bit encryption) then those websites are incorrect (they have not been programmed correctly and are using userAgent sniffing)... IE8 and higher use 256bit encryption by default.

To give you a better qualified answer (and in general when posting a question to these forum) include some sample website addresses that you are having problems with so that we can investigate further to give our best answers.

Also include the full details of any error messages that you are receiving from those sites... thx.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 00:21

Alle Antworten

• My company is a little outdated and IE8 is the only compatible browser that I can use for my job.  I just had to get a new computer and it has windows 8.  I know if I open up IE10 and press F12 I can then change the browser mode from IE10 to IE8, but I have to do that for every window.  Is there a way to change it to where it defaults to IE8 mode?  

See if this works in ie10,

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Mark Hazell Montag, 17. Februar 2014 16:15
    Montag, 14. Januar 2013 15:43
  • Hi,

your quoting my answer.....

what it means is that there should be no reason (at all) why your company REQUIRES IE8.... IE9/10 emulate earlier versions of IE (see developer tool>Browser Mode and Document Mode lists)

if your company is using third-party websites that say they require IE8 then it is up to those websites to program their websites with the x-ua meta tag that tells IE browsers to use an emulation of a previous version of IE... when IE9 or 10 switches browser mode it sends the userAgent string for that earlier version of IE to the server.... tricking it to think that the client browser is an earlier version. (some websites have incorrectly programmed how they detect the version of a webbrowser and so give false or incorrect warning messages).

see Defining Document Compatibility

if your company's internal websites (Intranet) does not render properly in IE8 and higher, then you can

1. using GPO or manually turn on "Display Intranet sites in Compatibility View" on the Tools>Compatibility View Settings menu. 

2. correct your intranet websites to 'Standards' compliance so that they render in all versions of IE and any other 'compliant' web browser.

You would choose option 1 above if your company did not have the resources or the resource skills to develop/write code to industry standards OR if you are using Sharepoint.

If your company is using its own or third-party activeX controls or IE addons/Toolbars that do not work properly in later IE versions then you should

check with the vendor of the third-party activeX or Addon for updated versions that meet the tighter security requirements of later versions of IE. For your internally developed ActiveX controls, you should consider re-writing them to meet security requirements or only use them on pages on sites in your Intranet zone (where security is more forgiving).

"I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, and it doesn't seem to be answering my question.  Just wanted to clarify that this answer would not help me, or that I don't understand it."

in really simple terms... Yes and no...

for your sharepoint and other intranet sites, you can switch on the Compatibility View Setting... "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View".

for external sites (third-party) .... it is up to the programmers of those sites to program them (by adding a x-ua meta tag or fixing/removing their incorrect browser sniffing scripts) correctly.... (also check "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" in the Compatibility View Settings)

or

you can just press the Compatibility View button on the Address bar if the site does not 'look' right (does not render correctly) to place its domain in the internal list of sites requiring compatibility view.

for ActiveX or IEAddons that require only IE8 in order to run properly, NO.... use of these should be discontinued until such time they have been upgraded to meet the security requirements of later versions of IE...

If you are encountering websites that say you need IE8 for security reasons (256bit encryption) then those websites are incorrect (they have not been programmed correctly and are using userAgent sniffing)... IE8 and higher use 256bit encryption by default.

To give you a better qualified answer (and in general when posting a question to these forum) include some sample website addresses that you are having problems with so that we can investigate further to give our best answers.

Also include the full details of any error messages that you are receiving from those sites... thx.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 00:21
  • Hi Rob,

I take it from your response to Kyle that you recommend an organisation using SharePoint should set their browser to have their Intranet set to be in compatibility Mode?

Can you please clarify that a little? We are a SharePoint 2010 environment for our Intranet, and the majority of end users are using IE8. We have found that certain page rendering and printing of InfoPath Browser forms don't work too well unless we remove the tick from that box. The pages all have "meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8"" (I removed the opening and closing chevrons - wasn't sure if they'd screw up here..)

For example I have an InfoPath browser form which I have set up on a web part page, along with simple CSS in a CEWP to stop the printing of page banner, print button and other items not required in the printout. We've set the Page Setup in the Browser to shrink to fit, print background colours, blank headers and footers so that the form prints out nicely on one page (it is a report that goes to a magistrate when a traffic offender has completed their course). The form will print in huge font over three pages when the Intranet is IN compatibility View, but will render as a single page (as required) when the Intranet is NOT set to Compatibility View.

Unfortunately I don't have any control over the multiple end user machines/  operating system / Browser version etc. at the various clubs around the state, but this is one common scenario that I have found - IE8 in compatibility View seems to ignore the Shrink to Fit setting but when not in compatibility View works fine. By my logic (dubious at the best of times) if an Intranet is a SharePoint 2010 environment and the browser is IE8 it shouldn't need to be in compatibility View in any case?

I'd appreciate any insight - this is all voodoo to me....

Mark

Mark

Dienstag, 26. März 2013 02:23
  • I had same problem where it work on my local machine but not working on PROD server which made to think that my local machine might got an update from Microsoft and PROD server has not been updated.The app we are testing was doing good on IE compatibility mode but was getting all kinds of weird things in IE 10.

I asked to update the prod server with the hot fix which was released by Microsoft 2 years back. But my server has 2.0 framework on it , so i asked them to move to framework 3.5 and apply this fix . Now the app does function fine and I am able to use without changing the browser mode to IE 10 compatibility mode.

Here is the link for the fix

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2600088&kbln=en-us

Montag, 10. Juni 2013 21:09
  • Yes of course all websites should be compatible.

But they aren't.

Please note BBC, Microsoft, Apple etc.

Dienstag, 6. August 2013 12:42
  • Press F12 click on explorer mode and choose Internet Explorer 8.  Hope this helps.
    Donnerstag, 23. Januar 2014 07:11
  • ou can use the FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION  feature of Internet explorer.

Start regedit.exe, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

create a DWORD iexplore.exe and set the value to 9999 (0x270F).

Dienstag, 11. März 2014 14:05