Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/%username%/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/RANDOMFILE.htm'

Question

•  

Hi,

I am currently rolling out Vista Enterprise. I did a few users, who are using everything happily. I have just done another few and when printing from IE7, they get the error

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/%username%/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/RANDOMFILE.htm'. Make Sure the path or Internet address is correct."

The folders all have Full control permission for the user. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hello,

When UAC is enabled, IE7 is running under Protected Mode and can only write to low integrity objects. The Temp\Low folder has incorrect integrity level setting. Please perform the following steps to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Run command to reset low integrity level on the Low folder

1) Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2) Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

3) In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, copy and paste (without the quotes)

"ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low"

4) Press Enter.

5) Restart the computer and test the issue.

Turn off IE protect mode

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, clear the Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer) option.

4) Click OK and restart IE7.

Turn off UAC

1) Log on to the Windows Vista-based computer as a local administrator.

2) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3) Double-click User Accounts, and then click Turn User Account Control on or off.

4) Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box.

5) Click OK.

6) When you are prompted, restart the computer.

Hope it works!

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Perform step 2 to disable Internet Explorer Protected Mode directly and let me know the result ASAP. In addition, could you please copy and paste the outcome after running command in step 1? Thanks for your time and understanding!

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When UAC is enabled, IE7 is running under Protected Mode and can only write to low integrity objects. The Temp\Low folder has incorrect integrity level setting. Please perform the following steps to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Run command to reset low integrity level on the Low folder

1) Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2) Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

3) In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, copy and paste (without the quotes)

"ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low"

4) Press Enter.

5) Restart the computer and test the issue.

Turn off IE protect mode

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, clear the Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer) option.

4) Click OK and restart IE7.

Turn off UAC

1) Log on to the Windows Vista-based computer as a local administrator.

2) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3) Double-click User Accounts, and then click Turn User Account Control on or off.

4) Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box.

5) Click OK.

6) When you are prompted, restart the computer.

Hope it works!

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried all of these things, however I need to have THE UAC on to prevent users doing other things. Also, what other consequences are there of having Protected Mode off? Changing the folder integrity made no difference.

Friday, September 05, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Perform step 2 to disable Internet Explorer Protected Mode directly and let me know the result ASAP. In addition, could you please copy and paste the outcome after running command in step 1? Thanks for your time and understanding!

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:24 AM
  • I am having the same problem.

I did step one with no luck - no change.

I did step two and the issue has stopped.  I'd prefer to keep the box checked and not have the printing issue...

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:34 AM
  • FWIW...

I recently upgraded from vista basic to vista pro and this problem started for all users on the system.

Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/Sandy/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/XVCXKP20.htm'.  Make sure the patch of Internet address is correct.

I checked the path and the Low folder was missing.  Simply creating the folder worked without any of the other steps listed above.

Hope this helps some of you.

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Hello -- I know this thread is over a month old, but I have just encountered this exact problem, and there is no solution indicated in this thread.  When I try to print anything from Internet Explorer I get an error message such as the following: "Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/Howard/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/PNSFJT48.htm'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."  I have determined that there is no "Low" subdirectory in the referenced location.  How can I print from IE?  I am running Vista Home Premium x64.
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  

Hi Andy,

I hope you can assist with this problem.

I have found this post very interesting but far from conclusive. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3835117&SiteID=17

I have recently reinstalled Vista due to an issue with IE7 that caused it to crash consistently. This was passed to MS support who tried to solve this by supplying tools to create process specific dump files for analysis. However months went by with no success and I could not continue waiting for a result.

This fresh install appeared to work fine except for printing that others in this post have mentioned. The only change to the new Vista setup compared to the old install is that I have moved the \Users\247 Digital to the D:\ partition rather than the default of C:\.

This is not ideal as it is not possible to move all of the Users files to D:\ but it appears to work. I'm sure that there is a way to do this through an unattended install but my knowledge does not extend that far so all changes have ben made after the install completed.

Even so, I do not believe that this is the reason for the problem I am experiencing as none of the other users mention this.

Step 1 does not work as there is no "Low" subdirectory.

On creating this directory it was deleted when Disk Cleanup ran. I have recreated it but am apparently unable to alter security settings in the Properties Tab even though I have administrative rights.

Step 2 works but is not really an option as I could print previously with protected mode turned on.

Step 3 - Same as Step 2. Could print with UAC turned on.

Any help you can provide would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 08, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Hello Andy,
    efter running your suggestions I now can´t access ANY files on my computer via dubbel click. Not even an attachment in Outlook can be opend.

The error message I get is
    "Windows cannot access \\SERVER01\Users\?\My Documents\randomfile?"
    Error code : 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Both UAC and IE7 protections are stated again.

How do I revert the command promt changes suggested by you?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Hi Andy,

I tried the Run command to reset low integrity level on the Low folder but I am getting the following error. Can you suggest anything else?

The system cannot find the file specified.
    Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

Thanks
    SK

Monday, February 02, 2009 2:55 AM
  • My Skype stopped working and I cannot reinstall it, since I am getting 1603 errors. I was trying to fix it, and tried to install Windows installer cleanup utility and setup failed giving me an error cannot find the %APPDATA%\ in the network.

I tried a installer utility from skype support center, and it also failed to get installed, indicating that cannot find the %APPDATA%\ file.

can you please help.  
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Creating the folder manually and running the setintegritylevel command usually works; however, any disk cleanup program will empty the temp folders and the [ Low ] folder is not recreated by IE as it is supposed to do.

This is just another problem that Microsoft has not fixed with an update patch.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 2:46 AM