none
IE9 32bit on Windows 7 x64 SP1. Cant download any files, file gets deleted with a virus found message

Question

• Hi.

One Pc here in the office has an issue with IE9 32bit on Windowes 7 X64 SP1.

Whenever any file is downloaded using IE9 the download starts and finishes ok, then a message comes up saying "<Filename> contained a virus and was deleted"

This happens with all types of files not just .exe. I have tried resetting IE9 settings and running IE9 without addons, still the same happens. Disabling the antivirus also has no effect. 

IE9 64 bit downloads files ok which is strange.

Anyone any ideas of a solution or some things to try ?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, June 06, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How it works when you try to boot into Safe Mode with networking?

If it works fine in Safe Mode with networking, it may be caused by software conflicts; you could perform a Clean Boot to eliminate software conflicts.

If this issue persists, you could try to turn off Internet Explorer 9 and turn on it again to see how it works:

1.    Close all programs.

2.    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3.    Click Programs and Feature.

4.    In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.

5.    In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 9.

6.    You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

7.    Restart Windows 7, and repeat the steps 1-4, check the box of Internet Explorer 9.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How it works when you try to boot into Safe Mode with networking?

If it works fine in Safe Mode with networking, it may be caused by software conflicts; you could perform a Clean Boot to eliminate software conflicts.

If this issue persists, you could try to turn off Internet Explorer 9 and turn on it again to see how it works:

1.    Close all programs.

2.    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3.    Click Programs and Feature.

4.    In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.

5.    In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 9.

6.    You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

7.    Restart Windows 7, and repeat the steps 1-4, check the box of Internet Explorer 9.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:59 AM
  • I have the same issue...

Alex...this is not for a particular file, any file I download has the same behavior. It doesn't matter if I download it via IE90, chrome or mozilla. I can see the file in download folder, as soon as download reaches 100% it gets deleted. It doesn't go in the recycle bin.

Really really frustrating.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:24 PM
  • What AV are you using?
    Friday, June 10, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hi hittcontact,

To avoid confusion, please open a new thread in forum, and there will be more engineers and community members to deal with your issue.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:08 AM
  • This solution is not working. I noticed this problem when I upgraded my AVG 2011 to AVG 2012.   Then it started destroy a script in the skype. Then it destroyed a script in the yahoo messenger. now it has infected the Internet Explorer 9.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 4:50 PM