none
Internet Explorer not working for one user !

Question

• My laptop got a virus (on the admin user side) and the internet and everything stopped working as per usual.  So I went onto one of the other user accounts and they were working fine.  I went onto my laptops secure mode to scan for viruses, however the internet on the admin secure mode (with networking) wouldn't work.  Long story short I got rid of the virus by going on another user account BUT i still can't get the Internet Explorer working on the original user account (the one which got the virus).  So basically Internet Explorer is working for all other user accounts bar one ..  

I hope this makes sense! 

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Oh also my laptop's a Dell, Windows Vista. 

Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:51 PM

Answers

• Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you open IE (only) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737, run the Fix It and then reboot?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed on this computer?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:38 PM