none
unable to drag URLs from Internet Explorer into Outlook Calendar

Question

• Currently if I use FireFox, Chrome, or Safari I can click on a site's fav.ico and drag it to the Outlook Calendar to create an appointment.  It will put the Page title in as the Subject, which is important for what we use it for.  If I attempt to do this with Internet Explorer 9 with Windows 7 I get the stop symbol and the appointment will not be created.  It did previously work on Windows XP sp3 with Internet Explorer 8.  A registry update may have been implemented though but I cannot say with because it would have been done before I started working here.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Drag drop from the IE9 address bar is used to create a pinned site.... or desktop shortcut .....

Drag/drop from the Address bar will no longer create a clipboard entry that can be pasted into another application.

However you can still drag/drop a favorite link from the Favorites folder or drag/drop and entry from your History folder (ctrl+H) into outlook calendar that will add the webpage title as the subject line of the calendar entry.

Normally one would use the Shortcuts folder in Outlook to store web addresses.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:46 AM
  • I can click on a site's fav.ico and drag it to the Outlook Calendar to create an appointment.

If I attempt to do this with Internet Explorer 9 with Windows 7 I get the stop symbol and the appointment will not be create

Any ideas?

If you want to drag compatibly using IE9 you must press Shift- first.   As Rob mentioned, dragging now creates  .website  shortcuts instead of  .url  shortcuts  but dragging after pressing Shift-  still creates  .url  shortcuts.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:44 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Drag drop from the IE9 address bar is used to create a pinned site.... or desktop shortcut .....

Drag/drop from the Address bar will no longer create a clipboard entry that can be pasted into another application.

However you can still drag/drop a favorite link from the Favorites folder or drag/drop and entry from your History folder (ctrl+H) into outlook calendar that will add the webpage title as the subject line of the calendar entry.

Normally one would use the Shortcuts folder in Outlook to store web addresses.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:46 AM
  • I can click on a site's fav.ico and drag it to the Outlook Calendar to create an appointment.

If I attempt to do this with Internet Explorer 9 with Windows 7 I get the stop symbol and the appointment will not be create

Any ideas?

If you want to drag compatibly using IE9 you must press Shift- first.   As Rob mentioned, dragging now creates  .website  shortcuts instead of  .url  shortcuts  but dragging after pressing Shift-  still creates  .url  shortcuts.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:44 PM
    Answerer