none
IE9 wont open pages, just give a new tab thats blank

Question

• IE9 won't open a lot of pages.  It just opens a new tab that is a blank screen and a empty tab title.  The extension types all vary.  However, if I cut and paste the link in a new tab it will work.  I already tried to down grade the version to 8, but it says its unsupported by windows 7 64 bit, funny I started with 8...
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may be disturbed by some add-ons or malware, you’d better run Internet Explorer with “no-add-ons” model first.

1.       Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;

2.       Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.

If the problem disappears, it could be caused by Internet Explorer add-ons, you could try following steps to narrow down.

1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.

2.    Disable the Google add-ons and keep the needed items on.

3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.

4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Also you can reset your IE settings. Here is an official article can be referred to.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

If the issue persists, you could restore the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the Internet Explorer feature in the control panel ->Programs and Features.

Note: Before you restore internet explorer, please perform a system backup first and backup your favorites.

Besides of above suggestions, you’d better scan your computer and clear malware in time.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:30 PM

All replies

• it seems to that IE opens a new tab instead opening a link - does it happen on all website you visit.

Web Designer Edinburgh Web Designer Glasgow
    SEO Edinburgh SEO Glasgow

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:51 PM
  • IE9 won't open a lot of pages.  It just opens a new tab that is a blank screen and a empty tab title.

Try using some DLL re-registration.

I already tried to down grade the version to 8, but it says its unsupported by windows 7 64 bit

Correct technique is to uninstall the IE9 update.   That would return you to the base level of browser functionality in W7, which is IE8.
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

You may be disturbed by some add-ons or malware, you’d better run Internet Explorer with “no-add-ons” model first.

1.       Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;

2.       Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.

If the problem disappears, it could be caused by Internet Explorer add-ons, you could try following steps to narrow down.

1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.

2.    Disable the Google add-ons and keep the needed items on.

3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.

4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Also you can reset your IE settings. Here is an official article can be referred to.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

If the issue persists, you could restore the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the Internet Explorer feature in the control panel ->Programs and Features.

Note: Before you restore internet explorer, please perform a system backup first and backup your favorites.

Besides of above suggestions, you’d better scan your computer and clear malware in time.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Interesting comment but the solution doesn't work. In fact, I cant use the link in your response (http://support.microsoft.com/kb923737) because it simply gives me a blank page.

In fact, all of the links in the mircosoft pages don't work properly. I've seen variations of this question on the 'link doesn't work or link goes to blank tab" all over this micorsoft forum and several other help forums. The sum total of all the complaints must be staggering.

If the links in microsoft's own pages won't open into a tab with content, then somebody ought to realize there is a problem and needs to get busy with a fix and send it out.

• Proposed as answer by tcontop1 Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tcontop1 Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mjpalm Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:50 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I cant use the link in your response

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926717

Microsoft search for
    )

In fact, all of the links in the mircosoft pages don't work properly.

Hyperbole?

If the links in microsoft's own pages won't open into a tab with content, then

users could try to find out why.    E.g. the above link you were given was not a link but a mistyped URL.   So, figure out what was intended, use that and then report politely what the correct link should be.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 16, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Okay , understand how you feel, was having same problems on brand new computer, you might want to try this

control panel

unistall programs

view installed updates

click on internet explorer 9, delete,

restart computer,

use start menu to go into internet,

HOPE THIS WORKS, GOOD LUCK

this worked for me ( got it from U tube of course lol)

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:26 AM
  • @tcontop1: To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread => http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/d40e1969-11d8-414b-a851-2eb96d3c3d3b 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:40 PM
  • You people keep offering the same solution to this problem but "IT DOES NOT WORK" Frustrating to so many people!
    Monday, April 02, 2012 11:42 PM
  • @Jimmy,

503 and higher server errors display a blank page in ALL web browsers....You need to have an understanding of networking to diagnose those issues.... that is why it is important to include the web addresses of the sites you are having trouble with when you ask questions in the Ie support forums....

for consumer help with Ie select the Help>Online support menu from IE and follow the links for your windows and IE versions.

the quality of the answers offered will depend apon the quality of the questions you ask... include as much information as possible... including your windows and Ie versions and the full text of any error messages you receive... commonly home users or students are using mobile connections...

Please start your own question if you cannot find an answer that does not solve your issue.... you may think it is the same cause, but it may not be.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Nice reply if only there was enough room for the full listing of all web pages on the internet - so heres a few that won't open an explorer 9 new tab both my web sites one written in front page the other in net objects... they both work with chrome and fire fox no problem -  None of the UK internet pages found on google, none of the wiki pages...  need I go on?

the problem has apparently been around since Explorer 6 but I never had the problem until I upgraded to Win 7 explorer 9... so if anyone out there knows the line in the reg file which is missing its key please let me know and I'll make sure everyone else knows about it as well - 'cause todate none of the 'cures' are effective...

Friday, April 06, 2012 4:12 PM
  • I just found out that I have the same problem. Everything was fine up to a few weeks ago. If I clicked on a link in say my e-mail it would open a second tab and load the site. Now pages to links like facebook comments, or links in my college website won't load in the new window created.  The the cursor just spins and eventually a blank page appears. I have Windows 7 64 bit. I read somewhere about a recent Microsoft Update causing some problems, but I'm sure it pertains to this one. I tried several different things including the reg server fix, the reg 8 file mentioned, and turning IE off and back on. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. That's my 2 cents. I too hope someone can create a new reg file for IE 9 Alien Pirate. Take care.  
    Friday, April 06, 2012 11:53 PM
  • @alien pirate

please quote uri's not hyperboles. links on search results pages are click throughs.... not direct links to a web page... IE's security settings and popup blocker settings + third-party popup blocker settings can affect these.

works in other browsers but not IE.... usually caused by IE's security settings or IE Addons which are not present in other browsers.... they use a different security model and addons model...

Acid test.... install the IETabs extension for firefox or chrome.....

If a web page loads in the IETab extension in fx or chrome then its a security setting or IE addon. the IE tab extension does not use the IE Security Zone settings (it is actually a scripted web browser control), nor do IE addons get hosted in the host browser's frame.

by any chance are you using an alienware computer? enough said...

Yes there is an answer to the same question that adds a missing regiistry value for a third-party av product. Many AV products bundle a BHO addon with IE to validate uri's in web pages.

Rob^_^

Friday, April 06, 2012 11:59 PM
  • The solution for the problem was already given in Robert's first reply. You just have to read and follow it. If you find that it doesn't solve your problem (which I doubt) please start a new thread on Answers (and not here) and describe your problem in detail and how the instructions on iefaq.onfo worked out.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Saturday, April 07, 2012 2:31 PM
  • The solution for the problem was already given in Robert's first reply. You just have to read and follow it. If you find that it doesn't solve your problem (which I doubt) please start a new thread on Answers (and not here) and describe your problem in detail and how the instructions on iefaq.onfo worked out.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Which you doubt? Well it didn't. :) I may start a new thread, but Chrome seems to be an easier solution. I added the IE tab widget to Chrome to use IE. Everything else seems to work on my Acer laptop correctly soooo. 

• Edited by jeleal1959 Saturday, April 07, 2012 5:24 PM
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 5:23 PM
  • OK, I did a System restore and wala, IE is working properly again. It was a March 29 restore point so you can do the math. Whatever I installed over that time may have been the culprit. I tried a few different anti-viruse programs over that time period, and I'm thinking one of them did something to IE. Take care all.  

• Edited by jeleal1959 Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:49 AM
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:48 AM
  • I've been working on this problem for a couple of days - if you search, you'll find hundreds of people getting the same problem, and there doesn't seem to be a known solution. Mine seemed to be caused by installing some old Windows software. I tried all the solutions I saw, including reinstalling IE9 (and I found I was getting the same problem in IE8). Eventually I've discovered that on my system (Windows 7 64 bit) the problem does not occur in the 64-bit version of IE9 (look in program files directory, not program files (x86).
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:19 PM
  • the problem does not occur in the 64-bit version of IE9

I wonder if this is saying something about  ie8-rereg?   I haven't really paid any attention to how it works with respect to 32 versus 64 bit.   I guess I assumed that either it hit both cases or that it mostly did 64-bit and then WOW64 took care of the rest.   Tracing it with ProcMon would be a good idea,  e.g. counting how many of each  RegSetValue  get done in one application of  ie8-rereg.all.

FWIW ProcMon says I got 2862 all SUCCESS all 64-bit only.   As I said I don't know how the 32-bit version would be affected if this actually did something which changed things.   There are so many GUIDs being referenced that I suspect it is possible that both could be registered but I am surprised that when I do a Find (Ctrl-f) for  (x86)  there are no hits.   That was what I was expecting to be able to use to differentiate a repair which involved a 32-bit module's registry values.

If you want to try the same test the Filters I used are:

Process Name  Is  regsvr32.exe
    Operation   Is   RegSetValue
    Result   Is  SUCCESS

The latter I applied both checked and unchecked to verify that the counts were the same.

Another tack you could take with ProcMon would be to find out where IE 32-bit is stalling.   You would need to have traces of both cases, working and failing, but otherwise as identical as possible.   Then to compare the two I would start with just a Network events, then add Process (to see where there was a difference in loading modules and starting threads before the first Network difference).    Then add Registry to try to see what difference could account for that difference in loading modules and starting threads.

You could also compare the difference between IE 64-bit and IE 32-bit in terms of modules accessed (e.g. as seen by their paths) but that might not be as practical a comparison and again, for all I know WOW64 might make all of that moot anyway.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, August 03, 2012 3:24 AM
  • I haven't really paid any attention to how it works with respect to 32 versus 64 bit.

Apparently Kai has explained that there have been cases which were helped by another of the scripts.

<quote>
    many reports on problems with 32bit IE8 on Windows 7 64bit, that can be corrected with the ie8-rereg.32-on-64.cmd script.
    </quote>

Is that what you tried?

FWIW here is the same analysis for it:   2855 all SUCCESS.

But now I am going to have a problem counting events with  (x86)  in them because that is part of the command line...

So, I can temporarily suppress that from the Display then add another filter:
    Detail   Contains  (x86)

There are 13 events found that way, involving so few modules that I can list them:   ieproxy.dll  pdm.dll  and  vgx.dll  (e.g. setting InProcServer32 values)

IE40.UserAgent.DAT  and   IE.HKLMZoneInfo.DAT  also appear as  BackupFileName values.

Another poster has already confirmed there is some significance about  ieproxy.dll   in related scenarios...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/unable-to-launch-ie-8-or-ie-9-with-win-7-64bit/f3a8ae4c-a132-464b-b4ea-7677d1e942b3?page=2&msgId=b816b478-a12a-4420-bff2-892e9040de1e

Also,
    note that we still don't have an IE Repair that is completely customized for IE9 or IE10.   We're just using one that still seems to work well enough.   If you want to try making your own you could use  DependencyWalker  to help do that as I mention in a comment to an MSFT SE somewhere on this forum recently...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/1f492d6a-3cec-41c8-9f81-82f50f4f8253

In fact, I later found out that the original suggestion given there (for IE10) is probably actually more relevant than I first realized because although there are no explicit references to some of the dll advised to be registered there are some implicit ones.   So my idea of using DependencyWalker for making a new list is only a good first cut.   And IMO that is still more proof that we need a real IE Registry Repair tool, perhaps distributed as an MSDT (W7 troubleshooter).

FYI

Robert
    ---

Saturday, August 04, 2012 4:24 PM
  • I have been experiencing the exact same problems as you, ever since one of the last Tuesday updates, either in June or July. I can't remember which. I go to Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 and it works fine. It is definitely a Microsoft IE problem.
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I have neither the time nor patience for this.

My new computer had this problem right out of the box....

As soon as I can figure out how to download another browser (Chrome)...I am outta here.

Way to go Microsoft....

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:58 PM
  • FWIW, I recently had pretty much the same problem with IE9 not opening external links in a new tab. Blank tab shows, spinning circle shows, nothing happens from that point on. Cancel/Reload loads the page fine so nothing wrong with the URL.

Turned out that some rogue (un)installer had corrupted the registry information for MSHTML.DLL, more specific the values under ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3050F1C5-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}’. Seems that some uninstallers conclude that MSHTML.DLL is no longer required and throw the registry values out.

Since the Win7/IE9 MSHTML.DLL is not a self-registering DLL it is NOT possible to repair the damage by running regsvr32. Neither IE reset or reinstalling IE9 solved the problem. That might explain why so many have not been able to solve this problem. Then again most threads on the topic have so much confusion going on that it’s hard to tell who has and who hasn’t their problems solved.

I managed to repair my system by pulling the registry key from another PC. Some sites suggest running ‘regtlibv12.exe’ on mshtml.tlb to repair the registry but that seems to cause some issues with 32/64 bit DLLs on an x64 system.

Would be good if MS had some way to fix this automatically.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:38 PM
  • the values under ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3050F1C5-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}’.

C:\Windows>findstr /s /m /i "3050F1C5-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B" *

shows that the only mshtml.dll  which contains that string is one in  Assembly\GAC

It also appears in  Installer\953a17.msi  which might suggest that uninstalling the IE9 update could act as a repair.

Otherwise it is mostly in  mshtmled.dll  and  ie-htmlediting_   .manifest

But also in  ie-htmlrendering_  .manifest

Going only by the latest manifests there was exactly 1 instance of your GUID in the ie-htmlediting one but 767 instances of it in the ie-htmlrendering one.

WTH does all that mean?   Could the manifests provide a means to check the registry and repair it manually?  Can msiexec.exe be used to take advantage of them in any way?   Maybe we could finally be rid of the flakey regsvr32.exe repairs that way?

Anyway some good news is that re-registering  mshtmled.dll   does set two values for a Typelib\GUID.   For some reason I had the idea that  mshtmled.dll  was not COM aware.

Thanks for making me find this.

Robert
    ---

Friday, August 24, 2012 5:17 AM

• Anyway some good news is that re-registering  mshtmled.dll   does set two values for a Typelib\GUID.   For some reason I had the idea that  mshtmled.dll  was not COM aware.

Neither re-installing Internet Explorer 9 nor reregistering mshtmled.dll solved my problem.

As far as re-registering mshtmled.dll goes: This DLL contains a reference to typelib ‘3050f1c5-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b’ because it has the ability to register the HtmlDlgSafeHelper class. Effectively it uses this information to set ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3050f819-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}\TypeLib’. I tried running the ‘ie8-rereg.all’ from ‘iefaq.info’ and it did not solve the problem either. The scripts reregisters mshtmled.dll among a lot of other DLLs.

As far as re-installing IE9 goes: I tried removing IE9 by disabling (and re-enabling) it from the ‘Windows Features’ dialog in ‘Programs and Features’. That did not work. I also uninstalled it using the ‘uninstall  an update’ dialog in ‘Programs and Features’. That brought me back to IE8 while still not being able to open links in new tabs. Re-installing IE9 did not solve the problem either.

In the meanwhile I found the particular value that causes the problem and wrote a small shell script to repair it. The key is ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3050F1C5-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}\4.0\0\win32’ and the default value should be ‘C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.tlb’ (in case your systemroot is C:\Windows of course). The script does some checks before rewriting the value but in essence the command I to repair it is ‘REG ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3050F1C5-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}\4.0\0\win32" /ve /d "%SystemRoot%\System32\mshtml.tlb" /f’.

IE10 basically shows the same behavior when these values (Win8 contains both a Win32 and a Win64 value) are missing but since the registry permissions in Win8 have been sharpened compared to Win7 it is unlikely that these values will get corrupted when running Win8.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Check to see if you have an add-on called Yontoo installed by looking at "Manage add-ons" in your IE settings.  Using control panel in IE9 "Programs and Features" I deleted this program completely by checking all items and the box at the bottom of the delete menu.  Fixed all my tab problems!  Google says Yontoo has something to do with showing ads on Facebook but I don't use Facebook so I don't know if deleting Yontoo will affect your Facebook experience.
    • Proposed as answer by Coldlazerus Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:25 PM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:33 PM
  •   I have the same problem.  Very frustrating.  Brand new system and, right out of the gate, it doesn't work...  ...and I need to open one such 'link-to-new-tab' page to get my email working on this new system.

It looks like Microsoft has a fix which, judging from the responses, involves logging in as the system administrator.  Unfortunately the access that they've posted to this is via precisely the type of link that doesn't work so no one, who has the problem, is able to access the posted solution.  I'm sorry that I,m unable to relocate the URL quickly at this time but recall that it was posted by someone at MS named Steven or Stephen.  Perhaps someone who doesn't have this access problem could find it and repost the solution here.  In the meantime I'm going to go back on my old XP Windows 7 system to try to find, access and apply it.

With regards to the regedit/value solution perhaps someone could post it's step-by-step application for those of us who aren't tech savy enough to intuit the process.

'

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:11 PM
  • IE 9  opening blank tabs:-

I had the same problem on a customer’s Laptop running Win7 pro.

After removing the anti-virus  I ran the upgrade option from the installation CD (enabled the option to do it on line).

Interestingly after the installation of the upgrade it told me it had to repair Net framework ver 4

May be this has something to do with the problem.

Reinstalled Anti-virus

All worked ok

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Ok this issue seems to continue as I have run into it several times. The problem usualy occurs when someone runs the compatability wizard to open an old program.

What happens then is links open IE9 program files (X86) version of IE instead of the IE in program files. If you open the x64 version you do not have the problem, also opening the program files version of IE does not have the problem. You can repoint your IE icon to the correct version in program files but the trouble is links that have allready been created still go to program files (X86) and links in Outlook and anywhere else also open the worng version of IE. I need to know where the registry key is that

calls up IE links to change it back to the default location. So far each time I get this problem I have had to reinstall the system to correct as I could not find an answer that worked anywhere. Also uninstalling IE9 and reinstalling does not fix it nor does any script. Thank You for your time. I did not open a new question as it doesn't look like this was ever answered .

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:00 PM
  • uninstalling IE9 and reinstalling does not fix it nor does any script.

That's possible.  Uninstalling IE9 would try to preserve the registry as much as possible and the "script" (as was mentioned above) is not necessarily complete, even if security/obscurity was not obstructing what it would try to do.   You would have to use ProcMon to try to diagnose your symptom.

---

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:59 AM
  • BINGO! That is exactly what's happened here too.  Has anyone been able to find the key to revert IE back to 64bit?
    Monday, January 14, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Well...i did the next procedure and now it´s fixed:

Solution:
    Open
    registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main, create a DWORD value, and name it
    TabProcGrowth.

TabProcGrowth=0: Tabs will be created as threads(instead
    of processes) in the iexplore.exe process(only 1 process exist, thus no save
    path resets);

TabProcGrowth=1: Tabs will be created as separate
    sub-processes according to different mandatory integrity
    levels;

TabProcGrowth>1: Tabs will be created as separate
    sub-processes until the maximum number of tabs(specified by this value) is
    reached;

No TabProcGrowth value: Default, amount of free physical memory
    will determine the number of sub-processes.

I set it to 1 and is working
    after restarting IE.

I tried with the IEFAQS registering dlls scripts,
    and it doesn´t solve anything in my case.

Marcelo S.

• Proposed as answer by MicahBeasley Monday, November 04, 2013 7:30 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Thank you for posting this solution, Marcelo! This is the only thing that has worked for me. I had this issue for several months in IE9, and tried various solutions offered in this thread and others. I upgraded to IE10 yesterday, hoping that might somehow resolve the issue, but it didn't. I followed your instructions, though I had to set the value to 0 for it to work.

Well...i did the next procedure and now it´s fixed:

Solution:
    Open
    registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main, create a DWORD value, and name it
    TabProcGrowth.

TabProcGrowth=0: Tabs will be created as threads(instead
    of processes) in the iexplore.exe process(only 1 process exist, thus no save
    path resets);

TabProcGrowth=1: Tabs will be created as separate
    sub-processes according to different mandatory integrity
    levels;

TabProcGrowth>1: Tabs will be created as separate
    sub-processes until the maximum number of tabs(specified by this value) is
    reached;

No TabProcGrowth value: Default, amount of free physical memory
    will determine the number of sub-processes.

I set it to 1 and is working
    after restarting IE.

I tried with the IEFAQS registering dlls scripts,
    and it doesn´t solve anything in my case.

Marcelo S.

• Proposed as answer by mph614 Monday, March 04, 2013 12:57 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 12:57 PM
  • This worked for me.  After trying many other options, including turning off all add-ons, I had to reset IE settings as mentioned above and IT WORKED!!  Thank you!

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:37 PM
  • This did not work for me. I have the exact same problem. And the registry fields you mention do no teven exsist on my windows 7 64bit machine.

I do not have:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main

Mine says:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\New Window

and that's it, there are NO registry entries at all in this area.

Can anyone offer any help?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Ok... I'm a little late to "the game" on this one.  But I started getting this problem a few day ago.  It was "f'ing" driving me NUTS.  Most of web links I sent my self worked, but some didn't.  I am using IE 10.

I read all of these posts... and as you know... you kind of get ideas most likely to not do some serious damage to your system... if you have everything just the way you want it.

I figured it had to be something that was installed recently.... so I when to the control panel to see what I updated or what was installed lately.  There is where I found my clue.  "Google".  Someone on this thread mentioned Google and someone also mentioned plugins.  I went to the "managed plugins" in IE 10 and just disable "ChromeFrame BHO" and whalla... it worked.  It tested the links that just used to "blank out" after the wheel spins... and they all worked.  Of course I had to close down and restart IE10 after I disabled "ChromeFrame BHO".  It was that simple.  Microsoft and Google butting heads... what else is new.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Tried...can't select Remove, it's grayed out ;-(
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:11 PM
  • I can't find ChromeFrames...I see Google add-ons but where is it?
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:13 PM
  • Hello all. I've tried all of the above recommendations to no success. Thx for the suggestions but I found the solution for us all

Complete Internet Repair is the application's name and it can be downloaded off of cNet via download(dot)com. Out of all of the available options to choose from I checked Repair Internet Explorer ONLY.

The direct download for this file is http://download.cnet.com/Complete-Internet-Repair/3000-2094_4-75332305.html

WARNING: After the application runs it will force you to reboot and close any and all apps or windows. All of your troubles will be over BUT the reboot is not a request. SAVE any projects that are open because the system WILL REBOOT. Voila.

• Proposed as answer by Jan Zweden Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jan Zweden Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by lynngriff Friday, June 21, 2013 4:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by lynngriff Friday, June 21, 2013 4:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by barron58 Friday, September 13, 2013 7:41 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 5:18 PM
  • This solution worked for me on IE10.  I set it to no value or 0.
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Thank you so much, Callous. The Complete Internet Repair program worked like a charm for me. It's SO much easier to click on a link and see the web page appear in a new tab, just like in Chrome and Firefox, than to have to cut and paste the URL in a new search box. I'm going to recommend this solution to others who may have the same problem. This truly is a breakthrough application.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:03 PM
  • OMG, after trying dozens of other "fixes", this is the only thing that worked.  As one other responder posted though, I too had to set mine to zero.  But BAM, it works!  Thank you so much Marcelo S.! 

BTW, I also have IE10 so maybe 10 requires the zero setting................

• Edited by lmbrat Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Thanks Callous this solution worked for me, no more blank tabs at last!
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:25 PM
  • I'm sure the poster means voila, not wala, otherwise what the hell is wala. The links in the microsoft article will work in a non microsoft Browser such as Google Chrome or Opera.

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Worked like a charm!!!  Thank you!!!!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Thank you very Much Callous, this worked great.

I was about to give up hope after reading all the other posts, scared me, didn't understand a lot of what was being said.

This worked in seconds.  THANKS THANKS THANKS

Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:43 PM
  • I have the same problem and none of the suggested solutions will correct the problem.  In fact, the problem has got worse lately, maybe because of some recent updates.  Now I cannot even open a link in Facebook without encountering this problem.  The only solution that has worked for me is to install Google Chrome which works perfectly with no technical problems at all.  Come on, Microsoft, fix this annoying bug once and for all!!  Thanks --
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Then you move the mouse over the lock on the top of the screen and a red security shield turns up. None of these solutions worked, from running in safe mode, disabling all add ons, running in and out of protected mode, clearing internet cache, uninstalling and reinstalling internet explorer, downgrading to version 8, msconfig disable all running services on next startup, BLA BLA BLA!!!!!!!!! Right before I was to reinstall windown 7,  I DISABLED TABBED BROWSING. restart machine, it worked. No more damn blank pages slowing me down anymore.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 7:04 PM
  • none of these solutions worked for me, and since this was happening the day I purchased my pc, I blame the Major OEM and their BLOATWARE for crippling the most used program that CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED & REINSTALLED! run in safe mode, msconfig disable all running services on next reboot, run in no add on mode, 32 bit internet explorer, 64 bit internet explorer, disable all add on's, msconfig h/key/machine$$##^% disable key, downgrade to ie 8, upgrade to ie10. BLA BLA BLA!!!!  just before I purchased a new copy of windows 7 with no bloatware I was ready to reinstall and I just tried one more thing, I disabled tabbed browsing. restarted machine. it works. yea, its more a complete u turn rather than a workaround, but it wont slow your day down when you have a tight deadline looming and need stuff done, and your webpages wont be BLANK anymore.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:16 PM
  • move the mouse over the lock on the top of the screen and a red security shield turns up.

That sounds like a different symptom and a different problem than what has been discussed in this thread.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:56 AM
  • I have a similar problem with IE11. Except that even if I run as administrator all my menu options are disabled except for "file", "safety" and "compatibility view settings". Internet Options menu item is actually disabled in IE.

However, I can open Internet Options via control panel. And from there I disabled ALL add-ons, with no effect. I even removed and added IE under "windows features" and that did nothing.

Other browsers work 100% fine. I should mention I am the administrator of my PC (running win 8.1) so its not like its a limited admin rights thing.

Could really use some help here.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:57 PM
  • I have a similar problem with IE11.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=MarzSocks

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Worked for me!!! I tried several other "solutions" posted elsewhere... many hours and installs/uninstall... edits/re-edits later... nothing worked.  EXCEPT this.  Thanks!  Finally.  Friggin' MSIE... come on Redmond-- get it right!
    Monday, November 04, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

I've tested the above 'TabProcGrowth' mod in the reg, which seems to work, but kills other things (like logmein file transfer).

The solution that worked 100% for me was :-

(Run in DOS windows - As Administrator)

regsvr32 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

• Proposed as answer by Stivi.E Monday, March 24, 2014 3:03 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 1:26 PM
  • can you provide detailed instructions for your solution?
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hats off to you Callous!  It's the only thing that worked for me.

Pass it along.

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:46 AM
  • Callous I don't know how you found this but thank you - this went through three levels of admins and one very upset client until it reached my desk.  Five hours later and I found your tip.  Brilliant.  Good work.
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

I've tested the above 'TabProcGrowth' mod in the reg, which seems to work, but kills other things (like logmein file transfer).

Excellent! This resolved my issue.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:07 PM
  • I can not believe this kind of thing is necessary for a clean install of Windows 7/IE9 ... but OMG it is!! 

Thank you so much for sharing this Callous - this fixed my problems with IE showing up blank windows everywhere no matter what I tried!

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Hi

After testing all the solutions (except für this rapair everthing tool) without success, the ieproxy.dll solved the problem on my computer ...

Thank you so much !!!, i spent the whole day looking for an answer.
    But i should not complain, looks as other useres spent much more time ....

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me..
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:16 PM