none
Allow Internet Explorer through Windows Firewall

Question

• I configured my Windows Firewall to reject all programs except the ones I allow. This works fine for browsers like Forefox.

However in case of Internet Explorer 9, I was unable to get internet access even though I set a Allow rule for iexplore.exe.

Which other programs need to be set to "Allow this connection" rule to get IE to connect?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:19 PM

Answers

• Solved the problem on my own : Allowed iexplore.exe through Windows Firewall

Seems I did it wrong the first time...

• Marked as answer by CaffeineAddic Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:04 AM

All replies

• 1. Always state your Internet Explorer version as well as your Windows version (e.g., Vista SP2; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 SP1; Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit SP1) when posting in a forum.  Please do so in your next reply.

2. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

=========================================
    You will find Consumer support for Internet Explorer in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:30 PM
  • To answer your questions, I am running a Windows 7 x32 SP1, and no, I never have installed a McAfee\Norton Product on my PC

I just need to know which exe's to allow in Windows Firewall so that IE can connect.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Please answer each of the following diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2a. Was IE9 preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?

2b. Is Windows Internet Explorer 9 listed in View installed updates? [1]

3. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Again, it doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)?

• KB2621440, KB2667402, KB2641653, KB2665364 & KB2647518;

• KB2647516, KB2654428, KB2633873; KB2631813, KB2644615, KB2584146, KB2585542, KB2656356 & KB2633171

6a. Have you ever been able to connect to the internet via IE9?

6b. Does  the computer connect to the internet via a wireless mobile (USB) modem?

6c. Is Chrome or any other alternate browser installed besides Firefox?

6d. If you click on a link on your desktop or in an email or instant message, does the linked page open in Firefox or IE9?

7. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; McAfee QuickClean; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; CCleaner)?

8. Does the computer belong to you or your employer?

==============================================
    [1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:32 AM
  • My PC is running just fine, without any AV. I know my internet is working, as I posted this message from my PC :)

And yes, Firefox, Chrome, Opera work just fine, just IE has a problem (as usual)

The problem is not with a malfunctioning PC, it is a specific technical question about IE, rather about the process in which IE connects to the internet.

Please let me know if there is any other solution than enabling all outgoing connections for Windows Firewall

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:18 PM
  • My PC is running just fine, without any AV. I know my internet is working, as I posted this message from my PC...

Internet Explorer is part & parcel of the Operating System. While you may not depend on IE, your computer does: If IE isn't working properly, Windows isn't either.

Since you don't have an anti-virus application installed and seem resistant to answering my diagnostic questions, I must assume that you're seeing the effects of a hijackware infection, possibly compounded by a W32/Alureon-variant rootkit infection.  See...

• Cleaning a Compromised System
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

Good luck!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Solved the problem on my own : Allowed iexplore.exe through Windows Firewall

Seems I did it wrong the first time...

• Marked as answer by CaffeineAddic Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Solved the problem on my own: Allowed iexplore.exe through Windows Firewall...Seems I did it wrong the first time...

When all else fails, RTFM!

Note: A computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) without a fully-functional, fully-updated anti-virus application installed!

Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:34 PM