Internet Explorer Keeps Crashing

Question

• Please help.  I've had this problem for a few months now and it is very frustrating. 

I have Windows Vista, and often while I'm using internet explorer, the brower(s) will sort of gray out and I'll get a message: "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working.  Close the Program or Check Online for a Solution and Close the Program."  It happens frequently and at different times, but it almost always happens when I have two browers open and try to close one, or when I try to submit or upload a document to a website.

The details are below:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    iexplore.exe
      Application Version:    7.0.6000.16643
      Application Timestamp:    47bce1b0
      Fault Module Name:    MFC80U.DLL
      Fault Module Version:    8.0.50727.762
      Fault Module Timestamp:    45713438
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000c33fc
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    69de
      Additional Information 2:    4fc99c6bf31132ddaf8cc9c894da892e
      Additional Information 3:    0470
      Additional Information 4:    797cde6dcd0d3007beb2f48e03151742

I've tried resetting my Internet Explorer settings (and deleted browser add-ons, and temporary files), but it didn't work.  I also uninstalled Microsoft Visual C++ because I read somewhere that my fault module name, MFC80U.DLL, was one component of that program, but it didn't work.  I have a google toolbar in Firefox (which I had to download because IE is so screwy) but none on my desktop.  And as far as I can tell (based on random Norton sweeps) I don't have any viruses.

Please help, this is so very frustrating. 

Thanks.

Claire
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:05 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• I have that same problem and the solutions have not appeared since April 7 2008.

I think the thing don't work.

No one has answered my complaint yet.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:59 PM
  • I also have a new computer that continues to have this problem, is there a fix?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:19 PM
  • I doubt that anyone has an answer because I have not read one yet.

Also now my "check for solutions " bit has stopped giving me any answers to anything.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Has anyone tried KB946627, it has proven to have some sucesss in testing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Chris,

Since that fix only states this "

APPLIES TO

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with:
        Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional "

And we are using Windows Vista then I would not reccommend trying it to fix our issue.

That does not mean it won't work?

Thank you for the info though

DS

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:55 PM
  • We have a very similar problem.  We have an HP TouchSmart PC purchased in April 2007.  For the past several months while using Explorer it crashes (blue screen) with BAD_POOL_CALLER Ox000000c2.  I am still looking for a solution.  This happens multiple times a day.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Has anyone found anything that fixes it yet?

Why does not a tech rep help us with this problem?

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  dennis sneller wrote:

Has anyone found anything that fixes it yet?

Why does not a tech rep help us with this problem?

Probably because this particular forum is not a support forum. 

Try starting a new thread, with details about the issue, in the Vista IE forum:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=715&SiteID=17

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Here is a message from that page as of today cuppie.

"

I run Vista Home

IE 7

I cannot open any https:// sites "

I get error message: Internet explorer has stopped working

Please help"

No one has answered on it either??????

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:03 AM
  • i have the same problem

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Hello everyone.im having the same problem.but i have became to learn once i downloaded service pack 3 the problems occured.mine was working fine untill that and the other updates..there having alot of problems with service pack 3..just keeping it quiet youll notice alot of..FIXES...  im going to delete it and redownload it see what happens ..and maybe delete service pack 3...but that is my conclussion one of those updates did something  !!!! steve..
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:14 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with the same details as "nodito". This problem occured after my last windows update event. i think it was Cumulative safety update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista (KB961260) OR Update for Windows Vista (KB959772) that ruined IE7. Hopefully they will fix it untill the next update but who knows??
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I just think Internet Explorer sucks... .  It keeps crashing and freezing.  I will be looking into other internet browsing tools... .  Since no one has any answer on this.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hey Guys:Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start , copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter . Change the cookie settings and have a test.

Then change your browsing to Firefox...I never had any troubles!!!...and install AVG free version from cnet. It worked for me. Hope it helps!!!..

Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:46 PM
  • simple
    just download firefox
    the solution for your problem
    in internet explorer, i sometimes visit some sites, and then it crashes...and when i use firefox it doesn't crash
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I've had the same problems as above with IE.  I've tried using Firefox (and Google Chrome) which is fine mostly, but I still get popup error messages saying that 'IE has stopped working', even though I haven't even run IE during that session!  Worse though, is that to use my microsoft small business server remote access I need ActiveX Controls for certain features.  Needless to say Firefox doesn't support ActiveX, so I'm snookered.  What's really tedious is that I have two computers, both with Vista and IE, one of which has this IE crashing problem and the other of which has worked perfectly for over two years.  very frustrating!
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:40 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as the person who after downloading IE8 (Essentials) and since there doesn't seem to be anyone with the necessary knowledge to remove this problem, then maybe it is time for us stop using that version/. I am seriously considering UN installing this thing. 

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:06 AM