Error Code. 80072EFE.

Question

•  

There's an update on my personal computer under windows update.

I can't do it because of the following error.

Error 80072EFE.

Does anybody knows why this error is coming up?

I tried to installed one time and once again and it still come the same message.

Help!!!

Thanks.

Mark's

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:25 AM

Answers

• Congratulations guys,

I finally found the solution for 80072efe error after along search...

It's something to do with the rootkit files, follow the following steps:

1) Download this file from the following link http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe .

2) Run it, follow the steps.

3) Reboot you computer...

4) check for updates ... good luck...

Note. This will fix windows defender update issue as well...

Best regards

abuadnan76

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:14 PM
  •  

Hi Mark,

I understand you receive an error message 0x80072EFE when trying to installing update from the Windows Update website. This kind of issue may be caused by hardware/software firewalls or proxy server or Windows category files are corrupted. Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue.

Step 1: Check background programs.

=======================

Disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection. The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site and I suggest you remove or disable them:

McAfee firewall

Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm Firewall

Panda firewall

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder

=======================

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update website and check the available update.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, December 21, 2007 9:42 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Mark,

I understand you receive an error message 0x80072EFE when trying to installing update from the Windows Update website. This kind of issue may be caused by hardware/software firewalls or proxy server or Windows category files are corrupted. Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue.

Step 1: Check background programs.

=======================

Disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection. The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site and I suggest you remove or disable them:

McAfee firewall

Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm Firewall

Panda firewall

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder

=======================

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update website and check the available update.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Friday, December 21, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Dear Mr. Meng.

After reading all your instructions, I followed them as stated above.

I stopped on point B. after I tried to delete Catroot2 subfolder.

There's an error that come up.

This is folder is in use.

Please Advice.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Monday, December 24, 2007 6:55 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Can you then rename the Catroot2 folder instead of deleting it then? If you still cannot rename or delete it, please reboot the computer into Safe Mode to do the renaming operation again.

How to boot into Safe Mode:

---------------------------------------------------

Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when the boot menu appears.

b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return to Normal Mode, we need to restart the computer.

Please update me with the latest result when you finished all the steps. Anything unclear, please let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Robbin Meng

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:36 AM
  • Hi there,

I am having the exact same issue as noted above, and have followed the instructions.  I started the computer in safe mode, but it will still not allow me to delete or rename the catroot2 folder.  what can i do next??

Thanks,

Stacey

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hello,

This situation rarely happens in Safe Mode. Then please try the following steps in Normal Mode(or Safe Mode) again.

Step 1: Register DLL files for Internet Explorer(IE)
    =====================================
    1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type "cmd", and then click OK.

4. Type the following commands in this window and press the "Enter" key after each one. On each pop up window, click "Ok".

regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Browseui.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll       
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 CRYPTDLG.DLL

Step 2: Rename the Catroot2 folder
    ===========================
    To resolve this issue we need to enable the Cryptographic Services, rename the Catroot2 folder and delete the WUtemp folder follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each line:
         net stop cryptsvc
         ren C:\windows\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot3  (If this does not work then use:   ren C:\winnt\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot3)
         net start cryptsvc
         exit

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Robbin Meng

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue.

I was able to rename the catroot2 file by entering safe mode but, when I rebooted the computer, it still gives me the same update error message #80072efe.

I have a new Dell XP420 running Vista Home Premium. It currently uses Norton Protection. I have tried running Update with Norton turned off, but there is no difference - same error message.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:16 PM

• All of the above posts have been very helpful.

Jgraff66, i ran into the same problem as you.. one thing i msut mention in order for everything to work, make sure your user account is set up as an admin, and not just a user or guest. hopefully that helps.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I had the same problem a short while ago. Error code 80072EFE or 80072EE2 kept showing up when I tried to find new updates. Messenger was also blacked out. After testing almost every possible MacGyver-solution given in various tech forums and never getting any positive results, I went and bought a new ethernet adapter. Man, should have tried that first.

No software tweak can fix a faulty hardware.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:14 PM
  • I have fallowed the steps. I deleated cat root 2 and still the error still coms up. Have any other advice? All my fire walls are turned off.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:45 PM
  • The process and steps went as you mentioned,   BUT it did not fix the issue, now I have one that says 80072F78

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  96111 wrote:
    The process and steps went as you mentioned,   BUT it did not fix the issue, now I have one that says 80072F78

0x80072F78: ERROR_HTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE

See:

“You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates”:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Also see this MSKB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

This the forum for Internet Explorer in Windows Vista.

For better assistance please ask for help in the Microsoft Windows Update specific newsgroup.

In your newsreader:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Via Web:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:23 AM
  • had the same problem after playing around with system services.  The update worked after I turn on the Application Layer Gateway Service.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:02 AM
  • I had the very same problem. I shut down my router and reset it. The problem went away! Give that a try......

Saturday, December 06, 2008 5:20 AM
  • I was having this same error code issue and followed your instructions. Your advice fixed my problems and I thank you for it. But i'm no computer techy myself and realize this maybe a silly question.... when I deleted the sub folder "catroot2", what exactly was I getting rid of and will it have any drastic effect on my system performance in the long run? Thanks in advance.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Thanks, Robbin.  That worked for me to stop the service and delete the folder.  I had previously tried stopping th eupdate service and deleting the software update folder contents which had worked for XP and got the same error.
    • Proposed as answer by Great_boy606 Friday, July 31, 2009 1:28 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:13 PM
  • hey any had problem with opening internet explorer and not sign in msn messenger take these steps

1.open your internet explorer

2.go to tools-->internet option-->go to tab  Connections

3.click on LAN settings

4.at Proxy server  UnTick the   Use a proxy server for your LAN

i hope this will help some one -.-

(sorry my english is not good)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:26 PM
  • 80072EFE

hey any had problem with opening internet explorer and not sign in msn messenger take these steps

1.open your internet explorer

2.go to tools-->internet option-->go to tab  Connections

3.click on LAN settings

4.at Proxy server  UnTick the   Use a proxy server for your LAN

i hope this will help some one -.-

(sorry my english is not good)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Thanks worked great!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Try Setting static IP on your PC .. It worked for me
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Where will I find the Static IP link? 
     I've looked everywhere
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:36 PM
  • This worked thanks.
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Dear mark,

I found this error code Error 80072EFE.  on Windows 2008 server. 

I just Correct the date and time setting . After that i am able to update.  U may also try that.

Thanking you.

regards

uttam 

Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:13 AM
  • did the new adapter work??
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:09 PM
  • PLZ i need help with this error everyday when i use the computer it says windows cant check for updates and when i check it says

code  80072EFE  i need help plz i am worried if my computer breakes even though it is new

Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:52 PM
  • If none of these soloution work as they didnt for me for is one more cause. A virus Download microsoft security essiantials and update run quick scan It should find a virus simply remove reboot and update windows
    • Proposed as answer by Peterbread Monday, May 24, 2010 1:18 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Hmmm. I keep getting this error too. Here is what I have found. My antivirus software (Defender Pro) finds a Generic.Malware but cannot remove it. Malewarebytes Maleware program does not find it. Spybot does not find it. The computer does not run any slower but it will NOT do Windows updates and I keep getting this error. Also, if I use a search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc) and I type in "error code 80072EFE" and click on any of the links it takes me to a bogus website/domain that is for sale. The only way I was able to end up here was to physically type in the website address. However, if I use a search engine to look up something like "amazon" it will take me there without redirecting.

I have tried numerous fixes and none of them work. I have tried this and it did not work either:

To remove Mal/Generic-A, you must first stop any Mal/Generic-A processes that are running in your computer's memory. To stop all Mal/Generic-A processes, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Windows Task Manager. Click on the "Processes" tab, search for Mal/Generic-A, then right-click it and select "End Process" key.

To delete Mal/Generic-A registry keys, open the Windows Registry Editor by clicking on the Windows "Start" button and selecting "Run." Type "regedit" into the box and click "OK." Once the Registry Editor is open, search for the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mal/Generic-A." Right-click this registry key and select "Delete."

Finally, to completely get rid of Mal/Generic-A, you must manually remove other Mal/Generic-A files. These Mal/Generic-A files can be in the form of EXE, DLL, LSP, TOOLBAR, BROWSER HIJACK, and/or BROWSER PLUGIN. For example, Mal/Generic-A might create a file like
    %PROGRAM_FILES%\Mal/Generic-A\Mal/Generic-A.exe. Locate and remove these files.

On one occasion task manager would not even open so I had to restart. When it finally was able to run I did not find any mal/Generic-A files of any kind or in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Nothing at all yet everytime I run my virus scan it finds it but cannot delete it. Still the 80072EFE comes up.

Any ideas please? Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I'm getting exactelly the same problem as you Mike. Can't update windows and im always being redirected when using any type of search engine .  Any help??
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I am still having issues. Now I am also having Windows Defender pop up the same error. I was advised to download and run HiJackThis which can be found here:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

However, this did not work either and the program is not scanning because something is blocking it. My computer seems to run fine and it does not slow down. However not being able to get any of these updates is annoying. I also posted on the Dell Forum but haven't heard anything from anyone there yet.

Mike

Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:22 PM
  • I was able to finally run HiJackThis and Malwarebytes in safe mode. It found 4 files to delete and got rid of them. However, I am still getting 80072EFE error code.

V.Ramos - D/load Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and run it in safe mode. At least it might get the Malware off your computer. I am still trying to figure out the 80072EFE error I am getting. It might be a Vista thing but I have never had problems with Vista before. I also get the same error on Windows Defender.

Friday, June 04, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Mike, I have all the same issues and am interested to know if you have made any progress.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I am having the same issues as you all are. I have updated my Microsoft Security Essentials manually with the microsoft website and did a full scan and still nothing. I have tried everything that you all have done and no luck. Anyone have any other ideas?
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Oh, and one other thing that is always happening. I will open Windows Update and I will hit check for updates and it will tell me that the process is not running and you might need to restart. Anyone else get that?
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. I haven't had a spyware problem in 4 years, but after visiting mediatakeout.com, my computer became infected. I've downloaded (with much difficulty because the spyware software was preventing me from running the install programs) spybot and ad-aware. Both found problem files, however the problem is not fixed. If I google search spyware, IE redirects to bogus websites. If anyone figures out how to fix this please post it.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:38 AM
  • I believe my problem is solved. However I owe my thanks to the fine techs on the DELL FORUM. I do not know if you can see the thread or not but take a look. Don't post there, at least in this thread. If you have questions, start your own new thread. They do have some posting rules so I would read over them before just posting a message that says "Help I am stuck!". See my thread here (if it isnt a private thread). This first link is not my first thread there I started a few. If you just clikc on the thread you may be confused as there are some posts from me that are nothing but log files.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521/t/19334835.aspx?PageIndex=1

The link above pretty much tells what you may be able to do but before you post there read this link as well:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521/t/19251122.aspx

I do not know if you have to have a dell to get help. I have a Dell. If you don;t I suggest you look on your computer manufacturers site for assistance.

Mike

PS I suggest also d/loading HiJackThis. Go here:

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

There are a LOT of steps involved to get it fixed. I am no expert, in fact I am an idiot. I am just happy the problem is gone (no thanks to the techs on this forum).

• Proposed as answer by DarkShdo Sunday, July 04, 2010 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:27 AM
  • If Malwarebyte or Hijackthis can't fix the 80072EFE error during windows (7) update, then use the following tool:

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Important:

* Disable all anti-virus/firewall progs prior to run Combofix

* Right-click on link above and "save as" to your desktop and run it from there. Run it ONLY from your desktop!!

* When combofix is completely finished  , go command prompt (admin), go to c:\.....desktop\ and then enter: combofix.exe /uninstall

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:27 PM
  • That so called fix, didnt fix the error
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Kaspersky Labs did the trick for me (Dell XPS410; Windows Vista 32-bit; IE8)...free & simple tool to scan and disinfect registry...  

How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Fought the 80072EFE error (no windows update) for two weeks...tried at least a half dozen fixes from the net including Microsoft...nothing worked...most exasperating problem I've ever encountered in 15 years of home computing...tip of hat to MikeinPCFL for pointing me to the Dell forums where I found the Kaspersky fix.

• Proposed as answer by cshecks Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:54 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Unable to get into windows update site
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Unable to get into windows update site

TRY COMBOFIX.exe !!

It fixed my problem (removed rootkit.w32)

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Important:

* Disable all anti-virus/firewall progs prior to run Combofix

* Right-click on link above and "save as" to your desktop and run it from there. Run it ONLY from your desktop-screen!!

* When combofix is completely finished  , go command prompt (admin), go to c:\.....desktop\ and then enter: combofix.exe /uninstall

Monday, June 28, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Hello Robbin,

I have done this and still get error ?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Kaspersky Labs did the trick for me (Dell XPS410; Windows Vista 32-bit; IE8)...free & simple tool to scan and disinfect registry...  

Fought the 80072EFE error (no windows update) for two weeks...tried at least a half dozen fixes from the net including Microsoft...nothing worked...most exasperating problem I've ever encountered in 15 years of home computing...tip of hat to MikeinPCFL for pointing me to the Dell forums where I found the Kaspersky fix.

I had the same error and problems as you guys - Kaspersky I owe you one, this worked. Now I can do all my updates, but i still need the corebuild.dll thingy. Oh well 1 step at a time.

I built my own comp and currently run Vista 32bit

Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hey Meng

I done what you told Mark to do but it still keeps on say that I have an error 80072EFE. So could you help me.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I got this same error code 80072efe when i was trying to install updates for my microsoft office 2007. i was able to find an update which corrected this error. the link is: Download details: Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB946691). install the update and you should have no further problems installing your other updates.

Friday, July 02, 2010 1:55 AM
  • THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! ! ! ! I have been searching for two weeks now trying to get this fixed. And, until 10 years ago I was in IT. Nothing worked until I saw your posting for the DELL post. I followed the Dell posting verbatim and - SUCCESS ! ! Windows Update now works flawlessly!
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Hi Kirstain,

Try this link http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684. Just download the file and follow the instructions.

I manage to resolve the update problem completely with this utility TDSSKiller.exe.

Monday, July 05, 2010 1:05 PM
  • WOW!! Thank you so much. I have not been able to update since May 15,2010.  Fighting the 80072efe error.  I was going to have to take my computer in to get fixed again. 2 times in 2 monthes.  This website worked!!! I am not computer savy at all, hello took me a month to figure out something was wrong.

Again, if you are having this problem  This fixed it in less than 2 min. no kidding.. best of all FREE!! 100%

http://support.kaspersky.com.viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Monday, July 05, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Thank you so very much MikeInPCFL!! My computer updates now, I had 27 updates reading and downloading as I type.  :0)
    Monday, July 05, 2010 5:34 PM
  • [It's] A virus. Download microsoft security essiantials and update run quick scan It should find a virus simply remove reboot and update windows

Thanks Peterbread.  After a day of messing around with this I came across your message.  Bingo!

To anyone who still has the problem and hasn't tried this, I strongly suggest you do what Peterbread suggested.

• Proposed as answer by Reardongalt Monday, July 05, 2010 6:46 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 6:46 PM
  • This virus blocked everything microsoft for me so I had to use the kapersky site.  Everything works great now, so I might go ahead and do the security essiantials now. thanks

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:22 PM
  • This is what worked for me. I tried everything to get rid of this error code  80072efe.I read everything i could on every site about what to do  and i tried most of the ones that sounded reasonable.

In the end i figured that the only solution i had left was to wipe my hard drive clean and start all over again .I came to this conclusion after talking to the "tech guy" at the store where i bought the computer.He told me to back up everything i wanted to save and then go ahead and do it.

So i have a 500gb external drive and i thought i would save everything to this.So a few nights ago i had some spare time ,so i thought now was the time.I started to transfer the files over to the external drive.This was taking a while so I went to bed and left it to do its thing overnight.

When i got up the next morning i went to check to see if everything was finished and there was a little pop up at the bottom of the screen saying that "windows updates were installed".This was my initial problem with the computer,I was unable to download updates for Windows and Security Essentials.

I checked and tested and everything was as it should be,and since then i have downloaded more updates.Unfortunately I dont have a logical explanation for this,it just worked out this way.You could try it,it's not complicated and wont cost you anything if you have a back up hard drive.Just thought i would let you all know what happened.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:29 PM
  • First time posting here...sorry if I am in the wrong spot. THANKS!  to all for the "kaspersky" fix mentioned above...Worked perfect. I had zero luck with the others ( malwarebytes,hijack etc) Been messn' with this  80072efe error for 7 weeks with re-directs to wrong sites after goggling and phantom web sites (my Webroot Antivirus DID detect, but could not remove)  Could not update since 5-31. Just caught up with 14 Windows updates. Again... much Thanks!
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:50 PM
  • THANK YOU!

My vista laptop has been infected for months, (80072efe update error) I had the same problems as everyone else, this solution did the job in about 4 clicks. My 13 updates that I could not upload are now uploaded and my computer is back to its best.

KASPERSKY RULES 

• Proposed as answer by philwh Monday, July 12, 2010 12:41 PM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Your steps dont work I still get the error code
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I had this 80072efe error come up when I tried downloading windows updates. I had Windows Vista Service Pack 1 installed on my computer at the time, and it was trying to download 79 important updates to no avail. So, I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 2. Once I installed it and restarted my computer, it found some more updates to download. However, this time I did not see the 80072efe error come up anymore. The updates downloaded and installed with no issues.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Congratulations guys,

1) Download this file from the following link http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe .

Best regards

abuadnan76

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I downloaded the file from the link but i doesn't work for my computer because my OS is 64bit. Is there any solution for my situation?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:47 AM
  • I had this same problem.  I had AVG antivirus installed.  I had to go to all programs, AVG free 9.0, AVG free user interface, double click for Resident Shield and un-select the Resident Shield active box.  Then go ahead and update your computer.  Go back and re-select the Resident Shield.  I hope this helps.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:31 AM
  • thankx man i click on the link above and it worked for me
    Monday, July 26, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Congratulations guys,

Best regards

abuadnan76

abuadnan76: you're a Good! Thanx! Solved! Perfect and easy!
    • Proposed as answer by Ifishmo Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Hey Y'all,

All of the other answers might have worked for others, for other issues that were causing the "unknown" error code. HOWEVER, the FIX offered by "abuadnan76" above with the link to Kaspersky at

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe 

should be your first optoin to get rid of the error that will not let you update. I tried a couple of the "answers" with the Catroot2 folder etc and they did not work, I then scrollled down saw the TDSSkiller reference and remembered I had used that before with great success (I have a PC business and fix issues like this all the time) I tried the copy I had on my "tools jump drive" on my wifes pc (the one with the issue) and it found a roorkit but couldnt kill it. I downloaded and ran the File from the link above, and booya!, we are good to go! It appears Kaspersky has updated the file since I last downloaded it. NICE WORK Kaspersky!!!

This IS the FIX, Enjoy.

Rick

Rickspcs.net

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Congratulations guys,

Best regards

abuadnan76

Just add my voice to the 'it worked for me' group.

Thank you,

dave

• Proposed as answer by getterdun66 Friday, July 30, 2010 2:39 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:04 PM
  • I just downloaded and ran the program from http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe , and after that I successfully ran Windows Updater without getting the 80072EFE error.  Thanks especially to Ljubab, who was the first to offer this as a solution.  As info, I'm running Windows 7.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Thank you so much for your fix for this thoroughly exasperating problem. Thanks also to MikienPCFL. I had tried everything over the last 2 months,and it was your solution that finally did the trick.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:56 AM
  • Hi thodoras...

Kaspersky Labs came up with TDSSKILLER utility that supports 64Bit OS too.. and now with the GUInterface. :)

Download from here.

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Cheers

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:37 PM

Thanks so much i've had this problem for a long time and Kapersky worked for me =) thanks a lot.
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:05 PM
  • If anyone is still having problems, make sure that your router isn't filtering your ActiveX.

Go to your router administration page, then security then make sure that ActiveX filtering is switched 'off'

Regards,

Pisocol.

• Edited by Pisocol Monday, August 02, 2010 1:55 PM 'cause I'ma really good speller. =P
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:54 PM
  •  

After so many and frustrating attempts this Kaspersky solution worked like a charm. Again, thank you and thank you again.
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:08 PM
  • I just want to add in my concurrence here as well.  Have been struggling for a few days trying to fix the kind of problems described here.  Tried a lot of solutions suggested on the net.  Finally ran into this thread and noted that so many folks had had success, so I figured, what the heck, might as well give it a try.  Worked like a charm.  After a very simple procedure and rebooting, I can finally get Windows downloads.  I add in my thanks to Kaspersky Labs as well.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 1:56 PM
  • allright there only one fix.. ignore the othe ones. i just fix mine with nothing else worked i downloaded the TDSSKILLER search it on google dowload the file scan,  it will fix make you reboot, then run windows updates take like 5 min it will finaly pickup and there you go !
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Congratulations guys,

1) Download this file from the following link http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe  .

Best regards

abuadnan76

Thanks worked for me to. Was looking for a long time to find help for this problem not it is fixed. THANK YOU.

Michael

Monday, August 09, 2010 12:13 PM
  • iv tried all the Kaspersky stuff you all say and its still the same outcome for me "windows could not search for new updates" and all this has just started from today
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Hi. I had the same exact problem and I did as the two below said and after that it wouldn't work and then I found a forum on here that had a post containing a link to download a Kapersky program. The program is called TDSSKiller.zip. Go to http://www.ziddu.com/download/9496873/tdsskiller.zip.html and download the program. Once downloaded open the folder and run the TDSSKiller program.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 11:38 PM
  • After trying all of the supposedly super anti-malware programs, this suggestion from Davareno fixed the problem the first time around.  I am now able to use the Windows update feature as I should!  Thanks a million!

• Proposed as answer by kelvino Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:48 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Please someone put this answer at top of page.

Everything else is pure ____.

• Proposed as answer by JDogLFC Monday, August 16, 2010 8:59 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:58 PM
  • I've had the same problem. I run vista premium home. Kept getting error msg 80072efe,also Host process not working,couldn't download windows updates. In the end I downloaded microsoft essentials,did a scan and found a virus (virus:win32/Alureon.H) Now have windows updates up & running. Worth a try,it worked for me. Good luck.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Wish I'd seen your reply earlier Peterbread. I've just done the very same and now have my updates up and running. Pity Microsoft couldn't come up with the same reply.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Davareno,

I can't thank you enough, I was skeptical that this was going to work after trying all the Windows suggestions + various ones from this forum. But sure enough the Kaspersky tool found a rootkit (rootkit.win32.tdss in fact), deleted it and upon reboot I was able to run Microsoft Update without a problem.

Anyone on this forum should really try this option first, my opinion anyway.

J

• Proposed as answer by 26charlie Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:18 AM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Worked for me as well !!!!
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Doesnt seem to work for me...none of this things work...please help.
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Kapersky worked for me.

Monday, September 06, 2010 3:42 PM
  • This problem and error code has plagued me for weeks. I tried Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, I tried Kasperskys removal tool, I tried resetting my DNS settings and nothing worked.

Thanks to the guy or girl that suggested altering settings in AVG anti-virus. I have used Avast! Anti-virus for years with no problem so it never occured to me that that could be preventing me from updating. After all I did have the Win32/Alureon.H virus and removed it so I assumed all problems were virus related.

What worked for me was temporarily turning off the Avast! behavior shield. I was then able to update with no problem. I will post tomorrow and tell whether auto update was able to proceed or if I will have to do this every time I want to update.

Robert

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:20 PM
  • THKaspersky Labs did the trick for me (Dell XPS410; Windows Vista 32-bit; IE8)...free & simple tool to scan and disinfect registry...  

This is the fix! After hours of trying to find a solution for error code 80072, this got rid of it just like that! I can update now! Thanks Davreno!
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:03 AM
  • THKaspersky Labs did the trick for me (Dell XPS410; Windows Vista 32-bit; IE8)...free & simple tool to scan and disinfect registry...  

This is the fix! After hours of trying to find a solution for error code 80072, this got rid of it just like that! I can update now! Thanks Davreno!
    Worked for me, after Spybot, Adaware and Microsoft Security essentials did not.  I also did a system restore, back to a point where things were functioning before I ran this scan.  I have been getting the same error for M'soft Defender-hope this works!  Lordy, windows sucks.  I hope the boys at Google do an OS based on Android!
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:59 AM
  • I have a problem with my windows update the last 15days.

I try  http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

but the TDSSKiller cannot cure the Rootkit.Win32.TDSS third generation (TDL3)

Shall i kill it with the Gmer ?

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:10 PM
  • KasperSky Identifies the problem but then Notron Stops it from being resolved, does anyone know how to allow KasperSky through norton...

Monday, October 04, 2010 4:36 PM
  • PerrettJ, open your Norton security center and go to the firewall. there should be a program allow list. once you find it, simply click "add" and navigate to the TDSSKiller.exe in the folder you extracted to, and tell it to allow. that should work.

also, to those who have/had the combo problem of not being able to update and having google redirecting ( in addition to this, i had random tabs and windows popping up with bogus websites as well), do you, or did you have a program in your local appdata (in a folder named a random string of numbers and letters) called fuarjyjshdw.exe? my problems started just after this unknown program tried to connect to the internet. i deleted it, but i have a suspicion that it is responsible for the rootkit infecting my computer. i searched everywhere when i had it, and couldn't find any information on it at all. my anti-virus didn't recognize it, either. since you people had/have what i had, then i thought i would ask and see if any of you had fuarjyjshdw.exe on your computer. if you do, and it is responsible for the rootkit infection, it might reinfect your computer. just saying... if you do have it, you might want to delete it.

also, thank you so very much for the link to KasperSky!! it fixed my problem, and i'm very relieved. i was planning on taking my computer in soon, because even though i knew i had a rootkit, my AVG rootkit scans couldn't find it. well, KasperSky found it right away, and it's gone now. :)

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Davareno,

I can't thank you enough, ....

Anyone on this forum should really try this option first, my opinion anyway.

J

My sentiments exactly!

Check my profile's previous posts - while it looks like obsessing, its really trying to help others with a very elegant solution - a solution that works, vs the ones that are being given the credit for solving.   There are so many duplicate threads with this same problem that the real good "fixes" wont be seen, as long as the experts wont mention it.

That can be very frustrating to someone like me that  wants to believe the expert suggestions should be tried first.    I would like to see the experts recognize how this simple to use tool has worked for so many people with this very annoying problem.   Isn't this thread a good example of that.   The trojan has alot of nasty symptoms that had been driving me to find a solution, including rendering my computer inoperative.    The least i can do is spread the word. as my way of contributing.  i cant get over how easy it was to get rid of all the problems i've had since july.  Others  should be given the path to feel as good too.

Serious question , please:   
    Is there a bias against suggesting using this tool by the resident microsoft experts - or is there a company policy to only suggest using microsoft programs and methods first, before going to a third party??    (i hope someone will answer that, so i can quit asking - thanks in advance ;) 

MW

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:36 AM
  • Thank you sooooooo much!!! I have been freaking out, but it's fixed now thanks to you.
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:13 AM

Yep! Kaspersky Labs did the trick for me as well, I disabled all firewalls and security software, did the scan and found 2 bugs that no other software could find, anyway all good now, definatelly this is the trick

Cheers,

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:21 AM
  • thank you , this realy works, now i can update my pc
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Awesome...

it works.

• Proposed as answer by arunricky Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:33 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Congratulations guys,

1) Download this file from the following link http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe  .

Best regards

abuadnan76

Friday, October 15, 2010 12:41 PM
  • ty ty ty ty ty ty.......................
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you i've been having all sorts of problems opening IE8 system crashing, windows update not running etc so I ran the link to kaspersky that you provided and it found a threat with my kernal rebooted and it's like a new pc again.

Cheers

Jamie

• Proposed as answer by Eme86 Monday, October 18, 2010 7:54 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:31 PM
  • thank you very much for a long time since I could upgrade my pc works fine now
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Abuadnan76

You Sir are a saint, i've spent hours nay days trying to sort this  Error Code. 80072EFE since june 2010!!!!!.  I've tried everything here.  The sheer frustration this has caused.  I cant thank you enough

For fellow suffers my symptoms were,

Vista would not update (brought up error code)

Java would not update

Interesting it also blocked me from certain forums, on the subject of this problem, brought up bad connection error on explorer

Regards

D.C Brannan

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Thanks , this step is resolved my computer issue and I can update my window now..

Thanks a lot again.

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Thanks , this step is resolved my computer issue and I can update my window now..

Thanks a lot again.

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:05 AM
  • thanks Adnan

Its really worth. I appreciate it. Cheer!!!!

Regards

Sarder

Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Fix confirmed. I had tried every available solution offered by Microsoft and elsewhere and sure enough it was tdss on the mbr which no other scan had revealed.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Thank you so much for this link, I've had this problem for a month and that TDS killer found the problem and deleted it and once I restarted I can use Windows Update again. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I've had the very same update problem with Win 7. Upon doing a search and finding this thread, my update problem has been solved. Not only that, but I had multi-tasking issues as well. Thanks, abuadnan76! I'm forever grateful!
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:07 AM
  • THANK YOU !!!!!!   I've tried everything I can find for about a month this is the only thing that worked!
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, this has been a problem for the past week. tried dozens of fixes. thanks kaspersky, norton & many others failed. my computer is updating as it should....... i hope.
    • Proposed as answer by el-way Friday, November 05, 2010 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I had the same problems (and I think many other ones) on my computer as well as the same error message.  After trying various things to resolve the issue, I switched out my router.  Problem solved!  I don't know if routers can get viruses, but ALL of the problems went away with the new router.

Friday, November 05, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Thanks to all on the 80072efe error fix using  tdsskiller.exe.

this help me and impressed me enough to join this form my first one.

thanks again

kena1

Friday, November 05, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Thanks so much Abu I tried what you recommended and it worked, Your a lifesaver dont know what i would have done otherwise :)
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:31 AM
  • Thanks so much Abu I tried what you recommended and it worked, Your a lifesaver dont know what i would have done otherwise :)

Thanks, it worked for me as well. I've been looking for a solution for 4 days.
    Vern Thomson
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Never new it could be this easy, thanks it work beautifully!
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:43 PM
  • ((Congratulations guys,

Best regards

abuadnan76))

Hoorray !!! Grand success ! Thanks for the solution.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:58 AM
  • The Kaspersky util tdsskiller worked for me too. Thanks to all for posting for the link.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:22 PM

^^ THIS ^^

+

Deleting the CatRoot2 subfolder resolved this issue for me.  But, now I'm experiencing problems with scripts on some pages.  Def the lesser problem, but one that does impinge on my browsing experience.

Friday, November 19, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Thanks abuadnan76. And thank you microsoft for this site.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Thank you so much. This worked for me.After removing the malware I was able to update my ssp2.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hey Thanks!!!!! It works Great.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:01 AM
  • I, too, have the 80072EFE error when attempting to update Windows Defender and when running Microsoft Update.

I followed the link listed above (Kaspersky).  It detected a rootkit.

When I rebooted (at the TDSS scanners suggestion), my system became unstable and Windows did Start-Up Repair before I could re-start.

Once restarted, I continue to have the same problem.

Any ideas?

I'm running Windows Vista Basic - 32 bit, and using Internet Explorer.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:16 PM
  • hi i downloaded this link and did everything and rebooted my computer but now i have a blue screen upon rebooting and the system jusr reboots and does the same thing. i tried the f8 method for repairing my computer but this did not work. I dont even have my desktop in nsafe mode. Can sum1 help please.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hi abuadnan76

The program http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

worked like a charm for Error 80072EFE. I thank you very much now I can do my updates perfectly.

Jmezaglez

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:23 AM