none
Internet Explorer no longer working after windows update and automatic restart.

Question

• Windows did an automatic update last night with automatic restart.  Now two of my laptops will not open internet expolrer.  Both are Toshiba and running Vista.  The error message says the standard "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.".  In the adress pbar at the dop it displays the following: res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#.  Any thoughts on how to resolve. 
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

• Windows version? Internet Explorer version?

Please follow carefully all the steps here (IE7 and IE8 in Windows Vista):
    "Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer".

IE8 in Windows 7:
    "Open the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter".

"Internet Explorer freezes or crashes".
    Automatically diagnose and identify browser add-ons that may cause Internet Explorer to become unstable, to crash, or to stop responding. Browser add-ons may include tools, toolbars, assistants, and toys.

IE in Windows XP:
    "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts".
    "Web sites do not display or work correctly, or Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts".

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:37 PM
  • The error message says the standard "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

The symptom means the browser crashed.   You could get more details about the crash, e.g. the crash location from the Event log (e.g. Windows Applications).  Unfortunately, the crash location is only part of the story and often you need at least a Stack Back Trace of that event.  We used to be able to get such a diagnostic from drwtsn32.log but now you would need to change your dump options, get a dump and use a dump formatter to see the same information.  Progress?   ; }

If the crash is reproducible but you can avoid it by disabling Add-ons you could try inferring which add-on needs to be disabled or removed for a more permanent solution.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:02 PM
  • I've been dealing with this problem the past few days as well.  I don't know what update it is specifically causing the problem but do this to fix the computers having the issue:

1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows.
    2. Click Start
      Collapse this image Expand this image
      Start button
      , and then click Control Panel .
    3. In Control Panel, open Internet Options .
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset .
    5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset .
    6. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close , and then click OK two times.
    7. Close Internet Explorer, and then reopen it. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer.

Here's the article I found covering the issue from MS.  They're probably not saying anything because this fix has been out for a while.  But as of right now I count 38 computers I've had to do this on in the past few days.  All of them running Windows XP with IE 7 or 8 and all of them had Windows update run before the problem occurred.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896

• Edited by Joe Hinkle Friday, December 17, 2010 6:35 PM added more detail
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:19 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Is Yahoo Toolbar installed?
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

See http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/dd948e16-b74d-4e9c-a0fc-26814508a9ca

...and/or http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/toolbar/basics/toolbarms-01.html

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:21 AM

All replies

• Windows version? Internet Explorer version?

Please follow carefully all the steps here (IE7 and IE8 in Windows Vista):

IE8 in Windows 7:
    "Open the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter".

"Internet Explorer freezes or crashes".
    Automatically diagnose and identify browser add-ons that may cause Internet Explorer to become unstable, to crash, or to stop responding. Browser add-ons may include tools, toolbars, assistants, and toys.

IE in Windows XP:
    "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts".
    "Web sites do not display or work correctly, or Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts".

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:37 PM
  • The error message says the standard "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

The symptom means the browser crashed.   You could get more details about the crash, e.g. the crash location from the Event log (e.g. Windows Applications).  Unfortunately, the crash location is only part of the story and often you need at least a Stack Back Trace of that event.  We used to be able to get such a diagnostic from drwtsn32.log but now you would need to change your dump options, get a dump and use a dump formatter to see the same information.  Progress?   ; }

If the crash is reproducible but you can avoid it by disabling Add-ons you could try inferring which add-on needs to be disabled or removed for a more permanent solution.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:02 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I've been dealing with this problem the past few days as well.  I don't know what update it is specifically causing the problem but do this to fix the computers having the issue:

1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows.
    2. Click Start
      Collapse this image Expand this image
      Start button
      , and then click Control Panel .
    3. In Control Panel, open Internet Options .
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset .
    5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset .
    6. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close , and then click OK two times.
    7. Close Internet Explorer, and then reopen it. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer.

Here's the article I found covering the issue from MS.  They're probably not saying anything because this fix has been out for a while.  But as of right now I count 38 computers I've had to do this on in the past few days.  All of them running Windows XP with IE 7 or 8 and all of them had Windows update run before the problem occurred.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896

• Edited by Joe Hinkle Friday, December 17, 2010 6:35 PM added more detail
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:19 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:57 PM

See http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/dd948e16-b74d-4e9c-a0fc-26814508a9ca

...and/or http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/toolbar/basics/toolbarms-01.html

Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Hi Carl:  I have had the same problem. We are not alone.  I had to go to my restore point to recover my internet connection.  I have two tool bars that may cause a problem.  Google and AVG toolbars.  I believe the Google bar is not compatible with Exporer 9.  Please let us know if this is the cause of the problem.   If you choose to disable Google tool bar, Explorer 9 should work in Vista.   Marc32235
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:42 PM