none
Install IE 10 32-bit on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

Question

• Hi

On Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, it is still possible to install and use IE 10 32-bit? If so, how do I install it?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

• Edited by balubeto Monday, April 01, 2013 4:58 PM
    Monday, April 01, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is a quote to explain this in IE blog for your reference:

For IE10, we’ve changed IE such that Manager Processes always run as 64bit processes when running on a 64bit processor running a 64bit version of Windows. This improves security among other things. We do not expect that this change will meaningfully impact compatibility, because the Manager Process is designed not to run 3rd party content, and thus there’s little opportunity for anyone to take a dependency upon the Frame Process’ bitness. In support of this change, the various registry points that point to Internet Explorer have been updated to point to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. If you manually invoke C:\Program Files(x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, that 32bit process will simply launch the 64bit version of iexplore.exe (with the appropriate command line parameters) before exiting.

So, whether you start IE10 32/64bit, the iexplore.exe will launch for both 32bit and 64bit.

More information:

Understanding Enhanced Protected Mode

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:26 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can install IE 10 32-bit on a 64-bit machine. You can get it here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages.

Cheers!

Monday, April 01, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Yes, you can install IE 10 32-bit on a 64-bit machine. You can get it here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages.

Cheers!

So, you could explain one thing:

If I upd
    ate Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with IE 9.x 32/64 bit by the Windows Update service downloading IE 10, why the 32-bit version of IE 10 is not automatically updated, and, in addition, the 32-bit version of IE 9.x disappears from the hard disk?

In other words, finished the update, on the computer I have only the 64-bit version of IE and not both. How come?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

• Edited by balubeto Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Here is a quote to explain this in IE blog for your reference:

For IE10, we’ve changed IE such that Manager Processes always run as 64bit processes when running on a 64bit processor running a 64bit version of Windows. This improves security among other things. We do not expect that this change will meaningfully impact compatibility, because the Manager Process is designed not to run 3rd party content, and thus there’s little opportunity for anyone to take a dependency upon the Frame Process’ bitness. In support of this change, the various registry points that point to Internet Explorer have been updated to point to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. If you manually invoke C:\Program Files(x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, that 32bit process will simply launch the 64bit version of iexplore.exe (with the appropriate command line parameters) before exiting.

So, whether you start IE10 32/64bit, the iexplore.exe will launch for both 32bit and 64bit.

More information:

Understanding Enhanced Protected Mode

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

I recently upgraded to IE 10 after a disastrous begging where every thing was wrong. I presume MS fixed the bugs. My question is concerning various PDF readers were I noticed that they don't open due to Enhanced Protected Mode which according to various articles that's the way to implement IE 10 64 bit. Is a fix on the way or do you have any suggestions. Also, is there a reason why one can't use a PDF reader Adobe or Nitro in a separate pop up window like in IE 9.

Sincerely,

Friday, June 07, 2013 4:30 PM
  • In our company we have an application which runs an .asp which requires 32bit iexplorer.

After upgrading to IE10 this is broken.

As it is a legacy application from an external company taking away 32 iexplorer killed our ability to use the app.

Well done microsoft.

With ie9 I could have 32 and 64 bit IE in parallel on a 64 bit system and it was no problem to run the legacy app.

Although it may be a security issue I think the final decision to use a legacy app should always be in the hands of the user and not enforced by microsoft.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:13 AM
  • have you got enhanced protected mode turned on or off?

My understanding was that if this was off it ran at 32bit anyway.

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:53 AM
  • I need to access a government site and they do not allow me to do my work if I use a 64 bit browser

I used to use IE 9 32 bits with no problems.  But suddenly, the 32 bits browser was shutting itself off every time I tried to open it

So I downloaded the IE 10 version

And, as described above, no where to find the 32 bits version

And the government site tells me that I use the 64 bits version so cannot access it.

I tried to go to the site mentioned above  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages.

but got an error.

Checked the "Enhanced protected mode"  and it is OFF (not ticked)

I need to download and install the 32 bits version.

Please provide detailed process

Saturday, December 07, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Checked the "Enhanced protected mode"  and it is OFF (not ticked)

Check to see if your "government site" is represented by the domain names in  IECompatData.xml.   I just found out that even if  EPM  is off we can still get 64-bit mode tab tasks.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/issues-with-internet-explorer-11-not-saving/0740cfd5-e456-48f8-9a28-b89bed5fffa9?page=2#LastReply 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:10 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not an IT  expert and I have no idea of what you are talking about

ALl what I'm tying to do is to have a 32 bits browser as it seems that not all sites accept the 64 bits

Tried to copy the link of the site here but says cannot do that

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:15 AM