none
What has happened to my.msn.com?

Question

• How do we get someone at Microsoft to answer this question. Like another victim in the military who has registered his frustration, I am no longer able to access the my.msn.com web site. My wife and I have been using this page long term as our home page on our three computers, and I DO NOT like the msn live page. What has happened to my.msn.com???
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• Personally & professionally speaking, I think you'd be much better off posting in the Consumer support forum for further assistance: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

Good luck.

PS: Uninstalling/reinstalling IE9 (whatever your Windows version may be) isn't likely to resolve any ongoing problems.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:37 AM

All replies

• I agree - can't figure out what happened to it. I really like that interface customized as my home page - hope they fix it soon!
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:41 PM
  • <QP>
    My MSN version 10

To enrich your user experience through new features, functionality and design, MSN is currently migrating all existing My MSN users to the new My MSN.  An earlier phase of this migration allowed users to try the new My MSN in a beta form while returning to their original My MSN page if they so chose.  However, production has recently progressed to the point where we are now able to release the latest My MSN to all of our users.  As a result, current My MSN users will, over the coming weeks, be migrated to the new My MSN permanently.
    </QP>
    Source & much more: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/131c9f34-5aec-4e5c-aa1e-7c962e9750de

MSN Solution Center
    (Registration required; MSN Premium subscribers only)
    http://answers.msn.com/

How to contact MSN Customer Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940784

MSN (msn.com) Feedback
    https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/o.asp?ID=WpkpVtTB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:38 PM
  • This is fine, but what do I do in the meantime?  And when will I know when the migration has occurred as far as I'm concerned?
    • Proposed as answer by MickeyThompson Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:22 PM
  • microsoft dumped everybody time to dump microsoft
    Hobbyest
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:09 PM
  • I just want to say that it is really great how MSN is handling this migration. Daily e-mails updating us to what stage the migration has gotten to as well as constant updates on when our MSN home pages will be restored with topical information on all the new features.

Oh wait a minute they have not done ANY of that.

The truth is I had to perform a dozen different searches using assorted terminology to just find this page. Either everyone has been migrated except a few of us or no one has noticed the outage. I get the impression that we who have posted on this board may be the last remaining few who even use and appreciate our MSN home pages. I miss my news and weather being provided on that tidy home page but I guess I can get it elsewhere. It's sad that MSN has not only failed to be proactive about this but has actually made it very difficult for regular loyal users to comment.

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:56 AM
  • I get the impression that we who have posted on this board may be the last remaining few who even use and appreciate our MSN home pages.

A more accurate impression would be that you are posting in an off-topic thread in an inappropriate forum.   If you have some specific symptoms regarding IE9 you might get some help here or in the Answers forum for IE for their diagnostic interest.   Otherwise try to find a forum which supports your web app and its apparent connectivity issues.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:12 PM
  • I only use IE 9 , although I don't think this issue is symptomatic of IE 9 problems, of which I have none. Been an IE user since the last millenia and am still a fan.

I did not start this thread I only posted to it because it is the only information I have seen anywhere addressing the MSN "outage/connectivity" issues. The dearth of complaints about MSN home pages being down tells me that either A - No one else is having problems ,  B- No one is complaining because no one uses it anymore , C- No one is complaining because they can't acess any place to complain to MSN about the outage.

Anywho , when I launched IE9 this morning it opened the MSN main page although the My MSN is still unavailable. Haven't done anything on my end but something changed somewhere. It's a start at least.

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:41 PM
  • I did not start this thread I only posted to it because it is the only information I have seen anywhere addressing the MSN "outage/connectivity" issues. The dearth of complaints about MSN home pages being down tells me that either A - No one else is having problems ,  B- No one is complaining because no one uses it anymore , C- No one is complaining because they can't acess any place to complain to MSN about the outage.

How about  D -  most others have seen notices such as the yellow bar at the top of the page PA Bear referenced (which might be even more useful for paid subscribers) and are waiting?

<quote background-color="yellow">

my.msn.com is currently experiencing technical difficulties. You may receive errors such as "Page Cannot be Displayed" or the page loads very slowly when attempting to view the site. This message will be removed when the issue has been resolved. Please check back after some time.

</quote>

BTW what is your symptom exactly?   FWIW  I had no trouble opening this

http://my.msn.com/

but I suspect my current Live ID may have been involved in getting there because there was a redirect to  login.live.com.   In fact, I can confirm that speculation by trying it again with InPrivate Browsing mode (e.g. press Ctrl-Shift-P) and then get stuck at a "sign-up" page.   YMMV.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Okay my sole problem was signing into "my msn". When I tried I was taken to a screen that said I needed a "live account" despite the fact that I was able to sign into my "live" account with no problems, any time I clicked the link in the screen that told me I needed a "live" account the only thing that happened was a page refresh, returning me to the same screen.

I followed the instructions in one of the links PABear provided. Not only did this not solve the problem but it erased all my sign in data for every web site I participate in including forums and Netflix and Hulu etc. So I spent some time signing back into my various hobby forums and what not although for whatever reason IE9 refuses to allow me to sign into CNN or MSNBC (NewsVine) and a few other forum/chat sites. Firefox and Opera both allow me to do so. Some sort of setting I'm missing ?

Interestingly enough when I saw your reference to InPrivate Browsing I gave that a try (I'd never used it before for anything) and amazingly enough that DID permit me to sign into My MSN, so that bit is now thankfully resolved (I won't even dare to wager a guess why that tactic worked for me and not you). Although the sites mentioned in the above paragraph are still unavailable, whenever I try to sign into them IE9 merely refreshes the page. I'll figure it out....eventually.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:09 AM
  • I followed the instructions in one of the links PABear provided...

What instructions in which link?

You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer (not MSN or My MSN) in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

Otherwise, see...

MSN Solution Center
    (Registration required; MSN Premium subscribers only!)

How to contact MSN Customer Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940784

MSN (msn.com) Feedback
    https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/o.asp?ID=WpkpVtTB 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:30 AM
  • PA Bear it was the link that refererred to Deleting Browsing History and unchecking the Preserve Favorite Website Data box. I think it was the top link in your post that lead to the thread mentioning that. I knew the result would be deleting my sign-in information for many sites and went ahead anyhow.

It's possible that action combined with the use of In Private browsing is what solved my original problem. I have been able to sign-in to 90% of my frequented sites and those are all functioning normally. There are a few sites that refuse to accept my sign-in information for whatever reason although they do function through both Firefox and Opera.

I have uninstalled IE9 and that did not rectify the issue, I am going to reinstall it today after running a full MSE scan.

The problem is definitely within Internet Explorer, but I do not think it is anything to do with programming. I think there is just some setting somewhere that I have made and don't know what I did to now undo it.

It is merely an inconvenience now and it will get solved.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Personally & professionally speaking, I think you'd be much better off posting in the Consumer support forum for further assistance: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

Good luck.

PS: Uninstalling/reinstalling IE9 (whatever your Windows version may be) isn't likely to resolve any ongoing problems.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:37 AM
  • I get the impression that we who have posted on this board may be the last remaining few who even use and appreciate our MSN home pages.

A more accurate impression would be that you are posting in an off-topic thread in an inappropriate forum.   If you have some specific symptoms regarding IE9 you might get some help here or in the Answers forum for IE for their diagnostic interest.   Otherwise try to find a forum which supports your web app and its apparent connectivity issues.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

How about  D -  most others have seen notices such as the yellow bar at the top of the page PA Bear referenced (which might be even more useful for paid subscribers) and are waiting?

<quote background-color="yellow">

my.msn.com is currently experiencing technical difficulties. You may receive errors such as "Page Cannot be Displayed" or the page loads very slowly when attempting to view the site. This message will be removed when the issue has been resolved. Please check back after some time.

</quote>

BTW what is your symptom exactly?   FWIW  I had no trouble opening this

but I suspect my current Live ID may have been involved in getting there because there was a redirect to  login.live.com.   In fact, I can confirm that speculation by trying it again with InPrivate Browsing mode (e.g. press Ctrl-Shift-P) and then get stuck at a "sign-up" page.   YMMV.

HTH

Robert
    ---

How about the fact that it is NOT a symptom of IE9 and not everyone got a yellow bar message alerting us to coming changes as some of us use Firefox and have msn as our home page.  This is the most retarded website page change I have EVER seen from ANY webpage!!!!!!  I'm not even talking about layout, format, design, aesthetics, or any of that as I have not even checked out the new page yet.  The reason I say it's the most retarded changed ever is purely the fact of trying to get to it!  I open firefox, my homepage, msn, and it's blank....refresh, still blank, go to other sites, they are there, click "home", blank, type in bingdotcom in the address bar, get bing type msn, click msn at top of search, BLANK!  Go to hotmail, sign in, see emails, click home, BLANK.  Search bing, " what happened to msn?" get this forum as top search, see some stuff that really don't get me to msn, go back to Bing, type msn, click a lower search that says my msn or something, FINALLY get msn to show up.  Using firefox I never got a message that msn would be changing/moving!  Any other website moves and when you type in the original address 1 of 2 things happens, either you get redirected with no message and it takes you a while to see the site address change only because you looked at the address bar, or you get "The site has moved to _______.com if you are not automatically redirected click here!  WTF Microsoft?  The biggest software company there is and they don't make it easy to get to their new msn.  Why did I have to search to find your new msn.  I should have been able to type msndotcom in my frickin address bar and be taken where ever your new site is, or at minimum been frickin told you moved regardless if i'm using IE or FF or any other browser.   Out of all the changes this one dissapoints me most and I haven't even checked out the new "format" yet!

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:06 AM
  • You could simply delete your browser history,

Hold the Alt key down and type these letters TD, (or Gear symbol on the top right/ Internet options/ Delete button)

Check All of the boxes and Uncheck the very top box,

Click on Delete.

Close ie,

Reset ie9 or ie10 manually,

Click the Start button on the Taskbar,

Click on Control panel,

Click on Internet options,

Go to the Advanced section,

Click on Reset button on the bottom,

Check the box to Delete personal settings,

Use the recommended setup and install options.

Shut down your machine.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:05 PM