none
how do i remove internet explorer add ons?

Answers

• Hi,

You may take the following steps to remove Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 8 add-ons:

1.       Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2.       Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3.       Under Show, click Downloaded controls to display all ActiveX controls.

4.       Click the ActiveX control you want to delete, and then click More information.

5.       In the More Information dialog box, click Remove. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6.       Repeat steps 4 and 5 for every control you want to delete. When you are finished, click Close.

Please refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-add-ons-frequently-asked-questions

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 08, 2011 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may take the following steps to remove Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 8 add-ons:

1.       Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2.       Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3.       Under Show, click Downloaded controls to display all ActiveX controls.

4.       Click the ActiveX control you want to delete, and then click More information.

5.       In the More Information dialog box, click Remove. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6.       Repeat steps 4 and 5 for every control you want to delete. When you are finished, click Close.

Please refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-add-ons-frequently-asked-questions

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 08, 2011 5:31 AM
  • What if the Remove button is grayed out?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:58 AM
  • means microsoft still owns you
    so move on to Firefox
    show them who's boss
    after all these years you still can't uninstall internet explorer
    microsoft will never learn
    Friday, March 02, 2012 7:39 PM
  • I was wondering about a method a typical user could use.

I think you right. But, in general, I refuse to play along when I can. And I do use Firefox for the most part.

I know enough about Windows and the registry to rip some things out by the b**ls if needed.

Friday, March 02, 2012 10:46 PM

1. Run Registry Editor

2. Goto the following paths which contain all your IE Add-ons:

"Browser Extension" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions"

"Browser Helper Object" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects"

3. Copy the Class ID of the Add-ons that you wish to remove, eg: {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} then delete it

4. Find the Class ID you copied in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" and delete it too.

• Edited by N-Y-M Friday, March 16, 2012 3:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DocBrown Friday, March 16, 2012 8:16 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Wow. This procedure is definitely not a method that the average users could be expected to do. I found that there are still the dlls and executibles to deal with. I also found that I needed to scour the class IDs and subkeys to find the locations of the executables and dlls associated with the addons. Then I could delete those files as well.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:11 AM
  • A little easier than diving into the registry is Trend Micro's HijackThis. After a scan (it literally takes seconds), just compare the results with IE's addons and tick the items that need to be removed.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Excuse me, what's Registry Editor?

Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:01 AM
  • Excuse me, what's Registry Editor?

Window's built in tool: regedit.exe. You get to it by typing that into the search field in the start menu.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 10:12 PM

1. Run Registry Editor

2. Goto the following paths which contain all your IE Add-ons:

"Browser Extension" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions"

"Browser Helper Object" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects"

3. Copy the Class ID of the Add-ons that you wish to remove, eg: {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} then delete it

4. Find the Class ID you copied in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" and delete it too.

Hi, N-Y-M, thank you so much for your help!

Anyway, I can't believe Microsoft keeps making it so hard for users to get rid of sh... er, garbage like Montera Technologies Ltd or Funmoods add-ons. The Registry Editor is not supposed to be a tool for end users to deal with. MS should NOT allow add-ons to self-install without the user knowing, and it should NOT allow add-ons to prevent users from removing them.

One more thing: I can't find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions" or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects" in my RegEdit. I can find both paths, except for the last nodes ("Extensions" and "Browser Helper Objects"). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:46 PM
  • Also, check the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects

This is where I found some of my add-ons. My system is on Windows 7 x64.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:48 PM
  • We already pay Microsoft for their Operating Systems and it's mystifying to me how they can force us to have something like internet explorer on our computers. Through all my years with both XP and Vista, I've never used it, at first simply because I didn't -- and don't -- like the format, but on top of that, IE gives me nothing but problems. Sometimes, it just pops up on its own and starts looping so that I have to do a restart, even though I wasn't even using it. For a long time, whenever I clicked on articles on my AOL Welcome Page, the article would come up and then be overridden by a message that "IE Cannot Open the Webpage". Lately, when I logon to AOL, as soon as my Welcome Page comes up, I get that same extremely annoying message. I have used Firefox for years and barely even use my AOL browser, all because of this piece of useless junk. Get real, MS, and let us uninstall IE so we can move on with browsers that DO work!
    Monday, October 08, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Hey DocBrown: Why are you going to such lengths to try to delete parts of internet explorer? Are they giving you problems even when you aren't using IE? Or are you still using IE at all? If so, I would just ignore IE and use Firefox instead. Who wants to use a browser that makes you work for it instead of it working for you??
    Monday, October 08, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hey DocBrown: Why are you going to such lengths to try to delete parts of internet explorer? Are they giving you problems even when you aren't using IE? Or are you still using IE at all? If so, I would just ignore IE and use Firefox instead. Who wants to use a browser that makes you work for it instead of it working for you??

I know, I could just ignore it or disable it, but I try to remove things from my system that I don't want there. I still have several things installed of questionable value that I should remove. Many of these 'useful' tools load on startup and that just slows down the boot process for no real benefit. For those tools I want, I disable the loading in msconfig, or delete the 'run' entry from the registry or Start menu folder.

I almost always use FF. But there are a few sites, like some MS sites, that are coded to only work with IE. And there was a toolbar that got installed despite my diligent efforts to avoid that. For example, Adobe Flash Player tries to get you to install extra tools when you update the player. You have to deselect the option on the update page. If you don't see that, WHAM, you have an extra toolbar installed that can't be easily removed. If these tools are running, some of them 'phone home' and I have no way of knowing what they're sending.

Monday, October 08, 2012 4:50 PM

use the control panel... uninstall programs section.. look up the name of the add on u wish to remove
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Shearer Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:41 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 8:18 AM
  • 1.controle panel... 2.uninstall programs.... 3. look up the add on you wish to uninstall and hope its on there.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 8:20 AM
  • controle panel worked for me... uninstall it from there
    Monday, December 10, 2012 8:21 AM
  • controle panel worked for me... uninstall it from there
    Monday, December 10, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Hi where would I find the registry entries for sharepoint foundation support for lync basic 2013,

so i can remove them and repair office 2010,

Thanks

Glen

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:06 AM
  • I tried that and the Remove option tab in More Information will not highlight - can't use it. I checked the Active X Filtering option under tools and then unchecked it but it still won't work. It's driving me nuts!  :(
    Monday, July 01, 2013 11:48 PM
  • EVERY items has a grayed out REMOVE button. Therefore, these instructions do not work as I cannot remove add-ons using them.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:49 PM
  • And just how does one find the Class ID? This answer is incomplete and does not help.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:52 PM
  • As stated in N-Y-M's reply from March 16,2012, run regedit.exe and navigate to the following paths:

The data in the keys in these paths can be used to identify the addons. The Class ID is the name of the key immediately under the 'Extensions' or 'Browser Helper Opjects' keys. For example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a}. The number in braces is the Class ID.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:39 AM
  • worked for me... deleted at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Thanks JohnEd

• Edited by AmitOp Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:01 PM
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:00 PM