I get error message: Internet explorer has stopped working

Please help

Monday, August 27, 2007 7:57 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem

• Proposed as answer by KAUSAR SHAHID Monday, October 11, 2010 11:31 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2007 1:06 PM
  •  

Same problem here. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:07 PM
  •  

I have a similar problem too.  My internet explorer would open and it would work, but then when I close the window, a box pops up saying, "Internet Explorer is Not Working..."  then it scans and then says, "Internet Explorer is Looking for a Solution..."  "Internet Explorer is Now Restarting..."  and then, when I cancell the restart, it goes to, "Runtime Error 216 at 039xxxxx (in which the "X" are always replaced by different numbers.)  Is this a virus, or what the heck is going on?
    • Proposed as answer by KAUSAR SHAHID Monday, October 11, 2010 11:31 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2008 6:45 AM
  •  Nou Xiong wrote:

I have a similar problem too.  My internet explorer would open and it would work, but then when I close the window, a box pops up saying, "Internet Explorer is Not Working..."  then it scans and then says, "Internet Explorer is Looking for a Solution..."  "Internet Explorer is Now Restarting..."  and then, when I cancell the restart, it goes to, "Runtime Error 216 at 039xxxxx (in which the "X" are always replaced by different numbers.)  Is this a virus, or what the heck is going on? and my computer is brand new i just took out from box.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Did you resolve your issue?  I am having the same problem.  It is driving me crazy.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:22 AM
  •  Demille wrote:
    Did you resolve your issue?  I am having the same problem.  It is driving me crazy.

I ended up reinstalling it and it stopped doing it.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:03 AM
  • same problem here help please

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:06 AM
  • error message: internet explorer cannot find this site (in fact any site)  please help.

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Please tell me you found a solution. thats exactly what mine is doing. can u help me?

• Proposed as answer by KAUSAR SHAHID Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:09 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  

I  have Windows Vista, and often while I'm using internet explorer, the brower(s) will sort of gray out and I'll get a message: "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working.  Close the Program or Check Online for a Solution and Close the Program."  It happens frequently and at different times, but it almost always happens when I have two browers open and try to close one, or when I try to submit or upload a document to a website.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I have searched but cannot find where to even download to re-install.
    Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

When I click on the X to close IE I often get the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working ...."

It happens more often when I have multple tabs open (i think)

-Mike

Vista SP1

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:17 PM
  •  

Why does not windows answer these questions?

I have had this for at least a year.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:44 PM
  • This issue and many other issues regarding internet explorer are caused by bad registry settings.

In a couple of words for those who don't know much computers - the registry is the database of all of the applications of windows.

Internet explorer is just another application amongst many inside windows operating system....

Try running a registry cleaner to fix\clean up your registry.

Start with a program like CCleaner which is completely free - though it won't give you guarantees since it is free. If that doesn't work try out the one I'm using - RegistryCleaner.

Monday, November 17, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  I had a similar problem too, and few more errors like "error msg 0x10e0"  after checking it for long time i found the solution.

first you should scan your pc for viruses with good anti virus soft - i use nod32, then you should run a good registry cleaner i use Ms-errors software.
    Ms-errors is the only one that work and fix all my errors and problem.
    i tried ccleaner, regcure,regfix and few more they did good job but didn't clean my all errors.
    good luck
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"?  Read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Hello,
    Brainhol your post was very helpful.
    i used the Ms-error you recommended it it did my pc just like a new one, fast and no more errors popup
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Brainhol, Jacki Tnx for your suggestion.
    My laptop is working perfect now.
    Tnx

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:35 PM
  •  

Same problem here. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:46 AM

• Proposed as answer by KAUSAR SHAHID Monday, October 11, 2010 11:39 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 11:38 PM

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:39 PM
  • This may help found it on another forum

Steven - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support, Moderator

Hello everyone,

Let’s take a look at what could be causing Internet Explorer to be giving you these messages. First step will be to reset Internet Explorer, you can do this by:

·         Close any Internet Explorer windows

·         Click Start

·         Click Control Panel

·         Open Internet Options (you may have to switch from category view to icons to find this)

·         Click the Advanced tab

·         Click Reset…

·         Click Reset

·         Click Close

·         Click OK

·         Open Internet Explorer

If you are still having problems, then next thing to look at would be another program causing a conflict with Internet Explorer. You can test this by doing a clean boot: (if you have Windows Explorer crashes, test these with a  clean boot as well)

·         Click Start

·         Type msconfig into the search field (if using Windows XP you will need to click Run… then type in msconfig)

·         Press Enter on your keyboard

·         Click Continue on the User Account Control (If prompted)

·         Click Selective startup

·         Uncheck Load startup items

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Click Disable all

·         Click OK

·         Click Restart Now

Once your computer has finished restarting, test to see if you still get the same error in Internet Explorer. If not then you just have to identify which service/startup item was causing the problem.

·         Click Start

·         Type msconfig into the search field (if using Windows XP you will need to click Run… then type in msconfig)

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes

·         Click OK

Once your computer has restarted, again test to see if the problem is still gone. If so, then the services you enabled are good to stay. Repeat the enabling process for half of the remaining disabled services and continue this process until the problem returns or all services are enabled. If the problem returns then you will need to test the last batch of services you enabled one by one to find which was causing the problem to occur.

If you enable all services and the problem still hasn’t returned:

·         Click Start

·         Click the Startup tab

·         Check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes

·         Click OK

Follow the same process as before, with testing after each restart. If the problem hasn’t returned, go back and enable half of the remaining list of startup items and continue the process until the problem has returned. Then you will need to test the last batch of startup items you enabled one by one to find which causes the problem to occur.

Once you have identified which service/startup item causes the problem in Internet Explorer you will need to either disable/uninstall/update the program to avoid further problems.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven - Support EngineerMicrosoft Support, ModeratorWednesday, December 16, 2009 9:58 PM

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:41 PM
  • thanks Fenway 5.  Im not a big Fenway fan, but your answer worked perfectly.  Thanks again

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:26 PM