none
Installing Internet Explorer 8 on a Windows 7 computer.

Question

• My company just got a new Windows 7 64 bit laptop that came with Internet Explorer 9. We need to have Internet Explorer 8 installed on the computer for certain processes we run. I looked online and can't find a IE8 install for windows 7. We have a few Windows 7 32 bit computers we got before IE 9 came out that have IE8 pre-installed on them so I know that IE8 works on Win 7. All the versions I have found will give me an error on install like, "Internet Explorer 8 not compatible with this OS". I have tried running it in compatibility mode and everything but nothing has gotten it to install. Is there a way to install IE 8 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:43 PM

Answers

• To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?".

Also read:
    "How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 9 when the standard uninstallation process does not work".

Good luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Marked as answer by Zagaan Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Zagaan,

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9 please try:

• pressing the Start orb in the lower left corner of your screen
    • type "appwiz.cpl" (without the quotemarks) and press [ENTER]
    • click "View installed updates"
    • select "Windows Internet Explorer 9" in the category 'Microsoft Windows' and press 'Uninstall' in the top of the 'Installed updates'-box.
    • reboot your computer

Now we are going to check if Internet Explorer 8 is installed by:

• pressing the Start-orb in the lower left corner of your screen
    • typing "Turn Windows features on or off" and waiting for the list to be populated
    • find an entry called 'Internet Explorer 8' and check if the checkbox is selected
      • if it was not selected press "OK" and when it prompts you to restart your computer press "Restart now".
      • if it was already selected press "Cancel", press the Start-orb in the lower left corner of your screen and type "Internet Explorer" (when it shows the program Internet Explorer it would be wise to pin it to the taskbar or place it on your desktop)

This should do the trick, and I hope I could help you out.

With kind regards,
    Laurenz

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:50 PM
  • To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?".

Also read:
    "How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 9 when the standard uninstallation process does not work".

Good luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    • Marked as answer by Zagaan Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Internet Explorer 9 is not the add or remove programs. It is in the "Turn Windows features on or off' section. I also can't do the second part because IE 9 is there instead of IE8. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I tried to uninstall IE9 previously (from the "Turn Windows features on or off") section but, then I ended up having no Internet explorer program on the computer. I then had to reinstall it from the same area. IE 9 is the version that came pre-installed in the computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Edited by Zagaan Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:38 PM
  • I tried to uninstall IE9 previously (from the "Turn Windows features on or off") section but, then I ended up having no Internet explorer program on the computer. I then had to reinstall it from the same area. IE 9 is the version that came pre-installed in the computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please follow carefully the instructions in my reply.

If still no joy please contact the computer system manufacturer for assistance (Asus, Acer, etc.).

Best of Luck,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:55 PM
  • I am sorry Vincenzo. I did not follow them properly and you are correct. Once I restarted I had IE8 on here. Thank you very much for the help.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:31 PM
  • I am sorry Vincenzo. I did not follow them properly and you are correct. Once I restarted I had IE8 on here. Thank you very much for the help.
    Excellent.

You're welcome. Glad to help and thank you very much for your feedback, Zagaan.

Best of Luck,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:33 AM
  • I just wanted to say I had the same issue with my laptop coming with IE9 pre-installed, but need IE8 for work purposes and your instructions were a life saver! I had started to panic when I tried to install IE8 but my computer told me it wasn't compatible, but thanks to your detailed instructions I am running IE8 and getting my work done. Thank you so much !!
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Dear Sir,

I want to be sure I understand your solution above please:

-My PC is brand new with IE 9, Windows 7 - 64 bit.  There is no previous version of Internet Explorer loaded on it to be able to restore a previous version as mentioned in Step 4 above.  I want to get rid of IE 9 and would like IE 8 on my brand new PC.

-Does the above process still work with a brand new computer that has no other previous versions of Internet Explorer on it (to restore)?  If not, is there a solution?

Many thanks for your help.

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:48 AM
  • No CuriousKat, there is no other solution.  These folks are only right for early Windows 7 versions that shipped with IE8
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:29 PM