none
Why is IE10 CP 64 Bit starting 32 bit processes for browsing?

Question

• On Windows 8 CP, you can start IE10 64 bit, as you could with the DP, by running:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

By contrast, the 32 bit version is here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

So how come when you start the 64 bit IE10, does it start 32 bit processes for rendering the actual pages?  This is different from the IE10 in the DP, which ran all 64 bit.

If you have a 64 bit system, fire up the old Task Manager if you don't believe me.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Monday, March 12, 2012 5:30 PM Corrected typo in subject
    Monday, March 12, 2012 5:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• An explanation is forthcoming in the IETeam blog...

Rob^_^

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Maybe they did it because only the 32-bit IE had the JIT JScript interpreter. Looking forward to the IE blog post on this.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Thanks, Rob.  There are SO many blogs...  Could you please put up a link to the base page for the one you're referring-to?

Xpclient, what's interesting is that I think the DP ran in full 64 bit fashion.  You're saying they've changed out the interpreter since then?  I recall measuring the performance of the 64 bit IE10 DP and it was definitely up as compared to the IE9 64 bit version.

-Noel

In development:

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:25 PM
  • IE Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/

IE10 consumer Preview - guide for developers - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ie/hh673549.aspx you will find links to additional resources here.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Thanks.

That recent post about protections surely can't be the reason for the 32 bit implementation, because if it is they're being penny wise and pound foolish...  Being susceptible to run any number of 32 bit malware modules is one great reason NOT to use 32 bit IE, though shutting off virtually all ability to run ActiveX (except for sites in the Trusted zone) seems a prudent way to nip that in the bud for both browsers.  Still, it's better to have several barriers in place.

What have you heard that leads you to believe they're going to blog about the 32 / 64 bit thing?

In any case, it would be a mistake, I think, for Microsoft to abandon 64 bit browswer implementations.  I've always gotten GREAT service out of the 64 bit IE9, and would hate to give that up.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:10 AM
  • @Noel: What he "heard" was me, saying: "Hey, we'll be blogging about this over on the IEBlog in the next few days." The topic is a lot more complicated than it initially appears.

@xpclient: IE10 includes a 64bit JavaScript JIT.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Heh, Eric, I imagine pretty much ANYTHING about modern browser implementation is FAR more complicated than it initially appears.  :)

Please plan some time to blog (or talk here) about the missing color in the font rendering as well.  Pretty please?

Thank you.  :)

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Ted Johnson clarified via email that you have to enable Enhanced Protected Mode, then IE10 x64 will switch over to 64-bit processes. Unfortunately, Enhanced Protected Mode disables all addons, this is hardly an acceptable design.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:54 AM
  • This is (partly) why it's called enhanced. There is no more chance to brake in via add-on.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:04 AM
  • And what does a security sandbox mode have to do with 64-bit IE processes? There is no need to combine the two settings together. As mentioned, IE10 on Developer Preview had no such restriction.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:48 AM
  • this is hardly an acceptable design.

Seriously, there's some indication this is a design change?!?  and not just some interim fix until they get everything working together properly by RTM?

I'm not sure whether I'm willing to accept that, because what, specifically, can't you do in 64 bit code that you can do in 32 bit code?

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:30 PM
  • not just some interim fix until they get everything working together properly by RTM??

Something else changed in the CP.  E.g. did you notice an option in the Security Settings dialog in the DP about this?  I hope that there is some explanation of  Bitness  too...   <eg>

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_8/how-do-i-activate-internet-explorer-10-64-bit/d14b7f5f-95b2-4a03-9131-aa55633c8594

---

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Yes, there was something in the DP about using "64 bit".  I still have a Win8 DP VM, so I fired it up.  This is what it used to say:

Clearly that Enable 64-bit Mode is no longer there, though there's still space for it.  This has me hopeful we'll get back 64 bit rendering.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I still have a Win8 DP VM, so I fired it up.

So, fire up ProcMon, toggle that checkbox and see if it is doing something with  Bitness.    Bitness is still there and still tested.   All that has been removed is the UI for toggling it (assuming that is what it does.)   ;  )

---

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:27 AM
  • I don't hold much hope for hacking it into submission.

Back in the DP, if you started the 32 bit IE, you got pages rendered by 32 bit iexplore.exe, and if you started 64 bit IE you got pages rendered by 64 bit iexplore.exe.  That checkbox just set things up at the OS level so that when pages were just opened by various things, the 64 bit IE would start by default instead of the 32 bit IE - which seems unrelated to this latest behavior.

It's pretty clear they've now jimmied the code so that it starts a 32 bit iexplore.exe rendering process regardless, now, and we're left to hope that it's only temporary.

I just checked the IEBlog...  No new news there.

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:54 AM
  • No, not yet... Eric said they were planning to... add their feed to your reader to keep up to date.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:23 AM
  • It's pretty clear they've now jimmied the code so that it starts a 32 bit iexplore.exe rendering process regardless, now, and we're left to hope that it's only temporary.

I just checked the IEBlog...  No new news there.

Still awaiting that blog entry to explain why IE has reverted back to 32 bits...

-Noel

In development:

Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Still awaiting that blog entry to explain why IE has reverted back to 32 bits...

You may have missed...

Understanding Enhanced Protected Mode [in IE10] (23 Mar-12)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thanks.  Yes, I had missed it.

I've enabled Enhanced Protected Mode, and frankly I don't see a change:  The renderers are still running 32 bits. 

But I'm not sure I want it to work - at least one person has said my 64 bit Add-ons (of which I have a very few, but they're important to me) wouldn't work if I did manage to actually get it into that mode.

So as happens from time to time, something that I was doing to enhance security (running 64 bit IE) is now impossible for me to do, in the name of enhanced security.  Great.  So it's off to find the next workaround.

-Noel

In development:

Monday, March 26, 2012 4:16 AM
  • run java script programs fast!  I have a core line of business that is slow as a turtle running in 64bitIE10 and things just don't work (plugin grid report viewing being one of them)  The delay between switching screens is 20-30 seconds, in 32bit, its instant.  My app lightening fast  in Opera, Firefox, Chrome and IE9 32-bit.  It sucks in ie9-64bit as well.  For now, I need 32-bit IE10 to my default browser.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:22 PM
  • It's water well under the bridge now, unless you haven't been keeping up to date with Windows Updates.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:38 PM