none
IE9 - Change icons for favorites in Favorite Bar

Question

• In IE8 there is an option in the properties of a favorite to "Change Icon" however I do not see this in IE9.

Is there a way to do this? I have a bunch of default IE icons in my Favorites Bar and I would like to customize them because I only have the tiles showing and no text.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:28 PM

Answers

• Yes that is exactly what I am doing (getting my icon out of a .dll) - when I am on the "Web Document" tab in the Properties of the shortcut, there is a button for "Change Icon" and when I hit the button it asks me what file to look in for the icon. So I choose a .dll and try to load an icon.

I have noticed that the icons show appropriately in the Favorites list when I am either organizing Favorites or I am in the Favorites folder in Windows Explorer, but they just do not show on the Favorites Bar itself. I wonder if this is some sort of cache problem?

It has to be the shortcut in the Favorites Bar folder (%UserProfile%\Favorites\Links).

With the menu bar enabled, I clicked on Favorites\Favorites Bar and right clicked on a link there.  I changed the icon using the button and closed it.  The new icon immediately showed up in the Favorites Bar (which was also enabled).

It seems the default dll is now url.dll.  Other usefull dlls are imageres.dll and good old moricons.dll.

Note, IconIndex can change between service packs, IE versions etc.  This can make your icons unpredictable, especially with roaming profiles.

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to do this?

You could edit the .URL files.    E.g. add an  IconFile= if it doesn't already have one.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:44 AM
    Answerer
  • I tried that but it looks like I need a listing of what # the icons are for the IconIndex attribute.

Does anyone know how I can find which icon is which "IconIndex" number so I can add it to the .url file?

Sample .url HTML:

[DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=https://admin.microsoftonline.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
    [{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    Prop3=19,11
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=https://admin.microsoftonline.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
    IDList=
    HotKey=0
    IconFile=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=159

Thursday, April 07, 2011 12:43 AM
  • I tried that but it looks like I need a listing of what # the icons are for the IconIndex attribute.

Does anyone know how I can find which icon is which "IconIndex" number so I can add it to the .url file?

Sample .url HTML:

[DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=https://admin.microsoftonline.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
    [{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    Prop3=19,11
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=https://admin.microsoftonline.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
    IDList=
    HotKey=0
    IconFile=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=159

I used this program to find the IconIndex: http://www.mitec.cz/Downloads/IconExplorer.zip

However for some reason, it does not appear to be working with the IconIndex # I have selected :( It is still the default IE icon.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 12:56 AM
  • IconFile=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=159

Surely you are not trying to get your icon out of a .dll?   What happens if you use an  .ico  file instead?  I wouldn't expect an IconIndex to be required for that.  In fact, it looks as if all my .ico files have either an IconIndex=1 or none at all.

---

Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:00 AM
    Answerer
  • IconFile=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=159

Surely you are not trying to get your icon out of a .dll?   What happens if you use an  .ico  file instead?  I wouldn't expect an IconIndex to be required for that.  In fact, it looks as if all my .ico files have either an IconIndex=1 or none at all.

---

Yes that is exactly what I am doing (getting my icon out of a .dll) - when I am on the "Web Document" tab in the Properties of the shortcut, there is a button for "Change Icon" and when I hit the button it asks me what file to look in for the icon. So I choose a .dll and try to load an icon.

I have noticed that the icons show appropriately in the Favorites list when I am either organizing Favorites or I am in the Favorites folder in Windows Explorer, but they just do not show on the Favorites Bar itself. I wonder if this is some sort of cache problem?

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Yes that is exactly what I am doing (getting my icon out of a .dll) - when I am on the "Web Document" tab in the Properties of the shortcut, there is a button for "Change Icon" and when I hit the button it asks me what file to look in for the icon. So I choose a .dll and try to load an icon.

It has to be the shortcut in the Favorites Bar folder (%UserProfile%\Favorites\Links).

With the menu bar enabled, I clicked on Favorites\Favorites Bar and right clicked on a link there.  I changed the icon using the button and closed it.  The new icon immediately showed up in the Favorites Bar (which was also enabled).

It seems the default dll is now url.dll.  Other usefull dlls are imageres.dll and good old moricons.dll.

Note, IconIndex can change between service packs, IE versions etc.  This can make your icons unpredictable, especially with roaming profiles.

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:40 PM