Internet Explorer Flickering

Question

• I've seen it flicker quite a lot. Mostly in AJAX pages like GMail, and a couple of times here as well.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:31 PM

Answers

• Strangely, your experience with shutting all IE windows down and reopening them doesn't seem to do anything for me. I get the flickering whenever I go to those sites - first time or the last.

This MAY have something to do with hardware... When I click on Computer | Properties, there is a VAUGE mention of a video issue - that the video is non-optimal. Exactly WHAT the issue is, I'm not entirely sure. The video subsystem in this box is based on an Nvidia GeForce 6100 chipset and has 128 MB RAM allocated to it. (It's built into the mobo.). The solutions listed in the help are pretty much willy/nilly going from changing themes, changing resolution, etc..

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:42 PM

All replies

• Cool... I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happening with. Hotmail's pretty bad - especially with the flash based ads.

I just put it down to beta video drivers.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:51 PM
  • I've seen this behavior as well, but the strange thing is that for me, a complete restart of IE7 (close all IE7 windows, not just the flickering one) corrects it, even if I go to the same pages that I've browsed to before.

Rather than just being a problem with pages that run AJAX, I also see it after viewing pages that are not running AJAX code but have embedded animated advertisements.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:02 PM
  • Strangely, your experience with shutting all IE windows down and reopening them doesn't seem to do anything for me. I get the flickering whenever I go to those sites - first time or the last.

This MAY have something to do with hardware... When I click on Computer | Properties, there is a VAUGE mention of a video issue - that the video is non-optimal. Exactly WHAT the issue is, I'm not entirely sure. The video subsystem in this box is based on an Nvidia GeForce 6100 chipset and has 128 MB RAM allocated to it. (It's built into the mobo.). The solutions listed in the help are pretty much willy/nilly going from changing themes, changing resolution, etc..

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:42 PM
  • Hmmm. I have a GeForce 6200 TC that has 64MB on the card and uses 256MB of shared memory. When I was not using the shared memory, I got flickering triggered by web pages with animation of some kind. As of last night I'm using the shared memory and running Aero (thanks to a driver update released last week), and I get the flicker all the time as soon as I view something with moving page elements via CSS or an animated advertisement.

So I'd agree it seems to be hardware, but as for how we report this to NVIDIA in a way that they can use, I'm not sure.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:53 PM
  • I have a Radeon X700 card w/ 256mb of non-shared ram and the flickering is driving me nuts, so not just an NVIDIA problem. Everytime I hit say an arrow key or backspace or mouse click on this very message entry page it flickers.

Friday, June 30, 2006 2:33 AM
  • I frequent another forum that uses the same type forum software as here and have seen the flicker on a couple of instances. That was on Win XP SP2. Tell you the truth I only use IE for coming to microsoft.com...
    Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:11 AM
  •  eshcorp wrote:
    I've seen it flicker quite a lot. Mostly in AJAX pages like GMail, and a couple of times here as well.

Flickers here too. Especially when I rolled my cursor over web-based buttons and some times flash animations flickers as well.

Friday, July 07, 2006 2:29 PM
  • IE 7 b3 on Vista 5456. Flickering here as well.

Hardware is an ATI 9600 Mobility Radeon.

Clearly a Vista issue.

/e

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:20 AM
  • Yep I get the flickering too, IE7+ Vista Beta 2 Build 5384. It flickers on Flash pages, or animated CSS type pages. Even while I'm typing in this message it flickers.

My graphics hardware is an nVidia GeForce 5600.

It looks like there is a mix of both ATI and nVidia, so maybe it's not a graphics hardware/driver thing.

Hope this can get fixed soon, its driving me nuts

-Perros-

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:33 PM
  • Flickers for me when openning a reporting services report.  Only started happening after I updated reportings services with SP1...so removed sp1 and no more flicker...yet.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:21 AM
  • Interestingly enough, I have uninstalled Flash (version 9). And it seems to have solved my flickering problem.

It used to flicker on Flash and non-flash sites, including this site, but isn't doing it any more.

So maybe it is something to do with how Flash affects page rendering?

Let me know if this helps anybody else... and i'll post again if the flickering returns.

-Perros-

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:25 AM
  • SP1.....?

Did I like miss something?

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:28 AM
  •  Wolfie2k6 wrote:

SP1.....?

Did I like miss something?

I haven't seen that patch... although I haven't been looking closely as updates runs automatically.

-Perros-

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:31 AM
  • Sorry, thats SQL2005 SP1...I ended up reinstalling SQL2005 and my flicker is gone.  Its a personal machine rather than a prod box so I'd rather do that than go back to IE6
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:32 AM
  • Ok, i'm actually still getting the flickering, even without flash installed.

It just took a bit for it to start happening.

-Perros-

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:59 AM
  • Hi all,

It is a definite problem with the Display adapter.  I have WDDM driver.

When i disabled the display adapter i can see the websites flickering especially when i take the mouse cursor across the webpage it got flickering and also i can see a small windows which contains Play, Pause, forward.. buttons when i plac the mouse cursor on the flash file.

Bala

Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:47 PM
  • I experience the same flickering using Windows Vista IE 7, even with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro vid card w/128 MB dedicated memory.  Aero Glass works great, but IE has tons of flickering.

My Vista build is 5384.  I should say, the flickering isn't just flash ads; it's also entire web pages, which seem to take a few seconds to adjust themselves before settling.  Hard to describe.

• Proposed as answer by salting14 Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:41 PM
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:19 PM
  • I'm almost positive that the flickering greatly improved once I removed the Flash 9 ActiveX control that I had installed.  I do still see some flickering.  Maybe the issue is that I'm no longer seeing flickering on the many pages that have inline flash.
    Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:02 PM
  •  David Lemson - MSFT wrote:
    I'm almost positive that the flickering greatly improved once I removed the Flash 9 ActiveX control that I had installed.  I do still see some flickering.  Maybe the issue is that I'm no longer seeing flickering on the many pages that have inline flash.

David,

My experiences with Flash 9 have NOT been positive. In fact, the only thing I've seen under 9 is a nasty little red X instead of the animation or other flash app. Somehow, i managed to get Flash 8 installed on my 32 bit install of Vista and it, oddly enough, works just fine. Now if I can find that site again so I can install Flash 8 on my 64 bit install, I'll be a happy camper.

Oh... And the flashing in IE - it was there before Flash was installed. One of the first sites I hit with IE (MSN, if I recall correctly) was flashing like crazy.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:57 PM
  • At least, the flickering seems to be GONE with RC1. That's with all the alleged perpetrators installed (Java, Flash, etc...).

Sober job!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:59 PM
  • I'm using RC1 now, and the flickering is less but not gone.  It still flickers with Flash ads.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:06 PM
  • I am using Vista Home Premium...Radeon X300 (Latest driver)...IE7 flickers on just about all sites (even as I type this).  Firefox 2 appears to be the workaround for now.
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:04 AM
  • Anyone found a solution for this problem? I just got it..

Ive seen some post around the internet about this, all seem to have en ATI Radeon X300.

My specs are - Dell Inspiron 6000 system:

Graphiccard: ATI Radeon X300

Graphiccard driver (MOBILITY RADEON X300 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM))

- Provider: ATI

- Driver date: 25-08-2006

- Version: 7.14.10.8333

The flickering accours only on sites with some kind of flash on it.

Any suggestions?

/Lars

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Just started experiencing this same flickering/choppy symtom.

My specs are as follows;

APP:  IE 8 Beta

Graphics: Dual BFG 8800 GTX in SLi mode

Graphics Driver: Nvidias' latest

RAM:  8Gb

IE8 opens very slowly and the side scrolling is very choppy

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ron

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  

Its the new IE8, I have Vista Ultimate x64 and when I installed the new IE8 Beta 2, I started seeing screen flickering on flash sites when scrolling mouse across screen... Hope this helps..

Joe

iBizPanel Business FailOver Hosting

http://ibizpanelhosting.com/

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

I have Vista IE& and I am having this issue as well, I also experience it while online gaming, I have not expereince this before installing Vista SP1 there is something terribly buggy with this. Does anyone have a fix?
    Monday, October 13, 2008 5:46 AM
  • I had the same problem and was able to resolve it.

The issue ended up being the display drivers for my graphics card. I, like many Dell owners, have a Radeon X300 installed. I went to the ATI support site and downloaded/installed their latest drivers (posted on 11/12).

I highly suggest you try this solution as I know how annoying this issue is.

Regards,

MV

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I'm having the same issue but it is not graphics drivers. The reason I can be sure of this is that the problem only occurs in IE, not in chrome. Have updated flash, but still that damn flickering. Will post when I find a solution, other than to use chrome :-)
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Remove Adobe Flash Player xx - Active X plugin, leave the rest. The problem wil be solved.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Hi, I eventually fixed this by setting Compatibility Mode on for all sites in IE8. Problem was flickering when browsing. Tried update the AVI driver, and the BIOS - no change. Then set theCompatibility Mode on, close down IE and open up again.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi, disabling smartscreenfilter(*) in IE8, restart IE8, resolved the flickering...for me.

(*)Tools>Internet Options>Advanced - under Security clear  the checkbox "Enable Smartscreen Filter"

HTH, Pedro

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Yep - That sorted it for me too.
    Developer
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Cool... I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happening with. Hotmail's pretty bad - especially with the flash based ads.

I just put it down to beta video drivers.

hey me 3 i hate it..
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:20 PM