Why would IE8 on Vista not keep any history when browsing in normal mode?

Question

• I am absolutely stumped as to why IE8 is not keeping any history of sites that I visit when I'm browsing normal (i.e. not InPrivate). All I get in the history tab of the favorites center is a dropdown to search history, but when I type something for a site I know I've been to I get no results. I've even gone so far as to reset IE back to defaults (Tools -> Advanced -> Reset) with no luck.

I'm running IE8 on Vista Business SP1 x86 patched with all available updates through this morning. I do have Windows Defender and CCleaner 2.18.878 installed, and I've gone through both programs looking for some setting that would actively prevent history from being logged but I have found nothing.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your problem description, please perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

In Internet Explorer, the Autocomplete feature enables you to record the history of sites that you visited and prevent your form retyping the web address while browsing the same webpage in the future. It can be enabled or disabled from Tools -> Internet options -> Content -> AutoComplete (Setting). For your current situation, you might check the box before Browsing history option under the Address bar.

Hope the information helps you!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 27, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:49 AM

All replies

• To make this a little more interesting...I've noticed that I DO have history in the address bar. It looks like it's just the history on the favorites center that's broken.

Friday, April 17, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hello,

According to your problem description, please perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

In Internet Explorer, the Autocomplete feature enables you to record the history of sites that you visited and prevent your form retyping the web address while browsing the same webpage in the future. It can be enabled or disabled from Tools -> Internet options -> Content -> AutoComplete (Setting). For your current situation, you might check the box before Browsing history option under the Address bar.

Hope the information helps you!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 27, 2009 10:56 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:49 AM
  • I have the same problem as the origional poster I am using Vista 64 and IE8.  The history in my Favorites, History tab section is completley empty (It only shows "Search History".  I have tried the fixes suggested here to no avail. I do have history displayed the on drop-down menu in the address bar.  A Microsoft technician who was working on a problem with my Outlook 2007 may have moved either my Tempoary Internet Folder or my Favorites.  I was able to import my Favorites (URL's) but not turn on or otherwise log my browsing history into the History tab in Favorites.  I suspect my problem is either a missing or mis-directed file, or a registry issue. 
    Has anyone found a fix for this problem?  I really need some help on this one.
    Harold F
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:53 PM
  • HOW TO FIX INTERNET EXPLORER 8 (IE8) NOT HAVING ANY HISTORY

This has been tested in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

1. Copy these instructions into Notepad

2. Close all instances of Internet Explorer

3. Open Windows Explorer

4. Press the Alt key on your keyboard to show the menus, click the Tools menu and choose Folder Options

5. On the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

6. Click the OK button

7. Type this (exactly as shown) into the Windows Explorer address bar and press Enter on your keyboard:

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows

8. Delete the hidden system folder called "History"

9. Open Internet Explorer

10. You should now have a new [working] History folder

Enjoy!

Jeremy Denegar

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy Denegar Friday, October 30, 2009 1:12 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:12 AM
  • i'm running XP at work and cannot get the browsing history to stay after closing IE8. i've tried all the suggestions here and no luck :(
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:17 PM