none
Deploying IE9 with SCCM OSD Task Sequence

Question

• Hello

I have a strange issue with a Windows 7 build since incorporating IE 9 into the task sequence. When we build a system whether IE 9 has been incorporated into the image or even if it is only installed as an additional step after the image has been laid down, I have an issue with the profile of any standard user that logs on to the system prior to an Admin logging in.  All standard users that logon to the system are forced to the Classic theme until an admin logs into the system. Any user that doesn’t have an existing profile on the system and logs on after an admin has logged on, gets the correct basic theme as we require. So my only conclusion is that something during the installation of IE 9 requires an admin to login to the system to complete the installation. If I deploy the image and log on as the local admin first, every user after that works fine.

Has anybody attempted to incorporate IE 9 into a task sequence with any success?

Thanks,

Justin

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hello all,

It appears that there is a bug in the IE9 (x86) installer. This issue does not occur on x64 editions. We have logged a case with Microsoft PSS and after replicating the issue, they have escalated to the IE dev team. The workaround is to slip stream the IE9 installation into your Windows 7 source media. This way when you do a build and capture, IE9 is already part of the OS.

Steps to slipstream IE9 are below:

1.       Download IE 9 installation package MSU version from the link:

Win7 x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210145

2.       Create below folders.

G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en

G:\IE9_Slip\mount

G:\IE9_Slip\pkg

G:\IE9_Slip\sandbox

G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1

3.       Put the ImageX.exe in the G:\IE9_Slip folder.

4.       Put the IE9-win7.msu in G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en folder.

5.       Copy the install.wim from the Win7 SP1 DVD and paste to G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1 folder.

6.       Open a command line in administrator privilege. Switch the path to G:\IE9_Slip

7.       Run below command to expand the MSU file to pkg folder.

expand.exe G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en\IE9-win7.MSU -F:* G:\IE9_Slip\pkg

8.       Run below command to determin which image you want slipstream IE 9 into.

imagex.exe /info G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim

9.       For example, if the image index is 1. Then run below command to mount the install.wim.

imagex.exe /mountrw G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim 1 G:\IE9_Slip\mount

10.   Run below command to slipstream the IE 9:

pkgmgr.exe /n:"G:\IE9_Slip\pkg\Windows6.1-KB982861-x86.xml" /o:""G:\IE9_Slip\mount";"G:\IE9_Slip\mount\windows"" /s:"G:\IE9_Slip\sandbox" /l:"G:\IE9_Slip\slip.log"

It will not be any prompt after this command. You can check the G:\IE9_Slip\slip.log file. If there’s not any error message. It means it   completed.

*Note* please don’t mistake any quotation marks.

11.   Run below command to commit the image.

imagex.exe /commit /unmount G:\IE9_Slip\mount

Then the G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim is the updated image file which have IE 9 build in. You can use it to deploy.  

Hope this helps,
    Justin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:04 AM

All replies

• We are experiencing the exact same problem. No succes as of now.

Regards Thomas

Friday, April 01, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Have you tried building IE9 with IEAK?

Regards Thomas

Friday, April 01, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hey Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. Yes we experience the same issue if the IE9 package has been built with IEAK.

Thanks,
    Justin

Monday, April 04, 2011 1:07 AM
  • I am having the same problem. This is very frustrating!

-J

Jacob Andrade
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Hello all,

It appears that there is a bug in the IE9 (x86) installer. This issue does not occur on x64 editions. We have logged a case with Microsoft PSS and after replicating the issue, they have escalated to the IE dev team. The workaround is to slip stream the IE9 installation into your Windows 7 source media. This way when you do a build and capture, IE9 is already part of the OS.

Steps to slipstream IE9 are below:

1.       Download IE 9 installation package MSU version from the link:

Win7 x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210145

2.       Create below folders.

G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en

G:\IE9_Slip\mount

G:\IE9_Slip\pkg

G:\IE9_Slip\sandbox

G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1

3.       Put the ImageX.exe in the G:\IE9_Slip folder.

4.       Put the IE9-win7.msu in G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en folder.

5.       Copy the install.wim from the Win7 SP1 DVD and paste to G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1 folder.

6.       Open a command line in administrator privilege. Switch the path to G:\IE9_Slip

7.       Run below command to expand the MSU file to pkg folder.

expand.exe G:\IE9_Slip\IE9x86en\IE9-win7.MSU -F:* G:\IE9_Slip\pkg

8.       Run below command to determin which image you want slipstream IE 9 into.

imagex.exe /info G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim

9.       For example, if the image index is 1. Then run below command to mount the install.wim.

imagex.exe /mountrw G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim 1 G:\IE9_Slip\mount

10.   Run below command to slipstream the IE 9:

pkgmgr.exe /n:"G:\IE9_Slip\pkg\Windows6.1-KB982861-x86.xml" /o:""G:\IE9_Slip\mount";"G:\IE9_Slip\mount\windows"" /s:"G:\IE9_Slip\sandbox" /l:"G:\IE9_Slip\slip.log"

It will not be any prompt after this command. You can check the G:\IE9_Slip\slip.log file. If there’s not any error message. It means it   completed.

*Note* please don’t mistake any quotation marks.

11.   Run below command to commit the image.

imagex.exe /commit /unmount G:\IE9_Slip\mount

Then the G:\IE9_Slip\Win7Sp1\install.wim is the updated image file which have IE 9 build in. You can use it to deploy.  

Hope this helps,
    Justin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Justin,

I also have a case open with MS on this issue. They have yet to provide an substantial information. I noticed that Active Setup is not running correctly.

I am using the x64 version of the install. Do you have any thoughts on this?

-Jacob

Jacob Andrade
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:26 PM
  • We had similar issue with the deployment of IE9. We noticed that the install creates two commands within the RunOnce registry key. These commands need to be executed post installation/restart and as administrator.

HIVE LOCATION

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

VALUES

BrandClearStubs

NoIE4StubProcessing

We deployed IE9 by creating a two stepped installation in SCCM. The first part of the deployment installs IE and restarts the system. The second part executes the registry value data commands from a batch file.

Scott.

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I just successfully tested Scott's approach.

Add the following "Run Command Line" step after the IE9 setup in your Task Sequence and you're done:

reg.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" /v "NoIE4StubProcessing" /f

Martin
    • Proposed as answer by Mathias_H Monday, December 12, 2011 11:19 AM
    Friday, August 05, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Thank you to Scott and Martin.

I have searched through the registry and none of these entries exist. We are on Vista for the clients. I have sent IE9 out via SCCM and does seem to have work, but like you said, a standard user, it does not work until administrator logs on and select the options on IE9 for the first time.

Users still get IE 7 or 8 and most pages they click, they get the internet explorer is not working, click to close.

Thanks.

Phil

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:06 AM
  • We are having the same issues also, might have a workaround if it works I will let you know

Share Your Dreams Online

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Hi

This website details an excellent script using SCCM to fix this issue and execute all runonce commands.

I can confirm this worked for me.

http://stefanhazenbroek.blogspot.com/2011/06/configmgr-deploy-internet-explorer-9-as.html

Regards

yeah
    • Edited by staino Monday, October 10, 2011 1:59 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:59 AM
  • we are having the same issues here, installing IE9 as an update via WSUS/SCCM Update deployment. It's fine for the first login, then any other users that login get the windows basic theme and no IE9 shortcuts on their desktop / start menu.

As we are deploying IE9 via WSUS, there's no provision for adding script to the installation. It's also not viable to send out a script via SCCM package installer as there will be a gap between installing IE9 and the script deployment.

Is there a known fix or workaround for installing IE9 through WSUS?

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    Friday, November 04, 2011 12:43 PM
  • It's also not viable to send out a script via SCCM package installer as there will be a gap between installing IE9 and the script deployment.

If your software inventory data is up to date and refreshed regularly, here's an idea to shorten this gap:

- Create a query based collection in SCCM and make sure to enable "add resources dynamically"

- Include computers with IE9 in your membership query

- Create a mandatory advertisement for your script on this newly created collection

As soon as your client reports its current software inventory, SCCM will add it to the collection and run the script.

HTH,
    Martin

Friday, November 04, 2011 8:08 PM
  • we are having the same issues here, installing IE9 as an update via WSUS/SCCM Update deployment.

> We are talking about THE IEAK Version of IE. That's the reason why YOU don't deploy IE7/IE8/IE9 via WSUS. With the IEAK Version you can install silent and reboot silent. Plus THE first user who logs on to the system DOES not need local Admin rights.

Things aren't so easy as they often seem on first look ;-)

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hello all,

It appears that there is a bug in the IE9 (x86) installer. This issue does not occur on x64 editions.

> Not fully correct > It also a problem on Windows 7 64BIT German version with IEAK IE9 and GPO Policies running on German Server. ;-)

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:25 PM