none
Cannot "Save and Open" htm files

Question

• With IE9, when I click on a link to download a htm or html file, I get a pop-up from the download manager asking Do you wan to save ...  The options are Save, Save As, or Cancel.  The Save and Open option is grayed out.  I would like to be able to "Save and Open".   Is there a way that I can change how the download manager handles htm and html files so that I can "Save and Open"?

--Thanks!

Friday, September 09, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occur with other type of file?

Try to disable protected mode on IE9, restore advanced settings of IE.

If it doesn’t work, try to rest IE settings on IE\internet options\Advanced\reset internet explorer settings

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:53 AM
  • When I click on a link to download or click on a webmail attachment that is a .doc, .xls, .pfd, etc. I get the option to Save, Save As, Save and Open, or Cancel in IE9.  When the link or attachment is a htm or html file, the to "Save and Open" option is grayed out.  Is there a way that I can change how the download manager handles htm and html files so that I can "Save and Open"? 

Protected mode is off.  I do not see options for modifying how different file types are managed in IE or Download manager.  Can I make the changes in the registry?  If so, which keys?

Snazzyt
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my test, IE9 could download htm or html file as attachment in webmail, and “Save and Open” function is also can be used.

Capture

Try to reinstall IE9 for test, or you can try to create another administrator and login to check if the same issue occurs.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

I reinstalled IE9, but the "Save and Open" option is still grayed out for htm attachments.

Thanks,

T.

Snazzyt
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Try to rename your profile, then login again. The new profile will be created. Use the new profile to check if the same issue occurs.

Furthermore, you can try to temporally remove IE9, then use IE8 to see if the same issue occurs.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:08 AM
  • I created a new user account.  With IE9, the “Save and Open” function is still grayed out for htm or html file as attachments in webmail.  With IE8 the “Save and Open” function is available.

Thank you,

T.

Snazzyt
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:48 PM
  • - It is evident why IE would not show the options.
    - 1. The htm and the html are both IE native so when we browse a site with a file name for .htm or .html it directly opens the file.
    - 2. The only way where you get a prompt to save the file is when a server sends that file as an attachment
          (as tested and verified by Leo Huang).
    - By attachment I mean that it should send the content header with the Content Disposition set to "attachment".
    - This is more of a by design thing, only more visible in IE9 as it has the download manager as a separate entity.
    - Workaround is to do a save as and save the file as we did in right clicking in a link and then saying "Save target As" in the earlier
       versions of the browser.
    Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  However, this issue is ocurring with htm and html files that are attachments to emails.  With IE8, I could Save and Open these files.  Now, with IE9, I can only Save or Save As.  Save and Open is grayed out, but I would love to get this option back for these htm and html webmail/email attachments.
    Snazzyt
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please check this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260519

I'd also like to know if you are hitting this issue on just one machine and/or with just one website.

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to access htm and html webmail attachments more efficiently.  Currently, I am having to Save or Save As the htm or html attachment; then select View Downloads; then double click the saved htm attachment to view its content.  For other file types, like pdf or doc, I just have to Save and Open and the file auto-opens, which is a much quicker way to get to view the attachment.  The option to Save and Open is grayed out/dissabled for htm and html webmail attachments.

This is only happening with IE9, not IE8.  This is occuring with 2 pc, one with Windows 7 and the other with Vista.  I am using yahoo Webmail.

I was thinking I should be able to set how download manager handles htm and html files, but I cannot find where to set that.  Is there an option for that in the registry?

I am not hosting/serving documents, so kb/260519 does not seem to apply.

Thank you,

Snazzyt
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:16 PM
  • I can treproduce this with other email services/attachments like gmail.

however i wasnt able to find an explanation yet!

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Anyone ever figure out what causes the Open option to be missing and Save and Open greyed out?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Bump!

Stumbled upon the same issue. But my problem is that am missing the "Open" button when downloading htm and html files. Doesn't happen for other file types.

Also noticed that if I cnahe the file association of html file to Notepad, then the "open" button becomes visible while downloading html files. the same does not happen to htm files though

Anybody found a cause/solution for this?

Regards

Sudarshan

Monday, June 25, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Hi

Just had the same problem and figured out a work around. if you add another browser and set that to be the default browser then when you click on the attachment it will open iin that browser, may not suit everyone but there it is

Burgerman

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:20 AM
  • I got this similar issue.  Windows Update fixes the issue

Vote As Helpful - if you find helpful :-)

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:26 PM
  • I got this similar issue.  Windows Update fixes the issue

Vote As Helpful - if you find helpful :-)

I am experiencing the very same problem(IE10 on windows8 instead of IE9 on windows7).  Can you indicate which windows update fixes the issue? Is there the update for windows 8?
    Monday, December 02, 2013 5:40 AM
  • Hi

Just had the same problem and figured out a work around. if you add another browser and set that to be the default browser then when you click on the attachment it will open iin that browser, may not suit everyone but there it is

Burgerman

I did find this workaround, but it's not acceptable for our users
    Monday, December 02, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Is your problem resolved? I am suffering from the same. Thanks.
    Monday, December 02, 2013 5:48 AM