none
IE9 deletes every file I try to download

    Question

  • After applying an update KB890830 this morning, IE9 started to delete every/any file I try to download with a message "filename contained a virus and was deleted". Disabling antivirus (AVG) or it's IE9 addon doesn't help. I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 and IE9.

    Has anyone experienced it since that windows update? I can't remove that update either.

     

    Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I suggest you to disable all the add-ons for a test. This may be caused by the add-on of anti-virus.

    If this does not help, please try Reset the Internet Explorer. Click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

    Also, Try a Clean Boot to check if there's any third party software conflicts.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:01 AM
    Moderator
  • Hey, what I had not done was resetting the IE9. Out of curiosity I just reset it and now I'm able to download the pdf statements...

    Interesting... I will be researching what exactly caused the problem and will post it if I find out. 

    Thanks again...

    Bidzina

    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I suggest you to disable all the add-ons for a test. This may be caused by the add-on of anti-virus.

    If this does not help, please try Reset the Internet Explorer. Click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

    Also, Try a Clean Boot to check if there's any third party software conflicts.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:01 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the reply. I tried everything... :( no help. 

    At this point, I re-formatted the c: drive and have a clean install of Win 7 SP1 64bit. Again, after applying all updates from Microsoft and installing IE9 I was able to download some files without virus prompt, but now when I try to download say my credit card statements from a credit card company's website, when there is no direct pdf file link, rather a script (?) on the website, I get a prompt from IE9 asking if I want to open or save the file and after downloading it nothing happens.

    I tried disabling my firewall Zonealarm, all add-ons, including antivirus AVG and its add-on; starting up only with Microsoft services (with everything else disabled). I set all security to defaults in IE9 preferences. It's still the same.

    Just installed Google's Chrome and it works beautifully. No problems...

    So, I'm thinking sticking to Chrome from now on... We'll see if similar problem shows up again...

    Thanks for your help though.

     

    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hey, what I had not done was resetting the IE9. Out of curiosity I just reset it and now I'm able to download the pdf statements...

    Interesting... I will be researching what exactly caused the problem and will post it if I find out. 

    Thanks again...

    Bidzina

    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

    Thanks for your update.

    I will mark your reply as Answered.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:00 AM
    Moderator