none
IE 9 export to Excel not working

Question

• Hello,

I have a client that is trying to export a data grid from a web page thru IE 9 (on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit systems).  They get the following error:

New Web Query

This program cannot display the webpage.

I have a screenshot of the error,  Please let me know who I can e-mail the screenshot too?

When he uninstall IE 9 and went back to IE 8 this function worked.

Please advise on how to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick V. Kosmas
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• FYI, I am having the same problem:  Right-click to Excel works with IE versions prior to 9, but generates an error in IE 9:  a dialog box is opened with a title of "New Web Query", and a browser window that looks like it is to select the data to import...but that browser has a URL address of "http:///' ... nothing else, and consequently displays an error of "This program cannot display the webpage..."
    • Marked as answer by NickK60 Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NickK60 Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I've also hit this - the best solution, at the moment, seems to be to uninstall IE9.

Anyone know if this bug is being tracked by Microsoft and, hence, might get a fix any time soon?

Friday, May 06, 2011 10:27 AM
  • It hast to do somethin with IE9 in a clean install. ON my older System with Windows 7 Pro64 and a upgraded IE8 to IE9 the "export to excel" works perfect. But since i got my new laptop with a fresh install i have the same error. Its hard  because i need this feature 10 til 15 times a day. Any suggestions?
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:40 PM
  • I have installed IE9 as an upgrade to IE8 in Windows7 Professional and Ultimate both 64 and 32 bit versions.  This feature just will not work in IE9.  It gives an error that the web address cannot be found.  The Microsoft fix does nothing.  The only way to get the capability back is to uninstall IE9 (puts back IE8) and all is fine again.  If there is a setting in IE9 that fixes this I wish MS would publish it because I have tried everything to no avail (except uninstall).  Then the next upgrade comes along and IE9 want to reinstall itself.  I like IE9 features but this is a major setback for me and my clients. 
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:04 PM

All replies

• FYI, I am having the same problem:  Right-click to Excel works with IE versions prior to 9, but generates an error in IE 9:  a dialog box is opened with a title of "New Web Query", and a browser window that looks like it is to select the data to import...but that browser has a URL address of "http:///' ... nothing else, and consequently displays an error of "This program cannot display the webpage..."
    • Unmarked as answer by NickK60 Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I've also hit this - the best solution, at the moment, seems to be to uninstall IE9.

Anyone know if this bug is being tracked by Microsoft and, hence, might get a fix any time soon?

Friday, May 06, 2011 10:27 AM
  • It hast to do somethin with IE9 in a clean install. ON my older System with Windows 7 Pro64 and a upgraded IE8 to IE9 the "export to excel" works perfect. But since i got my new laptop with a fresh install i have the same error. Its hard  because i need this feature 10 til 15 times a day. Any suggestions?
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:40 PM
  • I have installed IE9 as an upgrade to IE8 in Windows7 Professional and Ultimate both 64 and 32 bit versions.  This feature just will not work in IE9.  It gives an error that the web address cannot be found.  The Microsoft fix does nothing.  The only way to get the capability back is to uninstall IE9 (puts back IE8) and all is fine again.  If there is a setting in IE9 that fixes this I wish MS would publish it because I have tried everything to no avail (except uninstall).  Then the next upgrade comes along and IE9 want to reinstall itself.  I like IE9 features but this is a major setback for me and my clients. 
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:04 PM
    • Edited by Zantier Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:39 AM added info
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:37 AM
  • This workaround will not work for my client.  They use a web app that does not display the address bar.

Nick V. Kosmas
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Some Uber geek left out the connector to export to excel in IE9.  Im sure there will be an update in the future but until then I did this to fix perfectly....

Open Control Panel > Programs and Featiures > View Installed Updates > (wait for complete population of installed updates) Select "Internet Explorer 9" > select "uninstall"

This will roll back to IE8 after a restart. My export to excel started working perfectly again.

I did not see any advantage to using IE9 and I am one who always stays on top of updates. I will continue to monitor the changelog for the IE9 updates till I see the export fix. Until then, IE8 words just fine...

JS

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Hi Nick

I thought I’d post a response as there is no other information on the internet as to the cause of this issue.

After hitting my head of a brick wall with the exact same issue i decided to log a support call with Microsoft. To cut a very long story short this is now a know "bug" with Internet Explorer 9 as the response below -

"This issue has arisen due to a change in the way IE passes on the script in its code for the Export query. This new method is incompatible with what Excel is expecting. We have found that the problem also occurs when working with Excel 2007 and IE9. It has been logged in our bug databases and the product team will look at resolving this for the next version of IE. Unfortunately, at this time, the only workarounds would be to revert to IE8 or to manually enter the URL when the web query box appears."

I am pressing Microsoft for a Hotfix and will post an update when i hear anything. BTW i have suggested to Microsoft to publish a KB article.

Cheers

John.

• Edited by John Horne Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:09 PM
  • If you where wondering how that KB article was comming up ?

here it is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826917

Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Im having the same problem. When i paste in the url it works. I dont want to go back to ie 8 or keep having to do this work around. Has microsoft come up with a proper fix yet.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:38 PM
  • that's not really a KB for a fix.   If you've uninstalled Excel, yeah, it won't work. - (duh) If you've uninstalled and reinstalled excel into another locatiton, yeah, the reg key for the menu option will be incorrect.  (not so much a duh, but yeah, uninstall and reinstall somewhere other than a default location...)
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:03 PM