none
a program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider

Question

• When I open Internet Explorer 9, a message comes up:  "a program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer 9".  Then it is followed by options on picking my primary search provider.  I tried to choose my options, but it does not accept and I am totally annoyed with having to close the two windows each and every time I open Internet Exployer 9.
    I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.
    also have google, which is all the addon I want.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:25 PM

Answers

• All the above are completely irrelevant

Looked like they fit your symptom description so far.  So, you need to do your own diagnosis and troubleshooting, then post your solution in threads like those to help others.   Hint:  start with some clean-boot troubleshooting.  E.g. uninstall your Google Toolbar.  I'm not certain that it is disabled if you only try doing NAOM or even RIES.   Otherwise use ProcMon to figure out what is happening.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• All the above are completely irrelevant, those fixes do not work. 

tried'em all and problem still there.

even tried uninstalling the explorer9 and re-installing it, but the problem still exists...

Monday, October 29, 2012 6:05 AM
  • All the above are completely irrelevant

Looked like they fit your symptom description so far.  So, you need to do your own diagnosis and troubleshooting, then post your solution in threads like those to help others.   Hint:  start with some clean-boot troubleshooting.  E.g. uninstall your Google Toolbar.  I'm not certain that it is disabled if you only try doing NAOM or even RIES.   Otherwise use ProcMon to figure out what is happening.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I also have this same problem only for IE 8. I have deleted all other users, copied files and created a new admin user account within 15 mins IE 8 gave me the same issue as on the previous account. The error I get which presistantly causes hang ups and has even now started blue screening my PC is below:

Internet Explorer - Search Provider Default

A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for the Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this ting to your original search provider, Google (www google com).

Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers.

I can change the search provider and even add a new one however this does not fix my problem. I have scanned for viruses using AVG and CCleaner and found none that would case such an issue.

I do believe this is an issue with Internet Explorer and how the code is written that allows Search engine toolbars. Is there an update to IE 8 for XP SP3 under way that would in turn fix this issue?

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:46 PM
  • copied files and created a new admin user account within 15 mins IE 8 gave me the same issue as on the previous account.

I do believe this is an issue with Internet Explorer

Your symptom description makes me think of interference from incompatible programs that you have installed for common use.   Does your problem symptom happen during a safe mode boot?  Many such programs would be prevented from starting in that scenario and thus reduce the likelihood of their interference.  (Not necessarily eliminate it because as long as something incompatible was installed there would always be the possibility of its registry entries being the cause of problems.  Etc.)

BTW if "blue screening" means getting an OS STOP code that is a sign of driver corruption or incompatibility.   IE operates at the application level and could not do this normally.   The most common thing it does now which causes such symptoms is in IE9 and above where it tries to get the machine's video support to offload rendering to the GPU.  So, in IE8 you wouldn't even have that possibility to worry about.  When IE8 was first made available some people's fingerprint reader software was suspected as being a cause of some problems (involving starting new sessions IIRC) but I don't think that even it crashed the OS. 

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 08, 2013 4:14 PM
  • I have the same issue on IE 11 and I have tried quite everything that I know and I am a technician with Dell software support.

Here are my findings....

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:19 AM