none
IE 10 won't load content into new tabs opened by links

Question

• I've recently 'upgraded' to IE 10 on multiple computers, differing manufacturers, both 32 and 64 bit all running Win 7 (home or pro), AND, I'm experiencing the same exact problem on all of them.

When I click on a link in say Gmail, or facebook, and the usual action would be to have the browser automatically open a new tab and display the content, now nothing happens. The tab opens (in the case of gmail 3 tabs open) with the same URL displayed as the original page, but it is utterly blank. And there it sits. No 404, not message, just blank. Right clicking on a link to choose to open in a new tab has the same result. If I paste an URL in the new tab it opens just fine.

It is the process of opening the tab and displaying the content from a link that fails. This is a deal breaker as it makes the experience so tedious as to be unusable.

I've never experienced this before, not even with the IE10 preview. The fact that I'm experiencing it on multiple non-identical computers makes me suspicious. I see others have experienced this in IE 9 and from what I can see there is no solution except to switch to chrome.

Anyone have any ideas?

Monday, March 04, 2013 3:24 AM

Answers

• I have had this problem for several months with IE9, so I thought upgrading to IE10 might resolve the issue. It did not.

However, I found the instructions below in another thread, and am now able to open a new tab in IE. I had to set the value to 0, though, 1 didn't work. 

Solution:

Open 
    registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet 
    Explorer\Main, create a DWORD value, and name it 
    TabProcGrowth.

TabProcGrowth=0: Tabs will be created as threads(instead 
    of processes) in the iexplore.exe process(only 1 process exist, thus no save 
    path resets);

TabProcGrowth=1: Tabs will be created as separate 
    sub-processes according to different mandatory integrity 
    levels;

TabProcGrowth>1: Tabs will be created as separate 
    sub-processes until the maximum number of tabs(specified by this value) is 
    reached;

No TabProcGrowth value: Default, amount of free physical memory 
    will determine the number of sub-processes.

I set it to 1 and is working 
    after restarting IE.

There are several other suggestions in the thread, but this was the only one that worked for me.

http://tinyurl.com/c387s2b

Monday, March 04, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the reply by mph614 and see if the solution can resolve the issue.

Here is a related article you may refer to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archive/2009/03/09/opening-a-new-tab-may-launch-a-new-process-with-internet-explorer-8-0.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:30 AM

All replies

• The irony is that if you provide a link, I'll have to copy the shortcut and paste it into a new blank window. Very frustrating.
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:26 AM
  • I have had this problem for several months with IE9, so I thought upgrading to IE10 might resolve the issue. It did not.

However, I found the instructions below in another thread, and am now able to open a new tab in IE. I had to set the value to 0, though, 1 didn't work. 

Solution:

Open 
    registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet 
    Explorer\Main, create a DWORD value, and name it 
    TabProcGrowth.

TabProcGrowth=0: Tabs will be created as threads(instead 
    of processes) in the iexplore.exe process(only 1 process exist, thus no save 
    path resets);

TabProcGrowth=1: Tabs will be created as separate 
    sub-processes according to different mandatory integrity 
    levels;

TabProcGrowth>1: Tabs will be created as separate 
    sub-processes until the maximum number of tabs(specified by this value) is 
    reached;

No TabProcGrowth value: Default, amount of free physical memory 
    will determine the number of sub-processes.

I set it to 1 and is working 
    after restarting IE.

There are several other suggestions in the thread, but this was the only one that worked for me.

http://tinyurl.com/c387s2b

Monday, March 04, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the reply by mph614 and see if the solution can resolve the issue.

Here is a related article you may refer to:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archive/2009/03/09/opening-a-new-tab-may-launch-a-new-process-with-internet-explorer-8-0.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:30 AM
  • I have the same issue. I have IE10 running on Windows 8, and it doesn't matter which way i try to open Internet Explorer, it opens with a blank screen, and even though the favourites menu opens up, it will not open up any webpage, either from there, or from directly typing it into the address bar, or by following a link. I get no error messages, and the settings are all greyed out except File and Safety, and nothing happens if I click on them anyway. I am using either Chrome or Firefox browsers, and occasionally Opera, and generally I have no problems with them, but some websites do work better in IE, but not on my machine! I have anew HP Ultrabook with Core i5.  When I first got the laptop in December last year, I had no problems getting IE, and since then I have not done anything to the browser that I am aware of - no system changes or anything I can think of that would have caused this problem, but it has been about 4 months now that I have not been able to use IE. 

I will be very interested to try any help I can get, because it is very frustrating.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:38 AM
  • I've experienced this issue off and on across 4 different machines, Win7 and Win8, and IE 8 through 10.  This new feature needs to be fixed rather than re-introduced with each new IE release.

Using the information mph614 provided, I tried the same setting - DWORD TabProcGrowth = 1.   Didn't work.  But zero did.   This doesn't make a lot of sense.

blive

Monday, June 17, 2013 9:04 PM
  • The Registry edit didn't work for me, but this did: 

Info posted above from Callous:

Hello all. I've tried all of the above recommendations to no success. Thx for the suggestions but I found the solution for us all

"Complete Internet Repair" is the application's name and it can be downloaded off of CNET via download(dot)com. Out of all of the available options to choose from I checked Repair Internet Explorer ONLY.

The direct download from CNET:  "Complete Internet Repair"  (I can't post link because I a new member to site, haven't verified my address yet.)

WARNING: After the application runs it will force you to reboot and close any and all apps or windows. All of your troubles will be over BUT the reboot is not a request. SAVE any projects that are open because the system WILL REBOOT. Voila.

Monday, November 04, 2013 10:32 AM
  • In the process of trying to fix this issue, including the regedit method of the TabProcGrowth (which didn't work, DWORD value 0 or 1, nothing.)

Today I tried a bunch of things at once, and one -or all of them together- finally worked.

The one that I think really did the trick was taking Administrator "ownership" of the regsvr32.exe folder.

I had tried the "Complete Internet Repair" tool but it had failed, and the error log indicated that it couldn't open or (somehow work with) regsvr32.exe.

First thing I did was perform a Windows Explorer search for "regsvr32.exe"

Then, I followed the Windows Explorer instructions on how to take ownership by right-clicking the regsvr32.exe file, > Properties > Security. In Advanced, > Owner tab, clicked edit, > Change Owner To > (selected) Administrators.

I had to do this to several of the regsvr32.exe's, there were four of them. Next- I changed permissions for the file owners to full permissions. There was a security warning that this could open the system to vulnerabilities, etc., etc.

when I first looked at them, all the regsvr32.exe files had belonged only to "trusted installer", and as a result, no one else could edit or do anything but read the file. All the permissions were greyed out. Once I owned the file I could give Administrators full permissions, which I did.

After this, I reset all IE Advanced Settings and also reset Internet Explorer settings in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Between these three things, tabs now open with the link contents in them, instead of a blank-nothing page.

I think the reason this is such a tricky problem is that there are probably different conditions which can produce the same result, so no easy one-answer-fits-all solution.

Hopefully this helps some of you-

Dr.B

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:37 AM