none
email links open in IE 9 normal window instead of InPrivate window

Question

• I am using IE 9, Outlook 2010, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/SP1, after a full cold install, not an upgrade.

I launch a "normal" IE 9 window, then I open an InPrivate window from that window. When I click on links in emails, I want (and expect) them to open in the current (most recently used/accessed/on top of the stack) IE 9 InPrivate window, but they don't - they open in the original "normal" IE 9 window.

I do not have this issue when using IE 8 that I launch the same way (I have tried this with different computers running Windows XP, Vista 64-bit, and Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit). The links opened as I expected, in the InPrivate window. I am not in a position to try IE 9 on those other versions of Windows, but I feel the tests I have done prove that the issue is with IE 9.

One way I can get links to open in the InPrivate window is to close the original "normal" IE 9 window, so the InPrivate window is the only IE window open. Another way is to start by right-clicking the IE 9 taskbar icon and choose "Start InPrivate Browsing" so the initial IE 9 window opens as InPrivate, and then do another right-click on the taskbar icon and launch the 2nd IE 9 window as the "normal" one. I would prefer doing NEITHER of these "workarounds".

I also verified that when I launch a "normal" IE 9 window and do CTRL-N to launch a 2nd "normal" window, links open in that 2nd "normal" window, which is what I expect to happen!

I have completely re-installed Windows 7 w/SP1 from DVD and reproduced the problem with IE 9 as the only browser installed.

(added) I have not changed IE tab options from the default.  I have also tried IE 9 64-bit and it exhibits the same issue.

Any ideas how to get this working the way I want it to (and the way it USED to work in IE 8), or is this a bug in IE 9?

• Edited by asapReps Monday, October 10, 2011 12:44 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 12:47 AM

All replies

• Any ideas how to get this working the way I want it to (and the way it USED to work in IE 8), or is this a bug in IE 9

My guess would be that a "bug" was fixed and that the old behaviour was an unintended consequence of it.   I certainly would not want the effect that you are after.   E.g. it happened to me that way accidentally and I ended up trying to post a reply, whereupon of course I was prompted for login.   What I regard as a bug is something that used to work in OE at least (I can't remember if it ever worked in WLMail) and that it being able to drag a link to wherever I want it to open.   But I suspect it will probably turn out to be some "security" feature.   Security trumps usability, don't you know?   ; }

---

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:26 AM
  • re: E.g. it happened to me that way accidentally and I ended up trying to post a reply, whereupon of course I was prompted for login.

I don't follow - if you launched IE 9 normally, then launched InPrivate from that window, then went to some email program and clicked a link, you imply it opened in the InPrivate window, as you were prompted for login. That is NOT what I am experiencing. My link would have opened in the normal IE 9 window.

I think I have gotten the idea that I am not going to get anywhere with this. So be it.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:40 AM